Additional Chemistry

Diamond is a form of carbon.

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
b) an element
c) an ionic compound
d) a mixture

---
I am aware it is made up purely of carbon but it is not on the periodic table, so is it classed as an element or not? What is the answer please
Original post by PrinceUpsb

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
b) an element
c) an ionic compound
d) a mixture

---
I am aware it is made up purely of carbon but it is not on the periodic table, so is it classed as an element or not? What is the answer please

It is a specific physical form of an element. This is known as an allotrope. Most elements have two or more distinct physical forms. For example, oxygen exists as oxygen gas and ozone.

The different allotropes may arise due to different molecular arrangements, or due to different lattices of molecules and/or atoms.

Carbon has several identified allotropes, diamond, graphite, fullerenes, graphene.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
It is a specific physical form of an element. This is known as an allotrope. Most elements have two or more distinct physical forms. For example, oxygen exists as oxygen gas and ozone.

The different allotropes may arise due to different molecular arrangements, or due to different lattices of molecules and/or atoms.

Carbon has several identified allotropes, diamond, graphite, fullerenes, graphene.

But they are all still classed as the element 'carbon', as well as having their specific 'allotrope' names? Am I right?
Reply 3

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
b) an element
c) an ionic compound
d) a mixture

---

The answer is A as it is a giant covalent lattice where each carbon is bonded to four others.
Reply 4
Original post by Snowdog94
The answer is A as it is a giant covalent lattice where each carbon is bonded to four others.

That is what I thought but the mark scheme says its B
But they are all still classed as the element 'carbon', as well as having their specific 'allotrope' names? Am I right?

Well obviously as it consists of only Carbon atoms. Carbon has many allotrope like Graphite, Diamond, Buckminsterfullerene. I assume the answer is A because it's not a compound. Compounds have more than one element. I guess you could call it Carbon because that's what it is. It's like calling O2 or N2 Oxygen or Nitrogen, despite them being in the diatomic state.
(edited 11 years ago)

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
b) an element
c) an ionic compound
d) a mixture

---

It is a form of carbon, and contains just that, so is classed as an element (allotrope). There are others, such as Graphite :smile:

just think of oxygen, the molcule is diatomic (has two atoms) but we always consider the diatomic molecule to be the element oxygen. The same with the halogens :smile:

A compound is always more than one type of atom. O2 is not a compound just as diomond isn't :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Snowdog94

No, it's not a compound, it's an element
Reply 8
Our teacher and revision guide says covalent compound of a lattice structure. But I do edexcel in my science exams so it may be less advanced?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by theGeezus
Our teacher and revision guide says covalent compound of a lattice structure. But I do edexcel in my science exams so it may be less advanced?

Your teacher and revision guide are wrong (if they say that)!!!!

Compounds MUST have two or more elements chemically combined...

... it's the definition of a compound.

The very word "compound" means being made up of different parts.
Reply 10
It's an element since diamond is an allotrope which means it's an alternative form of the same element (carbon) in the same state (solid). Answer should be B, I think.

Should be B as it's an allotrope.

Quick Reply

Latest