The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by GQ.
What an idiot. I never have collars on while squatting (I find it is better to practice balance). Don't know how he came to that conclusion.

It is weird, obviously the weights spilled off the bar but it would never have happened if I hadn't bumped into him and lost my balance so I dunno why it was relevant.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Sorani
It pisses me off when they're not doing anything particularly useful. Like I have to wait for a bench while they stand and do endless curls and give me weird looks for squatting. I don't think I've been in that gym anytime and not gotten that kind of condescending 'silly girl' look.

On a happier note: Turkey for lunch! Turkey turkey turkey turkey.

Lol, speaking of funny looks, me and the bf filmed each other yesterday. I filmed him squatting and benching and he filmed me benching, I look SO **** it's untrue. When I work out how I'll post the vid for you all to have a laugh.
Also, hope your wrist's feeling better!
Reply 82
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Don't talk ****.

Why so aggressive? I don't want to ofend or lie to you. It is just my observation that is more safety to have a collar. You have one point of view and I have another.
I think that the risk of injury is too big, especially if you train with heavy weights.
Reply 83
Original post by Kiwiiiii
In general it is better to use collar while squatting but it is your choice. It is not unusual to hurt yourself without collar.

Explain to me how having the collars off may lead to you injuring yourself? Unless you are trying to lift too heavy a weight or have one excessively stronger side of your body so that you push weirdly.
Original post by GQ.
Unless you are trying to lift too heavy a weight or have one excessively stronger side of your body so that you push weirdly.

This is common on 1rm's etc. If you are a beginner you're probably not doing 1rm's that can cause a "fly or die" mode; too much weight on the bar and your body knows this, and resorts to getting the bar up anyway it can. A strained muscle, muscle cramp, freak injury, if any of these were to happen when squatting, you'd want to have collars on. There is no reason not to put them on.

Benching alone would be the only time where not putting collars on would make you safe/smart, not careless/stupid.
Reply 85
Original post by TheWaterfield
I really don't see why you are arguing against normal gym procedure / etiquette. It's just a safety measure so that no matter what happens the barbell doesn't go flying off. Especially if you are using weights that bend the bar. I could imagine a lot of gyms not allowing you to exercise without them possibly due to insurance purposes.

If anything you should put them on for other people not yourself.

Chill.

My gym gets around this by making you sign a contract saying that if you hurt yourself, unless the equipment basically fell apart under you, it's your own fault.

I did say that I probably should've used collars, and I'm not really angry about that idea, I thought the someone crouching by the squat rack was more relevant - the collars thing just ended up going on its own tangent.
Original post by GQ.
Explain to me how having the collars off may lead to you injuring yourself? Unless you are trying to lift too heavy a weight or have one excessively stronger side of your body so that you push weirdly.

If the bars and plates aren't very well fitting there can be a fair bit of movement during oly lifts without collars, which will affect the balance of the bar, and could quite conceivably cause some unnecessary strain or injury during the lift.

As an example.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by TheWaterfield
Yeah I understand that, I really don't get why these *******s go out of their way to invade your personal space. Especially if there's more room...it happens in every gym unfortunately.

I just can't see the point in not putting collars on as an extra precaution since it only takes 5 seconds.

The dude was probably just intimidated or something.

I think I don't tend to put on collars just because I don't squat that much, and I don't get any fear of falling because I'm just working on my form at the moment. That doesn't mean it's right of me to do so, but that's my reasoning in my head. I would be far more wary if it was weight I was struggling with.

He may have been, but in general my gym just has awful personal trainers and they can get quite attitude-y and 'I'm right' about everything. I've had debates with them that I shouldn't even be lifting weights in the first place, girls do cardio and all that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
Just did a load of goblet squats - 5 sets of 6 reps 22kg. Felt good, but I'm finding it really hard to keep my knees from falling inwards, especially towards the end of a set. Any tips?

Also ladies, anyone know a good way of getting rid of calluses built up by deadlift uber-gripping?
Reply 89
Original post by Becca
Just did a load of goblet squats - 5 sets of 6 reps 22kg. Felt good, but I'm finding it really hard to keep my knees from falling inwards, especially towards the end of a set. Any tips?

Also ladies, anyone know a good way of getting rid of calluses built up by deadlift uber-gripping?

I don't think there's really much can be done about the calluses, because they'll keep coming up as you do it. If you really really hate them, you could wear gloves when you're lifting. I like mine, they make me feel accomplished, but yeah they're not lovely to look at.
Reply 90
Original post by Sorani
I don't think there's really much can be done about the calluses, because they'll keep coming up as you do it. If you really really hate them, you could wear gloves when you're lifting. I like mine, they make me feel accomplished, but yeah they're not lovely to look at.

Hmm I know what you mean, I don't hate mine, I'm kind of growing to like them :colondollar: I guess I'll just try using lots of hand cream?
Reply 91
Original post by Becca
Hmm I know what you mean, I don't hate mine, I'm kind of growing to like them :colondollar: I guess I'll just try using lots of hand cream?

Could do, I'm not brilliant with that sort of thing, try and make them tough but soft :tongue:
Reply 92
Tbf, this chick probably has better knowledge on the Olympic lifts than the majority of teenage males. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkOVWtxBtu8
As a guy, I say SWIMMING is the ideal sport/training for all you ladies. Females with a swimmers physique look awesome and I'm 99.9% positive its just the body type you want. Besides the aesthetics of swimming, you will benefit from intense cardio, muscle/strength building and toning, incredible flexibility (especially around the shoulders) and core abdominal strength amongst a few.

Amanda Beard, Olympic Gold Medalist;
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
As a guy, I say SWIMMING is the ideal sport/training for all you ladies. Females with a swimmers physique look awesome and I'm 99.9% positive its just the body type you want. Besides the aesthetics of swimming, you will benefit from intense cardio, muscle/strength building and toning, incredible flexibility (especially around the shoulders) and core abdominal strength amongst a few.

You're a douche. Swimming hardly builds muscle mass. Swimmers lift weights to gain muscle mass and strength.
Reply 95

Gtfo :ciao:
Reply 96

Please read the rules in the OP before posting, I made them to stop posts like this.
Original post by Supfresh.
You're a douche. Swimming hardly builds muscle mass. Swimmers lift weights to gain muscle mass and strength.

lmao :cool: my post is reccomending swimming, it aint rejecting weight lifting. try not to call me a douche next time since clearly your the douche. also im speaking as a swimmer/ weightlifter myself who trains with the same group of people both male and FEMALE. The ideal balance for a female is probably something like 60% swimming to 40% weight lifting for optimum results.
(edited 13 years ago)

Yes, heaven forbid girls choose the activity they enjoy the most as the one to do.
Reply 99
Original post by Supfresh.
Tbf, this chick probably has better knowledge on the Olympic lifts than the majority of teenage males. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkOVWtxBtu8

Oh my god, she's adorable.

"Thank you."
"You're welcome." :heart:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest