The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Pretty children don't tend to grow into pretty adults.

Generalization I know, but most of the 'pretty' children I knew in primary school when I see now look quite odd. I guess because their face never really develops from that so when they have the same features on an adult body they look weird.

Those people who are constantly being told that they are pretty or good looking, I remember this boy in my primary school who was really good looking but now he hasn't changed AT ALL, so looks incredibly strange.

Now I was nowhere near pretty in my former days, I used to be a right tomboy and had eczema so that never helped. I think I look better now as a 18 yo than the rest of my former life.

I know at lot of examples of girls and boys alike who weren't the typical 'pretty' but now they are very attractive.

And of course there will be exceptions to the rule but I noticed this to go on all the time.

Oh and before anyone wants to digress and say 'but beauty is in the eye of the beholder' please refrain. :smile:
Thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

As a very general rule, I would agree :smile:
What age children are you referring to?

But my experience has been similar to yours, although I wouldn't go so far as generalising as you have. The girls who were considered pretty while I was in primary school, are now, as I have found out thanks to facebook, well, quite low on the beauty scale.

But many pretty teenagers remain attractive well into adulthood.

They're nice girls though.
Reply 3
Original post by xxxchrisxxx
What age children are you referring to?

But my experience has been similar to yours, although I wouldn't go so far as generalising as you have. The girls who were considered pretty while I was in primary school, are now, as I have found out thanks to facebook, well, quite low on the beauty scale.

But many pretty teenagers remain attractive well into adulthood.

They're nice girls though.

I'd say if you saw a child at 10 and then 20.

And yes I'm not trying to say that there aren't pretty children who don't grow into pretty adults. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
I agree. All the people I went to school with that were pretty, are not so pretty now, some have put on so much weight and others are now just average looking :dontknow: And one person I spoke to used to say I was ugly, and he found me on fb and his reaction upon speaking to me was ":zomg: you've become hot :zomg:"
Well, your eyes don't really grow. So if eye to the rest of your face ratio is good when you're younger, it probably won't be when you're older. Also your features get sharper as you get older, which could highlight your flaws.
Reply 7
I agree. The older they get, the sexier they aint:confused:
:colone:
Reply 8
You're probably talking rubbish because it's all so subjective, but I guess if you're pretty when you're young you would tend to get complacent about your appearance and display body dysmorphia projecting your hot young self onto your fugly old one.

And vice versa.
They've had their time in the sun. Time for adults to shine!
Reply 10
Also, the lower classes mature on a faster cycle i.e. the chavvy girl who is the first to become sexy/sexually active etcetc in school will soon become pregnant and fat and ugly for the rest of her existence. Reminds of a passage in 1984 about the brief sexual blossoming of prole girls in their mid teens.
Middle class girls on the other hand are awkward and less attractive as teens, but come into their own to be naturally beautiful women for a lot longer.
Does that mean ugly children can grow up to be beautiful? Then there is hope yet!
Can't say I've noticed this tbh.
Reply 14
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Does that mean ugly children can grow up to be beautiful? Then there is hope yet!

Do you really think that there's such a thing as an ugly child?
Reply 15
So that means I can still become hot? :moon:
Reply 16
Yeah, I was thinking this when I added my primary school friends a couple of years back on facebook, and even some secondary school people too. Lots of people also look completely different to what they did when they were younger, but not always in a good way. I actually walked past someone from my primary school at uni because I didn't recognise it to be her.
I think you're wrong.

Children can't judge looks. If you think of who you found attractive on TV, for example - you may realise that as an older individual your taste has dramatically improved. This is all that has happened with the "pretty children". You may also have mistaken "popular" for "pretty" when you were a kid, and perhaps you are less likely to do that now.

You could look back on school photos and test my theory.

Obviously sometimes a genuinely pretty child will become much less attractive with age, but generally an adult can look at a pretty kid and think "they'll be pretty when they're sixteen" and that's true. Think of scarlett johansson, hayden panettiere, elija wood. They were all adorable creepy little child actors, and they continue to be "adorable" today.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Escriba
Do you really think that there's such a thing as an ugly child?

Hell yes. The vast majority and babies are ugly as sin.
Reply 19
Original post by kat2pult
Hell yes. The vast majority and babies are ugly as sin.

Really? I don't know what babies you've been looking at. Maybe I'm just surrounded by people who have nicer gene pools...