The Student Room Group

Where y'all applying to for 2012?

Hey everyone, just wondering where and what for people are applying for this year?

I have applied and accepted an unconditional for civil engineering at Heriot Watt.

Seeing as a few people have started using a template, i'll post it here :smile:

Where are you from?
What are you applying to?
What grades do you need?
What grades have you got?
Have you got any offers?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm looking to apply for pharmacy at:

Strathclyde
Robert Gordon University
King's College London
London School of Pharmacy

then maybe a wee other biochemistry/microbiology style course.

An unconditional to Strathclyde is my deep desire, and I got 5 As this year so I'm hopeful a woman at the open day said they'd want Bs at my Advanced Highers to "show I'd been keeping up my studying", but then a nice Australian man told me people with 3 As had a good chance of getting an unconditional for pharmacy. Let's hope she was just giving me a wee scare.
Reply 2
Original post by Armaros

Strathclyde
Robert Gordon University
King's College London

An unconditional to Strathclyde is my deep desire, and I got 5 As this year so I'm hopeful a woman at the open day said they'd want Bs at my Advanced Highers to "show I'd been keeping up my studying", but then a nice Australian man told me people with 3 As had a good chance of getting an unconditional for pharmacy. Let's hope she was just giving me a wee scare.

If you meet the entry requirements you'll get an unconditional i'm pretty sure - they'd only want B's in your AH's if you were applying for 2nd year entry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Armaros

Strathclyde
Robert Gordon University
King's College London

Yeah I've seen people with 3 A's get unconditionals to Strathclyde this year.
You'll be fine. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Inlineadam
If you meet the entry requirements you'll get an unconditional i'm pretty sure - they'd only want B's in your AH's if you were applying for 2nd year entry :smile:

Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Yeah I've seen people with 3 A's get unconditionals to Strathclyde this year.
You'll be fine. :biggrin:

I'm reassured, thanks!! I can't say I'm confident about ma AHs; we have a biology teacher who mistakes adenine for adenosine (and not just in the typo sense; actually thinks they're the same), thinks prokaryotes don't have DNA, etc. But this isn't the place for biology gossip :P
Reply 5
Original post by Armaros
I'm reassured, thanks!! I can't say I'm confident about ma AHs; we have a biology teacher who mistakes adenine for adenosine (and not just in the typo sense; actually thinks they're the same), thinks prokaryotes don't have DNA, etc. But this isn't the place for biology gossip :P

Indeed please it is not! I crashed it for 3 periods, and hateeeeed it so much!

Just not technical enough for me lol :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Armaros

Oh my! That's rather concerning! I'm sure you'll pull through. :awesome: I enjoyed AH Biology :yep:

Tbh it's not really as simple as that. Some Universities it's more "if you don't meet the entry requirment.. you're rejected. If you do you're considered". I'm sure you'll be fine though :biggrin:
Original post by Armaros

Lmao, wtf?? Did your school hire a P.E. teacher with a Sports Science degree to teach biology?
Reply 8
hey everyone, just wondering where and what for people are applying for this year?

I'm applying for Civil engineering at:

Herriot watt
Glasgow
Dundee
Aberdeen
Strathclyde

Got AAABB so hopefully i should get 5 unconditonals :smile:, the highest entry qual for those 5 is herriot watt with AAAB , but having that and bettering it , hopefully i should get unconditionals :smile:

I got the same grades as you. :smile:

Applying for Mechanical Engineering at:

Glasgow
Strathclyde
Edinburgh

and 2 other Unis which I haven't decided on yet. I really want to go to Glasgow though, just applying to the other Unis because.. well I need to fill my UCAS application I guess :/.
Reply 9
Geology/Earth Science at:

- St.Andrews
- Edinburgh
- Glasgow
- Aberdeen

Got AAABB so hoping for unconditionals from glasgow/aberdeen although my dream is St.Andrews :P
Reply 10
Original post by Evan7788
Geology/Earth Science at:

- St.Andrews
- Edinburgh
- Glasgow
- Aberdeen

Got AAABB so hoping for unconditionals from glasgow/aberdeen although my dream is St.Andrews :P

I'd love to go to St Andrews, but they don't do much engineering courses :frown:
Reply 11
Graphic Design at Napier is my top choice. RGU is looking good at the moment too.
Reply 12
I'd love to go to St Andrews, but they don't do much engineering courses :frown:

Unlucky! It's a great looking university :smile:
Original post by Armaros

Strathclyde
Robert Gordon University
King's College London

I'm applying for pharmacy as well! Were you at the Strathclyde open day? I was, imagine if we'd walked past each other! :lol: I didn't really love Strathclyde though, at least, not enough to want to study there for four years. Also got 5 A's at Higher, which subjects did you take? Other than chemistry, since that goes without saying.
At the moment I think I want to apply to:

Edinburgh-Chemistry with a year abroad
St Andrews-Chemistry
Bath-Pharmacy
Cardiff-Pharmacy
UEA-Pharmacy

Haven't been to all the open days yet so I don't know which are my favourites. Looked around Cardiff last Friday and absolutely loved it, the rest of my month is taken up visiting the rest. :lol: But from the prospectuses I'm torn between Bath and UEA as my favourites for pharmacy. Although to be honest, I think I'd be happy at any of them really.

I'm worried about the problems this might cause with my personal statement though. Because pharmacy want you to talk a lot about your interest in pharmacy, drugs you're particularly interested in, and show a commitment to that course. I know they don't look kindly on med students putting it as a back up, and wondered if they'd treat me the same way if I appear to have a Chemistry/Pharmacy PS. Thing is that I really couldn't see myself studying at Strathclyde or RGU for 4 years, so that rules out the only 2 pharmacy uni's in Scotland, and Chemistry's really what I'd like to do if I couldn't do pharmacy. So I'm wondering if I should just focus my PS on pharmacy or not? I would also include something about my interest in German, I was going to do that anyway but I'd have to for the Edinburgh course. Any advice would be very, very welcome. :biggrin:

Also, anyone know what the chances would be of getting an unconditional from Edinburgh and St Andrew's with just Highers? Or do they give you offers based on Advanced Highers? UEA and Bath are asking for 3 A's at AH (it's bloody ridiculous, but oh well), so I'm prepared for the worst. But I'd like to have some lower offers as a security thing, since 3 A's is really, really hard to get.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by aspirinpharmacist

I'm applying for pharmacy as well! Were you at the Strathclyde open day? I was, imagine if we'd walked past each other! :lol: I didn't really love Strathclyde though, at least, not enough to want to study there for four years. Also got 5 A's at Higher, which subjects did you take? Other than chemistry, since that goes without saying.

Yeee, I went to the open day, and I can't say it inspired me all that much! Probably would have thought it was decent if I lived in Glasgow and just popped in for a tour, but I live ~120 miles away and had to come up the day before and stay the night to go. Bit of an anticlimax after that! Still, I'll probably end up going there just because of the location in relation to ma family and friends. I'm a shallow man

Maybe you saw me and my mum in the pharmacy lecture, identifiable by our wee plastic cups of water! Thought it was a public machine but nobody else used it :frown:

I took English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Admin last year. A bit generic some may say :frown:
Original post by Armaros
Yeee, I went to the open day, and I can't say it inspired me all that much! Probably would have thought it was decent if I lived in Glasgow and just popped in for a tour, but I live ~120 miles away and had to come up the day before and stay the night to go. Bit of an anticlimax after that! Still, I'll probably end up going there just because of the location in relation to ma family and friends. I'm a shallow man

Maybe you saw me and my mum in the pharmacy lecture, identifiable by our wee plastic cups of water! Thought it was a public machine but nobody else used it :frown:

I took English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Admin last year. A bit generic some may say :frown:

You think you're shallow? I'm worse. My friend's and I were discussing how we'd really love to go a pretty uni, hence my love for Cardiff. :lol: Not that Glasgow isn't an amazing city, because it really is, but Strathclyde itself isn't so awe-inspiring. The rain didn't help either, hard to admire anything when you're soaked through. Nobody told me that it rains more in Glasgow than Aberdeenshire until I'd already packed and gone to my friends house to drive up. Ah, another one making long treks to open days, everyone thinks I'm mad, I took 2 days off school going to Cardiff, taking another one off for Bath, and missing an afternoon before I go to Norwich. Actually, reading that, I am insane. So whereabouts 120 miles from Glasgow are you from?

I don't think I did see you, I was struggling to stay awake that day so I didn't pay as much attention to the people around me than I usually would. Shame, I've always wanted to meet a TSR-ian in the flesh. Think I'm the only girl at my school who uses it. Also the only one who wants to apply south of the border. :lol:

Pretty much the same subjects as me then, if you swap Admin for German. Maybe they are generic, but I love them and they're useful so I don't care. I hated choosing my 6th year subjects, didn't want to let anything go. I'm so sentimental. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Got AAAAB, hoping to apply for Accountancy at:

Glasgow
Strathclyde
Dundee
Edinburgh
Aberdeen

What are the chances that i would get a few unconditionals??
Reply 18
Original post by dufc_gurj
Got AAAAB, hoping to apply for Accountancy at:

Glasgow
Strathclyde
Dundee
Edinburgh
Aberdeen

What are the chances that i would get a few unconditionals??

Fairly high for Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee. Strathclyde and Edinburgh, I'm not too sure about but you've got a strong chance with those grades.
At the moment I think I want to apply to:

Edinburgh-Chemistry with a year abroad
St Andrews-Chemistry
Bath-Pharmacy
Cardiff-Pharmacy
UEA-Pharmacy

Haven't been to all the open days yet so I don't know which are my favourites. Looked around Cardiff last Friday and absolutely loved it, the rest of my month is taken up visiting the rest. :lol: But from the prospectuses I'm torn between Bath and UEA as my favourites for pharmacy. Although to be honest, I think I'd be happy at any of them really.

I'm worried about the problems this might cause with my personal statement though. Because pharmacy want you to talk a lot about your interest in pharmacy, drugs you're particularly interested in, and show a commitment to that course. I know they don't look kindly on med students putting it as a back up, and wondered if they'd treat me the same way if I appear to have a Chemistry/Pharmacy PS. Thing is that I really couldn't see myself studying at Strathclyde or RGU for 4 years, so that rules out the only 2 pharmacy uni's in Scotland, and Chemistry's really what I'd like to do if I couldn't do pharmacy. So I'm wondering if I should just focus my PS on pharmacy or not? I would also include something about my interest in German, I was going to do that anyway but I'd have to for the Edinburgh course. Any advice would be very, very welcome. :biggrin:

Also, anyone know what the chances would be of getting an unconditional from Edinburgh and St Andrew's with just Highers? Or do they give you offers based on Advanced Highers? UEA and Bath are asking for 3 A's at AH (it's bloody ridiculous, but oh well), so I'm prepared for the worst. But I'd like to have some lower offers as a security thing, since 3 A's is really, really hard to get.

Hiya :awesome:

I'm loving this Pharmacy Chat :teeth:

I studied Biology at St. Andrews this year and now moving onto study Pharmacy at RGU :biggrin: (moving out next week :gasp:).

St. Andrews' chemistry department, as you may imagine, is extremly competitive. They not only look for high grades but a strong/keen PS. So if they get the vibes you're not fully into Chemistry they may reject you. St. Andrews does offer a "Chemistry with Pharmacology" degree though. So if you apply for that it may cover up the Pharmacy-related stuff in your PS better.
-But if you're thinking "I just want to do a Chemistry degree.." then don't worry, when you apply to study a subject at St. Andrews it isn't set in stone.. you can change your entire degree if you wanted to (provided you take the relevant modules) so a pure chemistry degree is doable. :fluffy:
You like pretty Universities? Then you'll deffinetly love St. Andrews :yep: (assuming you haven't visited already).

and btw,
Original post by Armaros
x:

Use not visiting RGU? :puppyeyes: I didn't like Strathclyde either.. but I'm not really that keen on Glasgow in general..

Quick Reply

Latest