The Student Room Group

Geology at Cornwall Campus September 2012

Hello there guys, so! who on here is planning to study geology at the amazing Exeters Cornwall Campus this September?

Me personally, I cannot wait :biggrin:
Reply 1
hey I am, it should be a blast :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Morkike
hey I am, it should be a blast :biggrin:

Hey, brilliant, what are you hoping to go into afterwards? Originally I was looking at hydrology but also looking at minerology now after checking out the course modules, anyhow it will be ace!
Reply 3
Original post by MC240384
Hey, brilliant, what are you hoping to go into afterwards? Originally I was looking at hydrology but also looking at minerology now after checking out the course modules, anyhow it will be ace!

Good luck with your geology at Exeter! It is a shame really, I wanted to apply to Exeter for Geology but was put off due to the fact that it was based at the Cornwall Campus.
Reply 4
Original post by 1platinum
Good luck with your geology at Exeter! It is a shame really, I wanted to apply to Exeter for Geology but was put off due to the fact that it was based at the Cornwall Campus.

Cheers :smile: ah no way, where are you heading to study instead?
Reply 5
Cheers :smile: ah no way, where are you heading to study instead?

Southampton hopefully!
Reply 6
Southampton hopefully!

Cool, I chose Soton as insurance choice in the end. Good luck with the course :smile:
Reply 7

I was origionally interested in Hydrogeology and geotechnics side of geology but mining geology seems interesting also after looking into it and will probably end up in that sector if I go to Exeter due to strong links but hopefully should be able to go into others branches of geology also such as hydrogeology all being well :smile: still not 100% sure if I want to do mining engineering over geology both courses seem so full and exciting :confused: going to have decide in first term after luckily being given a place from both and having mining engineering as my insurance choise
Reply 8

put off by the cornwall campus?! its great though and its near the beach with a great city - loads of local geology :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Morkike
I was origionally interested in Hydrogeology and geotechnics side of geology but mining geology seems interesting also after looking into it and will probably end up in that sector if I go to Exeter due to strong links but hopefully should be able to go into others branches of geology also such as hydrogeology all being well :smile: still not 100% sure if I want to do mining engineering over geology both courses seem so full and exciting :confused: going to have decide in first term after luckily being given a place from both and having mining engineering as my insurance choise

Nice choices! to be honest I did look at mining engineering from the brochure and also the syllabus from the website and decided that there seems alot more breadth/choice in the applied geology course, its very diverse, covering a good entry route towards masters degrees or many geology careers straight from undergrad but yet mining engineering will be more practical based and regular trip to the camborne mines. The thing that did catch me about the mining was the use of explosives in the mines, now that would be pretty damn cool! :biggrin:

I hope to focus on the technical aspects in things like surveying for mapping areas, attention to detail for scaling measurements, materials examination and their locations, tectonic plates and so much more.. it will be quite an interesting 3 years though with the student lifestyle next to the coast to go with it that's for sure!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Hello.,:smile: I am currently doing my 3rd Year BE Mining Engineering at College of Engineering,Guindy,Anna University,Chennai,India. I have plans of pursuing my PhD at Royal School Of Mines. Can Somebody tell me whether its worth the try? Will scholarship/stripend be provided? Will it cover all my expenses ? What is the scope of it ? Thanks in advance..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending