The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sketch
Thank you for the reply, that was incredibly helpful. And i guess i'm going to have to go for the CompSci with Maths option. Luckily i have a huge passion for maths too! :smile: And the reason for me not doing physics was because of the comprehensive school i attended prior to starting my a Levels at a grammar school; the previous one was the bottom school in the borough (and still is), so it introduced several measures to try to make the school look good, which included a "BTEC Science" qualification - those who did it simply would not be able to cope with the rigour of any science A-Level, it didn't even have exams, and was a complete waste of two years in my opinion. Unfortunately I had to go through that very system but i'm far, far away from it now ! :smile:

Do you know of any specific colleges where this happens? So far, the ones i've read about which seem to have an element of "leniency" to Physics A Levels are Corpus Christi and Trinity Hall. Is this true?

I did Evolution & Behaviour as my 'extra option' in first year despite never having studied Biology or Chemistry before, it was fine. I know several people who did Psychology ab initio as well. The Physics option is pretty tough, I think it'd be incredibly difficult without A-Level Physics. As far as which colleges would let you try I don't really know. If your maths and work ethic are up to scratch then no-one will stop you, and its easy enough to change at the start of first year if you change your mind about your options.
Hi,
I'm currently studying at GCSE level and am thinking about my A level options. A long term goal of mine is to study CS at Cambridge and I'm leaning towards choosing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Computing at A level. However is taking Computing recommended since the first year of uni may overlap at lot of the topics? Should I take another science instead? Any views on this would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Reply 402
Original post by DanKeitley
is taking Computing recommended since the first year of uni may overlap at lot of the topics?

:lol:
Hi,
I'm currently studying at GCSE level and am thinking about my A level options. A long term goal of mine is to study CS at Cambridge and I'm leaning towards choosing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Computing at A level. However is taking Computing recommended since the first year of uni may overlap at lot of the topics? Should I take another science instead? Any views on this would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks

Definitely ditch Computing and take another science. The key point is that A-level Computing overlap topics with CS in name only and it will be woefully shallow and sometimes downright wrong, and they'll teach you all there is to know from the start anyway without assuming you know anything about computing. Another science is much more attractive for your application.
Reply 404
Original post by ukdragon37
Definitely ditch Computing and take another science. The key point is that A-level Computing overlap topics with CS in name only and it will be woefully shallow and sometimes downright wrong, and they'll teach you all there is to know from the start anyway without assuming you know anything about computing. Another science is much more attractive for your application.

I don't know... in some ways you're perfectly right, but in others A-level computing can help you get a perspective about what you're going to be studying so help make decisions as to whether to carry it on or not, and it's lead me in to great areas of further study which I'm sure would not be a bad thing to talk about during interviews. I think the AQA exam board is pretty accurate and it really does cover a lot of stuff and if I hadn't taken it, I would still be pretty clueless about what computing really was about.

I think one of the key criteria in whether choosing to study computing a level at a certain school lies in the exam board(AQA preferred on the cambridge website) and the teachers. Luckily my teachers seem to know what they're doing so I'm loving my course.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a look at the course itself, and if it seems to fit your needs and the teachers seem alright, I don't need why not give it a go if it's only for AS. You could take it as a fifth AS. I certainly think you could do a lot worse by taking a subject you're not really that interested in just due to the fact that you don't want to take a course due to overlap.
Reply 405
Original post by h2shin
I don't know... in some ways you're perfectly right, but in others A-level computing can help you get a perspective about what you're going to be studying so help make decisions as to whether to carry it on or not, and it's lead me in to great areas of further study which I'm sure would not be a bad thing to talk about during interviews. I think the AQA exam board is pretty accurate and it really does cover a lot of stuff and if I hadn't taken it, I would still be pretty clueless about what computing really was about.

I think one of the key criteria in whether choosing to study computing a level at a certain school lies in the exam board(AQA preferred on the cambridge website) and the teachers. Luckily my teachers seem to know what they're doing so I'm loving my course.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a look at the course itself, and if it seems to fit your needs and the teachers seem alright, I don't need why not give it a go if it's only for AS. You could take it as a fifth AS. I certainly think you could do a lot worse by taking a subject you're not really that interested in just due to the fact that you don't want to take a course due to overlap.

You don't need to do an A level in it though. Just teach yourself some language, Python's a great place to start.

You don't need to know any language at all (other than English and Maths :P) when you start the course at University - but if you have some idea what it's all about, and can do a bit, then obviously that's beneficial to you for all sorts of reasons.

Confidence it's what you want to do, a reason for the interviewers to be confident in your choice of subject "I've been learning Python and I love it!", and an idea of the mindset needed to learn any language - there's a lot of cross-over.
Hmmm yeah, it's tricky. On one hand I'm thinking that I'd really like to study Biology instead if it benefits me more (especially after already taken Computing at GCSE). Yet, on the other I really enjoy computing and it should set me in the right direction. Knowing too much about the subject is definitely better than knowing too little.

Computing A level (according to my brother) is a difficult A level to do and if I did badly and get a B it would look a lot worse than if I'd have got the B in Biology.

I think that I'd be still prepared if I didn't take the A level since I've been learning Java and have even been on the recommended reading list for CS at Cambridge and have started reading them!

Decisions, Decisions....
Knowing too much about the subject is definitely better than knowing too little.

Just to be clear: nobody is worried about this. The question is whether your time is best invested in a qualification where your next stage will involve time spent unlearning the lies-to-children (and occasional plain ol' lies) that tend to be prevalent in these courses. That applicants need not have any formal computing education is not an empty reassurance. Having said that, I don't see any harm in taking Computing at AS if you'd find it more engaging than Biology. Just make sure you take at least double maths and physics on to A2.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 408
Knowing too much about the subject is definitely better than knowing too little.

Without doubt, but that's a total non-issue.

Apart from anything else, I think if you did a Computing AS/2 and then CS degree (especially at somewhere like Cambridge) you'd just regret wasting time and effort on the A-level.

You'd so quickly cover everything and more than the A level course, as would your peers who didn't do the A level, and as such have no regrets.

Just read and code in your spare time - best of everything then.
Why do you think it's popularity falling? Is prospect low?
What sort of work experience necessary for this course, for oxbridge or for other unis?

Why do u think less popular? Do u think there is less prospect in future?
Reply 411
Original post by samitaguha
What sort of work experience necessary for this course, for oxbridge or for other unis?
Aside from the job I held at PC World for 6 moths, I had literally no work experience, and I've got an offer. I think Cambridge tends to look at your academic record rather than work experience you've done, however doing some definitely wouldn't hurt as long as it's relevant.
If I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics, does it really matter if my fourth A level is an essay based subject?
Original post by InvertedLayman
If I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics, does it really matter if my fourth A level is an essay based subject?

No.
Since I last posted I've dropped IT and begun Further Maths (6 months behind). I've quickly caught up with most the content but will be doing FP1 completing the AS in January (will complete the whole further maths A-level by the end of next year)
How much is UMS an issue? Im averaging 83 from the first modules but I was disappointed and probably didn't prepare as much as I should have for A-level and I'm confident to be hitting 90s/mid-90s in the up coming modules.
Will the change of pace encourage them to give me an interview?
I think I've got a lot to be putting in my personal statement and I'm sure I can impress at interview if I can get one but how likely am I to get one?
Would the delay of getting an AS in further maths put them off as well?

(Reminder sorry, Doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing (and now further Maths) and looking to get As in all.)
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm interested in computer science, and I just looked on the website, and only like 70 people are on the course, compared to 600 on the engineering course. So what does this mean? is there a lack of students, or is it just highly contested? and does this make it easier/harder to get in?

And do you reckon i'll have a good chance of getting in, because i'm worried that i'll be up against the reincarnation of steve jobs, when i only know the basics of a couple languages.

The A levels i'm taking are
Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths

I already have an A in as Maths, and am working my @rse off to get an A* at the end of the year, gonna do FM next year, sorry to sound big headed but, i've only just thought of the prospect of cambridge being a reality after the recent as modular results .

Cheers in advance, D'ya Get Meh?
You don't need ICT?

I imagine the engineering course is a combination of physics and maths students on top on the engineering ones?
Original post by D'ya Get Meh?
So what does this mean? is there a lack of students, or is it just highly contested?

A false dichotomy, but the subject is seriously undersubscribed. The Lab are somewhat concerned by this, and have been looking into addressing application numbers. There's a wider issue, though. Computer science has been drawing comparatively few students across the UK and elsewhere for several years now. That said, I don't think it changes things too much for individual applicants. From speaking to staff, it seems they'd rather take fewer students than drastically reduce the quality of the cohort.

And do you reckon i'll have a good chance of getting in, because i'm worried that i'll be up against the reincarnation of steve jobs, when i only know the basics of a couple languages.

As with all subjects, there's a spread of abilities. Of course, there are some extremely accomplished students, but you sound like a fairly unremarkable applicant (in the sense of being neither wildly under- nor overqualified). Apply if you like, it only costs you one place on your form and a potential visit for interview.

Original post by bestofyou
You don't need ICT?

Nope.

I imagine the engineering course is a combination of physics and maths students on top on the engineering ones?

Nope.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
A false dichotomy, but the subject is seriously undersubscribed. The Lab are somewhat concerned by this, and have been looking into addressing application numbers. There's a wider issue, though. Computer science has been drawing comparatively few students across the UK and elsewhere for several years now. That said, I don't think it changes things too much for individual applicants. From speaking to staff, it seems they'd rather take fewer students than drastically reduce the quality of the cohort.

As with all subjects, there's a spread of abilities. Of course, there are some extremely accomplished students, but you sound like a fairly unremarkable applicant (in the sense of being neither wildly under- nor overqualified). Apply if you like, it only costs you one place on your form and a potential visit for interview.

Nope.

Nope.

I have no idea what CS entails. But I could guess quite a large part of it is taught on computers maybe?

It would be harder to accomodate 600 students than it would be 70 for such a class.
Original post by bestofyou
I have no idea what CS entails. But I could guess quite a large part of it is taught on computers maybe?

It would be harder to accomodate 600 students than it would be 70 for such a class.
That's certainly not the reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending