The Student Room Group

Why hasn't Pakistan been attacked by NATO yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DH-Biker
As far as I heard, that was the suggestion.

Whether its true or not, I'm not sure, but like I said as I heard it seemed that Pakistan would stand and support Iran in the event of the US and Israel attacking Iran.

Pakistan stated that it wouldn't aid the US in a war with Iran, as it did with Afghanisdtan, but that is as far as they will go. They do have an interest in averting a potential war with Iran, as it will have a negative impact on Pakistan's economy. Certainly the increase in bilateral trade between the two and the billion dollar gas pipeline deal would be jeopardised by an attack. However, I doubt Pakistan will take any action greater than statements of condemnation when the war comes. This is the same government that is allowing their own country to be bombarded with drone strikes in return for US dollars. Pakistani officials also warned it would no longer allow US drones to violate it's airspace, and even threatened to shoot them down. This threat became evidently empty by their inaction when the US resumed it's drone strikes in the next 24 hours. They routinely talk big for public opinion, but in reality they will always obey their sugar daddy. The current government and military of Pakistan will not take any military action against the US.

Since when were all wars based upon the possibility of success? Pakistan couldn't dream of defeating the West in its wildest dreams. However, a Nuclear Weapon at the heart of a Nation will cripple it. Pakistan knows it wont take them on, but then again, do you really think that'll factor in for them? As long as there's one nutcase General left, you can guarantee they'll attempt to try it.

General Kayani is far from a lunatic. He didn't even retaliate when the US was killing 24 of his soldiers, over a period of 90 minutes at least, citing the strength of US military as a justification. Instead the army repeatedly sent messages asking the US to cease the bombardment. Keep in mind that Pak military and goverment remain adamant that the attack was deliberate and not accidental, yet still did nothing. I know that Pakistan is often portrayed as some rogue, Islamist, nuclear state, but that is in no way remotely, accurate.

I'd heard China and Pakistan were on some sort of footing. However, I didn't realise they'd actively stated they'd support them. Thanks for clarifying that.

Their alliance is stronger than you may think. China has even officialy warned America that any attack on Pakistan would be construed as an attack on China.

there's no one who can doubt that Pakistan wouldn't want an opportunity to take a bash at Israel as much as the next extremist Islamic Nation. No?

LOL extremist Islamic. Anyway, they haven't shown any real amnimosity towards Israel and have even covertly aided them. In 2009, head of Pakistan's intelligence agency Ahmad Shuja Pasha provided intelligence on potential terrorist attacks in India to Israel. According to the cable, "He had been in direct touch with the Israelis on possible threats against Israeli targets in India".

The only thing the Pakistani government and military care about is money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by ras90
You are a fool if you actually think that Pakistan would attack any nation in the defence of Iran.

Like I said, just what I'd heard. And to be honest, a chance for any Muslim nation to have a scrap at Israel would surely lighten any deal. I can't think of a single Muslim Nation that doesn't want to slap Israel around the face. Can you?

Now granted, they may not openly support them, nor retaliate in direct conjunction via Iran's attack. But I would bet you any money that as soon as Israel steps up the war footing, Pakistan would be straight in there against them. Whilst perhaps not on the side of the Iranians, (for whatever reason, it was a passing comment I heard that Pakistan would support Iran), there's no one who can doubt that Pakistan wouldn't want an opportunity to take a bash at Israel as much as the next extremist Islamic Nation. No?
Reply 22
Original post by B-Man.
Pakistan has an interest in averting a potential war with Iran, as it will have a negative impact on Pakistan's economy. Certainly the increase in bilateral trade between the two and the billion dollar gas pipeline deal would be jeaporidised by an attack. However, I doubt Pakistan will take any action greater than statements of condemnation when the war comes. This is the same government that is allowing their own country to be bombarded with drone strikes in return for US dollars. The current government and military of Pakistan will not take any military action against the US.

Much of this, I didn't know, especially the highlighted. If that's credible, I stand corrected, but I would still say Western Intervention would be enough to kick start war fronting.

Everyone knows what India and Pakistan think of each other, Western Intervention would have India rampaging through Pakistan. If it wasn't for Pakistan's ICBMs, India would roll over any Pakistan military force, even fully deployed.

I did not know, however, that the Pakistan leadership was acting in that way. So thank you for posting that.

Regardless, most Nations would stand against an invasion until the military had no power left. Germany did it, Iraq did it and I would bet money Pakistan will do it. Its only when Civilians are what remains of the nation that one would actually consider giving up.

If the US rolled into Pakistan tomorrow, there is no way they'd simply surrender. If NATO invades Pakistan, they'd have little choice in whether or not to actually go to war.
Reply 23
Like I said, just what I'd heard. And to be honest, a chance for any Muslim nation to have a scrap at Israel would surely lighten any deal. I can't think of a single Muslim Nation that doesn't want to slap Israel around the face. Can you?

Now granted, they may not openly support them, nor retaliate in direct conjunction via Iran's attack. But I would bet you any money that as soon as Israel steps up the war footing, Pakistan would be straight in there against them. Whilst perhaps not on the side of the Iranians, (for whatever reason, it was a passing comment I heard that Pakistan would support Iran), there's no one who can doubt that Pakistan wouldn't want an opportunity to take a bash at Israel as much as the next extremist Islamic Nation. No?

They would not.

Any attack against Isreal would be an attack against the US.

You really are crazy if you think Pakistan would try to do anything like that vs the US.
We can't just simply say that Pakistan hands out kalashinkovs to terrorists. Its much more complicated by that. Since the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan in 1989, Pakistan was developing this complex network of militias. They have formed a highly organised terrorist factory where people are brainwashed from an early age. It will take time to break down this system.
Firstly we have to ask ourselves the question, what does the USA want in Afghanistan? It's not minerals (although its a bonus) because the USA has already spent more than one trillion dollars to date and with many mineral contracts sold to resources-hungry China and India, it would be a loss for the USA. The reason why the USA finds Afghanistan so important is due to its strategic location. It neighbours Iran on the West, China in the North and they're relatively close to Russia. If Iran was to attack Israel, the USA would be able to respond immediately from Afghanistan.
When you hear on the news that NATO is leaving by 2014, they mean pulling out the majority of soldiers but keeping between 15 000-20 000 soldiers at bases around the country. The have to accept that under no circumstance whatsoever is the USA going to completely abandon Afghanistan. Afghanistan after 2014 will just be part of the USAs portfolio of countries in with it has bases.
The USA knows about Pakistan's double game but to date, it has been at its advantage. Think about it carefully. Imagine if the USA demolished all the insurgency back years ago, what would the Afghan people and government have said? Something like ''Thanks you very much for your efforts, its time to leave now.'' The USA would have had no excuse to remain and would have faced huge pressure from the American people back home and the world to pull out. However NATO has been prolonging the war throughout the decade of war in order to give the Afghan people and government a feeling of dependency on the Americans. The government of Karzai is one of the most corrupt and you cannot deny the fact that the USA could easily fix elections to form a new govenment. So why was he able to be elected twice in a row? It's because the USA needs corrupt individuals like him so that the country makes little progess and therefore remains hugely dependent on the Americans. The USA has learned a lot from the Soviet interference in Afghanistan.
Look at the fighting tactics of NATO. Soldiers remain in the base and only engange when a Talib is brave enough to come forward or if they see suspecious behaviour. If nothing happens for days, they go out on foot patrol, where they only engange if they get ambushed. You cannot deny the fact that if they carried out major assault operations on Taliban strongholds throughout this decade of 'war', insurgency would have been a thing of the past.
However your may be thinking, the war has to end at some point. It will end once Hamid Karzai signs the deal that the USA can remain there beyond 2014. Once this is signed, the USA will carry out major operations to rid the insurgency and will stop ignoring Pakistan's actions. The government of Afghanistan will be unable to tell the Americans to leave after this since they signed a deal. People seem to forget that the USA is the main donor to Pakistan and could easily destroy its economy if it simply stopped fundings. But why is the USA not doing this? It will do so if Pakistan carries on its game after the signing of the US-Afghan agreement.
(edited 12 years ago)
bugs bunny's pic on post 19
Reply 26
Original post by RyanT
Have you seen how mad the Russians are about the proposed missile defence shield in Europe?

I really doubt the Americans would be public about the technology if they had it. Do you really think they haven't developed it after half a century of cold war with Soviets armed to the teeth with tens of thousands of nuclear missiles. It exists, they just won't talk about it.

It's a moot point, Pakistan knows it's dead meat if it defends Iran so it won't. Not sure if they would defend Iran anyway, Muslims are often enemies not friends.

The Russian MDS? Or the American "supposed" MDS? :tongue: America has never come close to an ICBM defense. This awful 747 is about as close as they've come to any form of stopping them. Even then, its about as effective as a chocolate kettle. If you launch an ICBM on a cloudy day, the US city targeted is doomed. Launch more then one on a completely clear day, the targeted US city is doomed. :redface:

During the Cold War, the Americans focused development on two systems: A Space based system codenamed Star Wars and a ground based system codenamed Peacekeeper. Both flopped. It took so long and required so much funding that it was unnecessary. America are now limited, like the rest of us, to ABS. Anti Ballistic-Missile. Other warheads designed to track down and destroy the carcass of an ICBM. Weapon systems like Nike Zues, RIM-161, S300 PMU2, Aster 30, SM3, Arrow Interceptor, etc.

Those systems do work, but nothing on the lines of what is a successful counter. Star Wars was going to use energy based weapons to target up to five hundred launched ICBMs, today you'd need over fifty ships with full payload to even have a one-to-one ICBM vs ABM ratio.

America doesn't have more kit, they'd blather about it and how useless ICBM strikes were against them. If they did have it, they'd be straight on the offensive against major nations like Russia and China, who are only holding the US back given they are the other two nations with silo ICBM stations.

The Americans were under the impression that the better ICBM is a better system anyway. So whilst they were creating these fantastic ideas of ABM systems, the Russians were developing state of the art ICBM systems. At any one time during the Cold War, Russia and America could've launched with absolutely no defense from the other nation.
Original post by RyanT
I don't think it's because of the nukes they have on missiles. It's 2012, I'm sure the Americans have a secret way of neutralising them by now. I imagine it's more related to the possibility of nuclear material falling in the hands of terrorists sent to attack the west.

Also, why should we put our countries on the other end of the Pakistan gun barrel? We can just use India for that.

Also in the long-run it's going to increasingly be China's problem. China has a restive Muslim population boardering Pakistan. Why do the Chinese a favour? Some westerners die due to terrorism? Not that big a deal when crunching the numbers over all. Leave them as a festering sore to hurt the development of two future rivals. Pakistan is welcome to keep China and India down.

says dellusional retard who gets international politics knowledge from playing training missions on Command & Conquer games.

Let the grown ups talk now.
Original post by Zeffy
It's a serious question and something I've found baffling. For all the West's talk about "the war on terror" it's pretty obvious that there is a problem with Pakistani and terrorists yet NATO seem to just ignore them.

The terrorists who commited the Mumbai terror attacks were trained by the Pakistan ISI

The ISI supported and organised the bombing of an Indian Embassy in Kabul

"Charities" after the Pakistan floods were found to be sending money to Al Queda

Taliban fighters have recieved training in Pakistan and have been using Pakistani supplied weapons.

Bin Laden was captured less than a mile from the Pakistan equivalent of Sandhurst.

So, why do NATO waste time fannying around with countries such as Iraq and Syria (who they seem to be planning to attack next) when it's obvious Pakistan has their grubby little fingers involved directly with Al Queda.

...because NATO is about defending Europe & America. How is attacking Pakistan defending the EU? :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Original post by ras90
They would not.

Any attack against Isreal would be an attack against the US.

You really are crazy if you think Pakistan would try to do anything like that vs the US.

I'm afraid you missed the point in my posts here:

I'm not saying Pakistan will attack the US or Israel, quite rightly they aren't that idiotic.

However, if Israel and the US attack them, or if another nation took on Israel, they'd dive at the opportunity.

Of course, no nation in their right minds other then Russia or China (perhaps a combined EU force) would take on the US. But there isn't much of a choice when the US knocks on your front door with the 120mm of an Abrams.
America can't take on Nuclear ICBMs. The Boeing 747 with an inbuilt tactical laser destroyer is useless. It only works when the air is extremely clear, it wont work through clouds or dust and it only has a seventeen percent success rate against dummy ICBMs.

Russia coined the use of jet fighters to destroy ICBMs. There's a twnety second window on ICBM take off and a five second window on ICBM descent phase to destroy an in flight ICBM. The Flanker took part in over a dozen tests involving fifteen ICBMs and acquired a 95% success rate. America can't do that, however, as they don't outfit aircraft with "See it, kill it" visors.

Whereas Russian (and many European aircraft) have the ability to fire a missile at a target the visor picks up, the American aircraft are limited to having to point their own aircraft at the target. They also don't have weapons capable of performing such manouveres. The QAAM can track a target at over 50Gs as well as at Mach 6. The closest weapons America can put on the table are the Sparrow and Sidewinder; both only able to take 30Gs and travel much slower.

As long as the reticule on the pilot's helmet in Russian Aircraft is kept on target, a QAAM has a 99% kill rate. Its almost impossible to miss if you can see the target, and more importantly that works through many levels of atmospheric conditions and weather formations.

Whilst Russia is on the forefront of Anti-ICBM tech, America is trudging along behind. I use to think it was the Americans leading with tech like Star Streak, Peacemaker and Colossus systems, but these are simply ideas and not, as I thought, practical applications. Whereas Russia has practical applications in both airborne defenses and ground based defenses.

Nukes are still a threat to Russia, don't get me wrong, but America has no active means of taking them on effectively, unlike the Russians do. Thus, America still ****s the bed when it comes to the possibility of a Nuclear War.

Assuming all this is correct- strong knowledge :beerglass:

I'm surprised that Russia has capability the US doesn't. How do you know this? Why would the US release such information?

What their opinions on Israel aren't that important. The only ones that actually would ever get involved in a war against Israel are Lebanon, Syria and Palestine (even there you could argue only Hamas would). Most of the others value their closeness to the US too much. For the Iranian leaders, Israel is too good a propaganda tool for them to actually want to see the back of.
America can't take on Nuclear ICBMs. The Boeing 747 with an inbuilt tactical laser destroyer is useless. It only works when the air is extremely clear, it wont work through clouds or dust and it only has a seventeen percent success rate against dummy ICBMs.

Russia coined the use of jet fighters to destroy ICBMs. There's a twnety second window on ICBM take off and a five second window on ICBM descent phase to destroy an in flight ICBM. The Flanker took part in over a dozen tests involving fifteen ICBMs and acquired a 95% success rate. America can't do that, however, as they don't outfit aircraft with "See it, kill it" visors.

Whereas Russian (and many European aircraft) have the ability to fire a missile at a target the visor picks up, the American aircraft are limited to having to point their own aircraft at the target. They also don't have weapons capable of performing such manouveres. The QAAM can track a target at over 50Gs as well as at Mach 6. The closest weapons America can put on the table are the Sparrow and Sidewinder; both only able to take 30Gs and travel much slower.

As long as the reticule on the pilot's helmet in Russian Aircraft is kept on target, a QAAM has a 99% kill rate. Its almost impossible to miss if you can see the target, and more importantly that works through many levels of atmospheric conditions and weather formations.

Whilst Russia is on the forefront of Anti-ICBM tech, America is trudging along behind. I use to think it was the Americans leading with tech like Star Streak, Peacemaker and Colossus systems, but these are simply ideas and not, as I thought, practical applications. Whereas Russia has practical applications in both airborne defenses and ground based defenses.

Nukes are still a threat to Russia, don't get me wrong, but America has no active means of taking them on effectively, unlike the Russians do. Thus, America still ****s the bed when it comes to the possibility of a Nuclear War.

India has an Anti BM system correct me if im wrong- which is jointly developed with the russians? for the purpose i presume of knocking pakistani missles out the sky. And doesnt the US have AEGIS mounted on ships which it can send pretty much anywhere?

The whole issue of paksitan and nukes doesnt scan with me im afraid - they obviously want to the world to believe they have significant ability to deliver a nuke strike- whether thats fully believeable given the state of that country and its relative ineffectiveness as a military power throughout its histroy is anotehr question. Saddam was keen to give the impression ot the west that he may have weapons to look the tough guy becuase it served his purposes of keeping the iranians at bay. it turned out to be balls.

And secondly - does anyone really beelive a nuclear armed power would ver use nukes - it effectivley marks the end of human civilisation as we know it if one country fires. A 50 year cold war between 2 nuke armed super powers wen the distance without a nuke being fired - with a lot of posturing and name calling - fizlzing out to the eventual collapse of the soviet economy and the end of communist rule - still they didnt fire one in anger.
I see it hasn't occurred to anyone that Pakistan is a Commonwealth member state.

Also, Pakistan's population is almost 6 times greater than that of either Iraq or Afghanistan for example.

"The war on terror" is a manipulative play on words. Do you HONESTLY, hand on heart, believe that there is such thing as a real threat to the US, UK, France, etc.? "What about that lone wolf, Frenchman from Algeria, who blasted kids to death?" Well, surprise surprise, France brought that upon itself by allying itself with those who blasted Palestinian kids to death.

There is no such thing as terror. There is only war. Funnily enough, these isolated incidents of "terror" are just sprinkles of war, as opposed to real, full blown war, that other people live with. Wars started by "terror-fighters".

When I am really old, maybe 80, I will pick up a history book, maybe a tablet history app or something, and find out the conspiracies of our time. I look forward to that day.
Reply 34
I'm afraid you missed the point in my posts here:

I'm not saying Pakistan will attack the US or Israel, quite rightly they aren't that idiotic.

However, if Israel and the US attack them, or if another nation took on Israel, they'd dive at the opportunity.

Of course, no nation in their right minds other then Russia or China (perhaps a combined EU force) would take on the US. But there isn't much of a choice when the US knocks on your front door with the 120mm of an Abrams.

They may want to attack Isreal, but they cannot attack Isreal with out attacking the US.

Therefor they cant "dive at the opportunity".
Reply 35
Original post by Aramiss18

I'm surprised that Russia has capability the US doesn't. How do you know this? Why would the US release such information?

To the best of my knowledge and reading. I studied modern warfare (from the 20th Century onwards) for six years, as well as warfare from other eras too, but modern warfare has been a hobby to read up on. :redface: Nuclear warfare, ICBMs and subsequent defenses played a big role in that.

Its not that the Russian's have the capability either, more that they've actually tried more "down to earth" methods. Shooting down ICBMs worked well, whereas America was always thinking of the highest point first. Instead of working up to something, they dive for the most advanced point. 50s laser technology... It was a fantastic idea, but completely unrealistic.

America would never actively display that they'd taken ideas from the Russians. It appears Cold War, anti-Communism waves are still strong. For example, on aircraft, the Americans now use valves on many elements of their aircraft, whereas prior it was electronic systems. It was incredibly suseptible to EMP attacks whereas Russian valves were safe. It was the same with American ejector seats, they used circutry and in the case of electrical failure, the pilot couldn't eject... Things like that they reaped from Russian tech.

Russian ABM systems simply outperform American counterparts, though they still aren't super effective. Granted, the Flankers achieved that ratio of success, but that was in controlled circumstances with no enemy air power or enemy anti-air, they weren't under stress and they were dummy ICBMs. However, it works.

People are now buying more Russian kit then American kit. India, especially, was offered contracts with around seventy American weapon manufacturers. The Russians stepped in and out performed everything, so the Indians now use almost all Russian kit. This is repeated along many countries, so now the Americans simply can't say anymore that they run the military front.
Reply 36
Original post by Aramiss18

He is talking B/S.
Reply 37
Alas, Pakistan very much has the capability to attack Western Nations. It can attack the entirety of America from where it sits, as well as Europe. The Russian R7 and Topol out perform the West's typical payload of ICBMs such as the Minuteman and Peacekeeper.

America likes to think it has all the tech, but Russian kit almost always out performs American counterparts. This is true of aircraft, vehicles, firearms and is certainly true of ICBMs. The Topol is a monumental ICBM system; capable of immense destruction at superior ranges and is able to be carried on mobile platforms or stored in silos. However, at present I believe its only in mobile form, whilst though much more vulnerable, it also has the obvious advantage of being mobile.

India will soon overtake it with the Agni III; which is a modern reroll on an old Russian system, the SS-18 Satan or R-36. Though, being next door neighbours, increased range doesn't appeal to them, however the fact its a MIRV system does.

Pakistan is currently developing the Taimur, but until that is complete they don't officially have any ICBM capability and they certainly don't have any naval launch capabilities of any significant range.

The R7s are now defunct in Russia (well they still refit them for satellite launches), so if Pakistan have any castoffs lying around (which I doubt, because of their size) they're welcome to them, they are so big and cumbersome that the US would pick them off before they were ever prepared for launch, it takes the best part of 24 hours to ready them and their launch sites are massive. As far as I know Pakistan doesn't have any Topols, they certainly don't officially.

This is why I say we might regret not acting now to neutralise Pakistan before they acquire ICBMs and a more extreme government.
To the best of my knowledge and reading. I studied modern warfare (from the 20th Century onwards) for six years, as well as warfare from other eras too, but modern warfare has been a hobby to read up on. :redface: Nuclear warfare, ICBMs and subsequent defenses played a big role in that.

Its not that the Russian's have the capability either, more that they've actually tried more "down to earth" methods. Shooting down ICBMs worked well, whereas America was always thinking of the highest point first. Instead of working up to something, they dive for the most advanced point. 50s laser technology... It was a fantastic idea, but completely unrealistic.

America would never actively display that they'd taken ideas from the Russians. It appears Cold War, anti-Communism waves are still strong. For example, on aircraft, the Americans now use valves on many elements of their aircraft, whereas prior it was electronic systems. It was incredibly suseptible to EMP attacks whereas Russian valves were safe. It was the same with American ejector seats, they used circutry and in the case of electrical failure, the pilot couldn't eject... Things like that they reaped from Russian tech.

Russian ABM systems simply outperform American counterparts, though they still aren't super effective. Granted, the Flankers achieved that ratio of success, but that was in controlled circumstances with no enemy air power or enemy anti-air, they weren't under stress and they were dummy ICBMs. However, it works.

People are now buying more Russian kit then American kit. India, especially, was offered contracts with around seventy American weapon manufacturers. The Russians stepped in and out performed everything, so the Indians now use almost all Russian kit. This is repeated along many countries, so now the Americans simply can't say anymore that they run the military front.

It seems so strange to consider another country to be above the US what with it's huge spending. It seems, as you said, the Americans had ideas that were too ambitious for their time and it all came to less than the pragmatic Russian philosophy. The fact that arms manufacturing is a key component of the US economy and they're struggling to shift technology must be worrying from a US and a global standpoint. Certainly all the posturing against Iran makes me think the arms industry simply needs a war, I hope the powers that be don't oblige.

Also, it's stupid if the US rejects ideas simply because they originated from a 'communist' state.

I can't really discuss it further as I simply don't have the knowledge but thanks for the reply.
Reply 39
Much of this, I didn't know, especially the highlighted. If that's credible, I stand corrected.

Here is an article citing the leaked documents in which current Pakistani Prime minister, Gilani says in reference to drone strikes: “I don’t care if they do it as long as they get the right people. We’ll protest in the National Assembly and then ignore it[.]

I have also edited my initial post in response to other posts you have made in this thread.

If the US rolled into Pakistan tomorrow, there is no way they'd simply surrender. If NATO invades Pakistan, they'd have little choice in whether or not to actually go to war.

Absolutley, they would wreak havoc before they fell, potentially even resorting to their nuclear deterent.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending