The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends on where you want to apply - if you're looking to apply for PBL courses, do the EPQ for sure. But if you want to apply to Oxbridge and maybe Barts, do the 4th A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by genius00
I have considered that, but I think the workload will be too much for me. I found the workload for just AS level challenging.

Oh ok of course that's understandable ; certain PBL universities will appreciate the self-study required by the EPQ, whereas more traditional universities would probably rather you did the fourth subject. You should make your choice based off what universities you're looking at.
Good luck.
I want to study medicine and I'm about to pick my A-levels. I want to know which would give me the best chance at uni. I'm going take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and possibly Physics. I don't want take too many and then get low grades and become extremely stressed, but then again if it will give me a better shot.

What's the best choice? Could I take four and then drop one at AS? Or do 4 all the way? Or just stick with 3?
Reply 4083
you need a 4th AS level, but you only NEED 3 full alevels
Reply 4084
Original post by Collegeisbae
I want to study medicine and I'm about to pick my A-levels. I want to know which would give me the best chance at uni. I'm going take Maths, Chemistry, Biology and possibly Physics. I don't want take too many and then get low grades and become extremely stressed, but then again if it will give me a better shot.

What's the best choice? Could I take four and then drop one at AS? Or do 4 all the way? Or just stick with 3?

physics can be difficult, so if you like a different subject, choose that instead
I've heard many universities say that you really don't get any advantage if you take 4 A-levels. Some like Queen Mary use UCAS tariff, for example, so in their system 4 subjects would be better, but many universities don't even take your A-level predictions/results into account as long as you meet their entry requirements. I think it's far better to stick with 3 and do well in them than to get not-so-great results in 4. The decision is up to you really: if you think you can do well in 4 subjects and actually want to do them all, then sure, why not. If you don't, I don't think it's worth it. You could take all of those to AS level though and then drop one. :smile:
It depends on whether you care about your sixth form education in and of itself or you see it purely as a means to an end. If you really want to learn four subjects and you are interested in all of them just do all four, it isn't that much work. But three will be easier and is all you need for uni (though you should I think do 4 in year 12 then drop one in this case).
Do 4 fully. For medicine Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology are all useful with Bio and Chem being the more important. I think doing all 4 fully will give you an advantage not only in terms of having 4 a levels but also knowledge and work ethic (you will work more with 4 a levels and for medicine that is something you better start liking).

Hello,

Can we safely assume that you are doing the AS (modular) system? as opposed to the linear A level system?

If that's the case, then most universities will expect you to sit a 4th AS subject. However, it is certainly not necessary that you continue your fourth AS subject to A2 level,

The standard entry requirements for most medical schools is AAA. If you decide to study your fourth A level to A2, universities may specify that you get an A grade in this also, which adds extra pressure on you when it comes to exam time.

If you think you can handle this, however, then go for it!

If you were thinking of dropping one after you do AS levels, then the most obvious choice is Physics, as you may find the others slightly more useful in your degree.

As an extra, if you want to check out all of the UK medical school's AS level requirements in light of the new linear system, you can see them here!

Good luck with your decision!

The Medic Portal
Original post by 07cdominic
Oh ok of course that's understandable ; certain PBL universities will appreciate the self-study required by the EPQ, whereas more traditional universities would probably rather you did the fourth subject. You should make your choice based off what universities you're looking at.
Good luck.

Thank you for the information, but how do you know that PBL universities appreciate the EPQ and traditional universities will value the 4th subject? I'm asking because I asked universities, such as Imperial (traditional), who've said that they only look at 3 a-levels. Although they say this, will they still look at the 4th a-level?
Original post by Freyr

Now the new Alevels have come in most medical schools have removed the need for a 4th AS.

Original post by 130398
Do 4 fully. For medicine Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology are all useful with Bio and Chem being the more important. I think doing all 4 fully will give you an advantage not only in terms of having 4 a levels but also knowledge and work ethic (you will work more with 4 a levels and for medicine that is something you better start liking).

This is not true, the only med school which having a 4th A2 is an advantage is barts, all the others give you an offer based on three regardless whether you have done 3 or 4.If you think you can hack three then why not, but you do not need any physics or maths knowledge for medicine that isnt as basic as at GCSE level (psychology and sociology are much more relevant), and spreading yourself to thinly across 4 Alevels could mean a slump in grades, so only take 4 if you definetly think you can hack the workload. AABB will not get you into medicine but AAA will.

if you are worried about workload/struggle with stress then do not take 4, these are 4 of the hardest Alevels and they will be very time consuming to get that A you need overall. Having 4 gives you no advantage at all (unless you apply to barts) so you are basically doing an extra Alevel and all that extra workload because you enjoy the subject. You do not need maths or physics at all for medicine, Psychology and sociology are much more relevant, so dont listen to people telling you to take 4 as you NEED physics and maths because you dont.
Do whatever you feel is best for you, just be wary of spreading yourself to thinly across 4 and missing the grades. Many do 4 and manage to get in each year though so its up to you.
Original post by genius00
Thank you for the information, but how do you know that PBL universities appreciate the EPQ and traditional universities will value the 4th subject? I'm asking because I asked universities, such as Imperial (traditional), who've said that they only look at 3 a-levels. Although they say this, will they still look at the 4th a-level?

No. They literally do not care at all about your 4th A-Level, they just want you to get 3 As or whatever their offer is - only Barts cares because they use a UCAS tariff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
So I'm doing biology, chemistry and history for definite next year for my a levels but struggling with my last option. I'm aiming to go to medical school hopefully as I want to be a doctor. I know maths is desired but as I'm doing biology would it make much difference? I didn't study psychology at GCSE but it seems interesting but then I find maths pretty tricky and would probably stress me out more. But would it be better to do maths or not make much difference in uni applications if I do psychology?
Maths. Definitely maths. 100% maths.
Original post by SamNCFC
Maths. Definitely maths. 100% maths.

i took maths for as, biggest regret as i didnt enjoy it. im good at it, did furthermaths at gcse but its not whether you're good but if you enjoy it.
Original post by rehmanator
i took maths for as, biggest regret as i didnt enjoy it. im good at it, did furthermaths at gcse but its not whether you're good but if you enjoy it.

That's my worry, I enjoy the bits I can do but then when I struggle I hate it. Hence why I'm debating psychology
Original post by abbibott99
Hi,
So I'm doing biology, chemistry and history for definite next year for my a levels but struggling with my last option. I'm aiming to go to medical school hopefully as I want to be a doctor. I know maths is desired but as I'm doing biology would it make much difference? I didn't study psychology at GCSE but it seems interesting but then I find maths pretty tricky and would probably stress me out more. But would it be better to do maths or not make much difference in uni applications if I do psychology?

Whichever you like most and think you'll do best in.

For what it's worth, there is almost zero maths at medical school, but you will do some psychology. But neither one will be massively relevant, so just pick the one which interests you more.
Definitely do maths! I started out doing maths, biology, chemistry and psychology but later dropped psychology (before the AS Exam) as I didn't like it much. I hadn't done it at GCSE either but I thought there would be more science content in it. A lot of it wouldn't help with a medical application. Obviously this may be slightly different depending on the exam board.

However, a lot of the time universities will ask for "Chemistry and two other science based subjects". These are always biology/human biology, physics or maths. Subjects like further maths, sports science and psychology are often not accepted as a science based subject. This means not doing maths would cut off a lot of options for you.
I did both but enjoyed psychology more, and have found it more useful at medical school.
Both are equally valid- I'd honestly say you should go for the one you're likely to be stronger at.
Maths would widen your options in terms of which universities you can apply to, but it isn't essential. If you think you'd struggle with Maths, then it's okay to take Psychology instead :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending