The Student Room Group

I know I won't get into medicine... what to do? :(

Hi,

My parents really expect me to get into medicine... and I really want to as well... but I know I can only get a B in my chemistry AS, because I got such a low grade for my ISA :frown: What can I do? Plus, I have almost no work experience

I'm such a failure...

Sorry for the rant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know very much about the english exam system so I don't know how critical an A at chemistry is in AS. Though it would really be a good idea to get some work experience. If you know anyone that works in a hospital or GP surgery, ask them if they/someone they know would be able to get you some work experience. Care homes usually don't mind if you volunteer to help out, and that is a great experience to have as it is practical caring, rather than just observation. :smile:
Reply 2
Ok,

Firstly, you're not a failure. Sometimes people really want to do things but get a little delayed, and that's ok.

If you really want to do medicine, why not ask your teachers what to do regarding applying next year? A friend of mine got ABBB in their AS levels and really wanted to apply for medicine. They applied this year but only got into a biomed course and they are trying to achieve better marks this year and are taking retakes. The point is, you could always apply and then perhaps firm any course you get into so you know come August when results come out that you may have a back-up plan of some sort.

Hope this helps in some way :smile:
Reply 3
The most important thing is to get the work experience! You can always resit certain exams etc or you can apply for one of the medical foundation degrees!
Original post by bownessie
The most important thing is to get the work experience! You can always resit certain exams etc or you can apply for one of the medical foundation degrees!

But wouldn't universities really hate it if they saw I resat my AS-Levels in Year 13? :frown:
Reply 5
Try to get a high B in Chemistry then you may be predicted an A, you only usually need AAA predicted for medicine, not AAA at AS. Do work experience in the summer hols. Basically just work your socks off. If you don't get an offer next year, remember you can always work really hard to get AAA in year 13, take a gap year, get more experience and reapply.
Reply 6
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Hi,

My parents really expect me to get into medicine... and I really want to as well... but I know I can only get a B in my chemistry AS, because I got such a low grade for my ISA :frown: What can I do? Plus, I have almost no work experience

I'm such a failure...

Sorry for the rant.

Is there any opportunity to retake one of the chemistry experiments again?

Have you already taken any other modules in chemistry? By my calculations, you could get 0/60 in the ISA and still get an A, so I wouldn't put yourself down too early.
Reply 7
But wouldn't universities really hate it if they saw I resat my AS-Levels in Year 13? :frown:

Nope, I don't think they care to be honest, as long as you get your A levels in a 2 year period
Reply 8

They won't see- you apply at the beginning of year 13 before any resits, you don't even have to put your AS grades down (unless you drop a subject at AS), you can just show your predicted grades. Which would hopefully be AAA :smile:

Apart from that start getting some work experience as soon as possible. You may be able to resit your isa next year, and even other chemistry exams if necessary. It's possible to go from a B for chemistry at AS to an A at A2 with a few resits and hard work! :smile:
Original post by niksta
Try to get a high B in Chemistry then you may be predicted an A, you only usually need AAA predicted for medicine, not AAA at AS. Do work experience in the summer hols. Basically just work your socks off. If you don't get an offer next year, remember you can always work really hard to get AAA in year 13, take a gap year, get more experience and reapply.

What's a gap year? Is it a year off you take after Year 12? And then after that gap year do you go back to school for Year 13? I'm a bit confused...
Also, when would I reapply? This time next year?
Original post by mel608
They won't see- you apply at the beginning of year 13 before any resits, you don't even have to put your AS grades down (unless you drop a subject at AS), you can just show your predicted grades. Which would hopefully be AAA :smile:

Apart from that start getting some work experience as soon as possible. You may be able to resit your isa next year, and even other chemistry exams if necessary. It's possible to go from a B for chemistry at AS to an A at A2 with a few resits and hard work! :smile:

Yes but if I apply at the beginning of year 13, I'll have to give them the "bad" grades I got at AS... before the re-sit... so what would be the point of resitting anyway? And how do my teachers know what predicted grades to give me?
Reply 11
What's a gap year? Is it a year off you take after Year 12? And then after that gap year do you go back to school for Year 13? I'm a bit confused...
Also, when would I reapply? This time next year?

You would take a gap year after you've finished your A levels (after year 13) then reapply after you get your A level results.
Original post by niksta
You would take a gap year after you've finished your A levels (after year 13) then reapply after you get your A level results.

Ah, I see. Do many people take gap years? Do you think it's worth it?
Also, is it likely I'll have more of a chance if I do take a gap year?

Sorry for all the questions :cool:
Reply 13
Yes but if I apply at the beginning of year 13, I'll have to give them the "bad" grades I got at AS... before the re-sit... so what would be the point of resitting anyway? And how do my teachers know what predicted grades to give me?

To be fair a B isn't "bad" at all. The point of resitting would be that you'll have more of a chance of getting an A at A level, which you will need to get into medicine.
It's not impossible obviously, but you'll be facing tough competition - people with straight A's and shedloads of work experience, and this is for a very competitive subject. Judging by your original post, let's be honest here, this isn't your dream it's your parents. People who are truly committed would at least make an effort to find work experience. Perhaps you should consider another path. If you choose not to, then good luck.
Reply 15

Most medical schools don't look at your AS grades as part of their academic selection criteria, only places like Cambridge, UCL and perhaps a couple of others I'm unaware of. The important things are GCSEs and A2 predictions. Different schools calculate A2 predictions in different ways, in my school it was just a case of the teacher predicting one grade above the AS grade and I think a lot of places do this. I had 4 Bs at AS and got into medicine first time round. Just make sure you get the experience and those all important AAA predictions.

Also not sure what you mean by applying at 'beginning' or 'end of' year 13. The deadline is October of year 13.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Groat
Is there any opportunity to retake one of the chemistry experiments again?

Have you already taken any other modules in chemistry? By my calculations, you could get 0/60 in the ISA and still get an A, so I wouldn't put yourself down too early.

only with full marks though (UMS)
Reply 17
Original post by TenOfThem
only with full marks though (UMS)

Of course, but it's unlikely that they've managed to get 0/60. Even with 20/60 in coursework, 220/240 in an exam is still manageable if you put your mind do it, and should definitely not be seen as an impossibility.
Reply 18
Ah, I see. Do many people take gap years? Do you think it's worth it?
Also, is it likely I'll have more of a chance if I do take a gap year?

Sorry for all the questions :cool:

Quite a lot of people take gap years, as it's pretty hard to get offers for subjects like medicine on the first UCAS cycle. it depends on what you do in your gap year, if you do work exp, volunteering, get a job etc, then yes it could improve your chances
Original post by Elwyn
Most medical schools don't look at your AS grades as part of their academic selection criteria, only places like Cambridge, UCL and perhaps a couple of others I'm unaware of. The important things are GCSEs and A2 predictions. Different schools calculate A2 predictions in different ways, in my school it was just a case of the teacher predicting one grade above the AS grade and I think a lot of places do this. I had 4 Bs at AS and got into medicine first time round. Just make sure you get the experience and those all important AAA predictions.

Also not sure what you mean by applying at 'beginning' or 'end of' year 13. The deadline is October of year 13.

So you got all Bs at AS but got predicted As at A2? How is that possible?

Also, was it hard to get in? How much work experience did you have?

:smile:

Quick Reply