The Student Room Group

King's College London Postgraduate Applications 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Akkuz
Hah. QMUL got back to me so fast, obviously want to tie down students with high grades. After a little research I've decided I don't particularly want to go there at all!

The management school at KCL seem to be slow. :noway: Perhaps a good thing though, due to their horrid 10% deposit!

Birmingham accepted me with half an application. :teehee: Desperate :colonhash: :tongue:

Their deposit is a pain :colonhash: So no harm in them being the last ones to get back to you :biggrin: Which is your first choice?
Reply 61
Original post by zziippoo
No. I do not think so. You have to pay 10% as a deposit to secure your place. This is necessary for all the competitive courses.

I got an offer two weeks ago and it says no deposit required, just a 2.1, maybe it is for certain departments. I'm in Chinese Studies btw
Reply 62
Original post by aeterno
Birmingham accepted me with half an application. :teehee: Desperate :colonhash: :tongue:

Their deposit is a pain :colonhash: So no harm in them being the last ones to get back to you :biggrin: Which is your first choice?

Half an app? hahah. Can't blame them really for wanting to tie down the clever students. Don't even know why I applied..:colondollar:

My course is near enough £10,000 so a 10% deposit is fairly hefty. :cute:

First choice..I'd have to say Cambridge. I'd be over the frickin' moon with KCL/UCL though! How about you?
Original post by aeterno
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring more specifically to deadlines.

I see :yep: I suppose it's different for PhDs though...is it possible they'd interview first? (Don't know much about the PhD process so excuse my ignorance :tongue:)

hm...I dont think they interview for my course...It depends on many things I guess..
Reply 64
Original post by Akkuz
Half an app? hahah. Can't blame them really for wanting to tie down the clever students. Don't even know why I applied..:colondollar:

My course is near enough £10,000 so a 10% deposit is fairly hefty. :cute:

First choice..I'd have to say Cambridge. I'd be over the frickin' moon with KCL/UCL though! How about you?

No personal statement, no transcript and only one reference at the time of their decision :teehee: They only went by basic details it seems :tongue:

:zomg: That is a lot! They should have a 1% deposit rule :yep: (I'll still complain about that though :ninja:)

Either UCL or KCL for me. Depends on what UCL say first :tongue: They'll take forever, I bet :colonhash: Cambridge sounds pretty awesome though :yep:

Original post by Xristina
hm...I dont think they interview for my course...It depends on many things I guess..

:yep: Either way, good luck with it! :biggrin:
Original post by aeterno
No personal statement, no transcript and only one reference at the time of their decision :teehee: They only went by basic details it seems :tongue:

:zomg: That is a lot! They should have a 1% deposit rule :yep: (I'll still complain about that though :ninja:)

Either UCL or KCL for me. Depends on what UCL say first :tongue: They'll take forever, I bet :colonhash: Cambridge sounds pretty awesome though :yep:

:yep: Either way, good luck with it! :biggrin:

thanks :smile: I guess the main problem is the funding...an offer on its own is unfortunately not good enough for a PhD :frown:
Reply 66
thanks :smile: I guess the main problem is the funding...an offer on its own is unfortunately not good enough for a PhD :frown:

Yeah especially with Arts funding I suppose it's quite hard to get :frown: I take it you'll be trying for AHRC funding then?
Original post by aeterno
Yeah especially with Arts funding I suppose it's quite hard to get :frown: I take it you'll be trying for AHRC funding then?

yeah but my main problem is that I am european. So even if I get it for my PhD it will be just tuition fees. That's why Im not very convinced about unis like King's, cause they don't have additional sources of funding, whereas Oxbridge do have some funding to cover living costs for EU students. Additionally, many colleges have smaller scholarships (like £5000) which could help me towards my living costs.
Reply 68
yeah but my main problem is that I am european. So even if I get it for my PhD it will be just tuition fees. That's why Im not very convinced about unis like King's, cause they don't have additional sources of funding, whereas Oxbridge do have some funding to cover living costs for EU students. Additionally, many colleges have smaller scholarships (like £5000) which could help me towards my living costs.

Ah I see. That's quite tricky then. So you'll be going wherever the funding takes you, I assume. Is there not anything extra you can get as a current Oxford student as well?
Original post by aeterno
Ah I see. That's quite tricky then. So you'll be going wherever the funding takes you, I assume. Is there not anything extra you can get as a current Oxford student as well?

no, there is not anything particularly for current students, but since I have the AHRC I guess this might give me a slight advantage (however, I worry that it does not. I have to prove that I am good enough in order to take it again)
There are some funding opportunities from my country though, so hopefully with a partial scholarship from Oxford + one from my country I will be able to cover a big part of the expenses.
Well..at this point I think yes, I will have to follow the funding. But the more I think about it, the more I realise that I would rather take a gap year and re apply, than go to a uni I don't like.
Reply 70
no, there is not anything particularly for current students, but since I have the AHRC I guess this might give me a slight advantage (however, I worry that it does not. I have to prove that I am good enough in order to take it again)
There are some funding opportunities from my country though, so hopefully with a partial scholarship from Oxford + one from my country I will be able to cover a big part of the expenses.
Well..at this point I think yes, I will have to follow the funding. But the more I think about it, the more I realise that I would rather take a gap year and re apply, than go to a uni I don't like.

I hope you do get it :yep: (Besides I have a soft spot for Classics :awesome: - it simply must be carried on)
Yeah I can see your point - no point in spending 3 years in a place that isn't suited to you. (Heck, I'll pay you to teach me Greek for a year if that happens :ninja:)
Original post by aeterno
I hope you do get it :yep: (Besides I have a soft spot for Classics :awesome: - it simply must be carried on)
Yeah I can see your point - no point in spending 3 years in a place that isn't suited to you. (Heck, I'll pay you to teach me Greek for a year if that happens :ninja:)

ahahaha, I'd be happy to :P I can throw in some Modern as well if you want. Two for the price of one.
Always nice to see someone appreciating my subject :smile:
Ahh...the stress is killing me....And I won't know till April :frown:
Reply 72
ahahaha, I'd be happy to :P I can throw in some Modern as well if you want. Two for the price of one.
Always nice to see someone appreciating my subject :smile:
Ahh...the stress is killing me....And I won't know till April :frown:

Deal! :awesome:
I've only studied Latin so far and feel like I only have one leg (...that sounds odd) so need some Greek knowledge :tongue: Plus both Latin and Greek literature are so much better in their original language :yep: (Don't particular care for Juvenal, mind :colonhash: Bad experiences with him :sad:)
Translate the whole of the Odyssey into Latin while you're waiting :ninja: You'll be too busy to notice the months fly past :tongue:
Original post by aeterno
Deal! :awesome:
I've only studied Latin so far and feel like I only have one leg (...that sounds odd) so need some Greek knowledge :tongue: Plus both Latin and Greek literature are so much better in their original language :yep: (Don't particular care for Juvenal, mind :colonhash: Bad experiences with him :sad:)
Translate the whole of the Odyssey into Latin while you're waiting :ninja: You'll be too busy to notice the months fly past :tongue:

ahahaha believe me I have more than enough studying to keep me busy :frown:
I'm currently working on my research proposal :work:
Reply 74
ahahaha believe me I have more than enough studying to keep me busy :frown:
I'm currently working on my research proposal :work:

But it's fun, no? :awesome: (I should add that I have a warped view of what studying Classics is like...and it involves lots of tweed :ninja:)
:zomg: Do you have a word count/guidelines for that?
Original post by aeterno
But it's fun, no? :awesome: (I should add that I have a warped view of what studying Classics is like...and it involves lots of tweed :ninja:)
:zomg: Do you have a word count/guidelines for that?

well there are some general guidelines, like there were some for the personal statement. But in general, I have seen 2-3 from friends and they are all different. Plus, depending on what you do there is a different style...I don't know tbh...I am just aiming to write something by the end of the week so I can send it to as many professors as I can to get feedback and work from that :tongue:
Reply 76
well there are some general guidelines, like there were some for the personal statement. But in general, I have seen 2-3 from friends and they are all different. Plus, depending on what you do there is a different style...I don't know tbh...I am just aiming to write something by the end of the week so I can send it to as many professors as I can to get feedback and work from that :tongue:

Sounds like you've got a good plan there :tongue: If that were me, I'd be sending out blank pages :colondollar:
Reply 77
Got an offer!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by Akkuz
Got an offer!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congratulation.. what is your offer? 2.1?
for international management?
Reply 79
Original post by zziippoo
Congratulation.. what is your offer? 2.1?
for international management?

65%. Problem is the 10% deposit..and I still haven't heard from Cambridge, UCL or Imperial :s-smilie:

What can I do about this, besides email the other uni's and ask about my application..?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending