The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Worked on a few research projects - data collection and entry, that kind of thing :-) do you study/work at Bristol Uni?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
i really want to go to Bristol for uni but not sure what it's like to live there
Reply 3
Bristol University is in the nicest part of Bristol - called Clifton. It's really expensive to live in Clifton but by gum, it's gorgeous.
Reply 4
Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Warwick all have delusions of being on a par with Oxbridge.
Original post by + polarity -
It's cool. If you're cool.

well I'd say I'm cool.
Original post by TheFoxBlip
Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Warwick all have delusions of being on a par with Oxbridge.

Yeahh, my dad always says that Warwick and Bristol are the Oxbridge rejects' club :beer:
No mention of LSE, Imperial or UCL yet :redface:
Reply 8
No, there are lots of "prestigious" unis outside Oxbridge and London.
Reply 9
Obviously not.
Reply 10
Original post by violenti
2nd Class , can I ask you why you take this view? It would be helpful to all and everyone for there to be a discussion, as to the why and why nots, grounded in opinion for this thread to be one in which people engage in intelligent well meaning debate!

Because there are much better universities like Durham, St Andrews, Warwick etc
hmm, in terms of "prestigious" and "reputation"

it kinda goes like this...

Oxford/Cambridge
ICL
Warwick/St Andrews/Durham/ UCL/LSE

i mean at the end of the day each uni is better for different things e.g. surrey for engineering (so i have heard)
But at the end of the day they are the real thing, the "top dogs" as such
Original post by georgeflynn
hmm, in terms of "prestigious" and "reputation"

it kinda goes like this...

Oxford/Cambridge
ICL
Warwick/St Andrews/Durham/ UCL/LSE

i mean at the end of the day each uni is better for different things e.g. surrey for engineering (so i have heard)
But at the end of the day they are the real thing, the "top dogs" as such

Looks like you're correct
University League Tables
The top universities in 2012
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College London
London School of Economics
Durham
St Andrews
University College London
Warwick
Lancaster
Bath
Reply 13
Interesting no UCL, Kings, Bristol, yet Bath, Lancaster and St Andrews included, how can that be true in the REAL World!?

UCL was included and in this ranking Bristol is ranked 11th.

To be honest who cares? Bristol has a very good employer reputation and at the end of the day that's what matters. (Bristol came 15th in the 2011 world employer rankings as far as I can remember)

Also Paul Dirac studied at Bristol so Bristol is awessomeezzz :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Loooool this is the funniest thread I've come across in a while. Since when was Bristol regarded as the most prestigious university after Oxbridge?!? Peeps been smokin the ganga I must say
Where do you put Bristol in that mix. The large employers with signficant university marketing spend , tend not to recruit heavily(overall ) from St Andrews, and to a lesser extent Warwick expect for maths and economics graduates.York and Warwick are without doubt sound Universities, but sad as it is the larger employers still see them as NEW Universities, as opposed to ancient ones in which the category below are. The large law firms, management consultancies, investment banks, barristers chambers tend to recruit and focus their time in the following Universities in the main. In no particular order:

LSE
UCL
Imperial
Kings
Oxford
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Manchester

bristol is good but it isn't top 10 material, it may (generously) be 8th, 9th or 10th

dont get me wrong bristol is awesome but the top 10 seems to be pretty still and movement seems somewhat inactive and landlocked
Reply 16
I couldn't give a toss about these league tables. Bristol is regarded highly by employers whatever people say, and as far as i'm concern that's what matters.
Reply 17
The question was it? not IT is! Your views are most welcome . Where do you study?

I don't really think where I study is a matter of concern. My view is that whilst Bristol is a very good university (comparable to the likes of Durham, St. Andrews and Warwick in some respects), it is a very large step below the likes of Imperial, LSE and UCL in terms of academic strength and international and domestic prestige and reputation.

At the end of the day, unless you want a high flying career in Law, investment banking or consultancy, a Bristol graduate will be equally employable as graduates from the aforementioned uni's, including Oxbridge. Work experience counts a whole lot more these days tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think the difference between the top 20 is negligible, surely? Just because one uni is 10th and another 11th isn't a huge difference in my eyes. I've firmed UCL and Bristol is my insurance as they are asking for lower grades and I'd prefer to be in London. I doubt it would make much difference as there are a large handful of great universities anyone would be proud of a degree from.
Reply 19
Original post by georgeflynn
bristol is good but it isn't top 10 material, it may (generously) be 8th, 9th or 10th

dont get me wrong bristol is awesome but the top 10 seems to be pretty still and movement seems somewhat inactive and landlocked

Bristol is definitely top 10 material, purely from an employers perspective Bristol one of the best in the UK.

It doesn't do to well in the rankings due to student satisfaction ratings in the social sciences/Humanities (not enough contact hours) bringing there ranking down.

If you look at the criteria for most league tables you will notice there is little difference between the research quality, amount of good honours, UCAS points on entry and employer prospects between the likes of: Bristol, Durham, UCL etc...
(a lot of it becomes subject dependant as on a whole university scale there is little to differentiate between)

Bristol used to be seen as 2nd to Oxbridge around 30-50 years ago when it was in its prime, it has declined since then in terms of ranking but the employers links still stand.

Latest

Trending

Trending