The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gemma25
Hi Claire,

I wouldn't worry about accommodation, you still have 3 months to sort it and no-one I've spoken to has sorted it yet. x

Thanks Gemma, it's a relief to know that everyone else is in the same position. I'll keep the freaking out on hold for a while :smile: xx
Reply 1021
Original post by dreamyfleur
Ah thanks lovely good luck on yours although I'm sure you will be fine!! Ah I see I'm going to be commuting so I don't have to worry about accomodation but a lot of the 2nd years there said the halls were great! I joined yes but I am waiting to be added :smile: xxx

Thanks, I already know I've done well enough to get a 2:1 so I'm not too anxious. Ah, lucky you, how far will your commute be? Yeah I actually found out today there's a building that used to be halls but is now privately owned which is cheap and has car parking so a good back up! xxx
Reply 1022
Original post by Claire Moore
Thanks Gemma, it's a relief to know that everyone else is in the same position. I'll keep the freaking out on hold for a while :smile: xx

Yeah, Paula sent an e-mail today saying the e-mail list will go round on Thursday so hopefully after that people will start grouping into possible houses. In the meantime we have plenty of medical stuff to sort out which is stressing me out =p xxx
Reply 1023
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
I think I might go up on Tuesday 10th July, as I only have Tuesdays off work. When are you thinking of going? xxx

Rachel, I'm going to go on the 10th as well! xxx
Reply 1024
Ah thanks lovely good luck on yours although I'm sure you will be fine!! Ah I see I'm going to be commuting so I don't have to worry about accomodation but a lot of the 2nd years there said the halls were great! I joined yes but I am waiting to be added :smile: xxx

I'm not the only one commuting then? Yay! Where are you commuting from? xxx
I'm now 2nd in the waiting list for Essex! So desperate to join you guys on the course! What do you think my chances are? I'm thinking it won't happen this year...:/
just had an email from UCL today to say a place had opened up & did i want to accept it! completely not expecting to hear from them - very happy but a little anxious about how fees are working? if anyone has any info id really appreciate it! x
Original post by geebee07
Rachel, I'm going to go on the 10th as well! xxx

Fab :smile: Hopefully will see you there then! Are you going in the morning or the afternoon? I'm going between 3 & 4pm as i'm getting the train up to Essex and from Somerset it takes about 4 hours to get there.....fun times, lol! xxx
Original post by Alr22
Hey,

nope i've not heard anything yet, although my cheque has been cashed so I'm assuming she's received my acceptance letter! I'm getting quite impatient waiting to hear more so hopefully we'll get the next email this week. Yep, I think setting up a facebook group would be a good idea :smile:

Abi xxx

Hiya,

Just wondering are you looking to house-share in Colchester or have you already got your accomodation sorted/ going into Postgrad Halls? xxx
Original post by rachel2011
just had an email from UCL today to say a place had opened up & did i want to accept it! completely not expecting to hear from them - very happy but a little anxious about how fees are working? if anyone has any info id really appreciate it! x

Congratulations :smile: That must have been a nice surprise! x
Reply 1030
Hi everyone,

I'm on the Essex MSc course already, just coming to the end of the 1st year... randomly got an email from TSR so thought I'd check out the SLT thread!

anyway if anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I know I was stressing about everything before I started- well done everyone that got places!

for those of you on the waiting list, in our year quite a few that were on the list got on in the end so am sure you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 1031
Original post by sp06lll
Hi everyone,

I'm on the Essex MSc course already, just coming to the end of the 1st year... randomly got an email from TSR so thought I'd check out the SLT thread!

anyway if anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I know I was stressing about everything before I started- well done everyone that got places!

for those of you on the waiting list, in our year quite a few that were on the list got on in the end so am sure you'll be fine :smile:

Hey, hope you're enjoying the course!

I was just wondering about books, are there any you thought were most useful for first year? And did you end up buying loads or just taking them out of the library?

Thanks, Gemma x
Reply 1032
Hi,

There's a book by Kersner & Wright called Speech and Language Therapy: The decision-making process when working with children which is good for an overview of all the things you learn in year 1.. although they don't like you to use that too much in essays etc.

We also had to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/phonetics-Peter-Roach-Books/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Phonetics&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3APhonetics%2Cp_lbr_books_authors_browse-bin%3APeter%20Roach&page=1

so you'll prob need this but might be worth waiting as things could always change!

I bought a couple at the beginning which were recommended before we started but other than the Roache one I just mentioned I haven't even opened the others! The librarys not brilliant but its good enough and we're encouraged to use journal articles more anyway.
Reply 1033
Original post by sp06lll
Hi,

There's a book by Kersner & Wright called Speech and Language Therapy: The decision-making process when working with children which is good for an overview of all the things you learn in year 1.. although they don't like you to use that too much in essays etc.

We also had to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/phonetics-Peter-Roach-Books/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Phonetics&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3APhonetics%2Cp_lbr_books_authors_browse-bin%3APeter%20Roach&page=1

so you'll prob need this but might be worth waiting as things could always change!

I bought a couple at the beginning which were recommended before we started but other than the Roache one I just mentioned I haven't even opened the others! The librarys not brilliant but its good enough and we're encouraged to use journal articles more anyway.

Thanks for your help. Those two you mentioned were on our reading list but wasn't sure if it was just for pre-reading or if they'd be useful throughout the year, but clearly they are. Yeah I'm used to journal articles for Psychology!
Reply 1034
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Fab :smile: Hopefully will see you there then! Are you going in the morning or the afternoon? I'm going between 3 & 4pm as i'm getting the train up to Essex and from Somerset it takes about 4 hours to get there.....fun times, lol! xxx

Oh no! That's a bit of a long journey! I'm going in the morning as it doesn't take me long and the 2 hours is a bigger window in case the train runs late or something and I also then have my whole Tuesday after to do something too
xxx
Reply 1035
No probs :smile: il check back on here every now and then so if you have any other q's feel free to ask :smile:

Original post by sp06lll
No probs :smile: il check back on here every now and then so if you have any other q's feel free to ask :smile:

Hi I just wondered what date the course ends on second year? I'm planning my wedding so just wanted to check I won't still be at Uni xx
So im guessing that my chances of getting into Essex now are pretty slim even though im 2nd on the waiting list :redface:... I really dont think anyones going to drop out now! So im thinking of trying to apply for Greenwich...to see what my chances are but it says the course is a PGDip...Anyone know what the difference is?

Natalie xxxx
Reply 1038

Hi I just wondered what date the course ends on second year? I'm planning my wedding so just wanted to check I won't still be at Uni xx

I'm not actually sure sorry, you will realise once you get there that they change dates around quite a bit. Is likely to be September but not sure how early on. x
Reply 1039
Original post by Nataliex22
So im guessing that my chances of getting into Essex now are pretty slim even though im 2nd on the waiting list :redface:... I really dont think anyones going to drop out now! So im thinking of trying to apply for Greenwich...to see what my chances are but it says the course is a PGDip...Anyone know what the difference is?

Natalie xxxx

No way, you have a great chance of getting on. In my year 2 people dropped out in the first few weeks of the course and they still went back to the waiting list even once term had started. A girl I know doing physio was also called up a couple of weeks before the start of term and they have a similar process.

I wasn't on the waiting list but there were definitely more than 2 that got a place last year so keep your fingers crossed! :smile:

also the difference with Greenwich is the academic side of the course. An MSc is more advanced academically than a PGDip (not sure to what extent..) but you'd still be a qualified SLT, which is the main point of doing the course so I don't think its too important. I think you could make up credits to make it an MSc later on in your career too. x

Quick Reply

Latest