The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scorcher
I thought that there was no point in putting down GCSE's on a CV when applying for spring weeks/internships. Or maybe it is better to just put down x number of gcses at A*-C including English and Maths?

Yup my careers service told me to summarise it as A*-C and state maths and english grades at most. If you have A-level maths and/or english then no need to state the GCSE grade for them.
In a couple of years we'll have taken off GCSEs from our CV altogether, they mean very little in the grand scheme of things.
I thought there was no point in putting down GCSE's on a CV when applying for spring weeks/internships? Or maybe it is better to just put down x number of gcses at A*-C including English and Maths?

"GCSEs: 4A*s including Maths, 5 As including English Language, 1 B"

1 line, all GCSEs included, and they know where the important ones are; sorted.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Yup my careers service told me to summarise it as A*-C and state maths and english grades at most. If you have A-level maths and/or english then no need to state the GCSE grade for them.
In a couple of years we'll have taken off GCSEs from our CV altogether, they mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

Original post by Industrious Orca

Yeah I suppose there is no harm in putting them on unless you have enough experience and stuff to write about on the CV and can't fit them in. I doubt the banks even pay attention to GCSE's and just assume they are good if you achieve great A Levels and go to a good uni.
Reply 1743

Are you applying for Summer Internships and spring?!
I thought there was no point in putting down GCSE's on a CV when applying for spring weeks/internships? Or maybe it is better to just put down x number of gcses at A*-C including English and Maths?

Yeah that's what I put. Although I didn't say 11 GCSE's at A*-C, I stated the grades in groups (i.e. x A*'s and x A's). I didn't want to imply that I got B's and C's lol
Reply 1745
Perhaps a bit late now, but seeing as I did A-levels in 2009 I couldn't have got an A* even though my UMS are equivalent to 4A*. Would it be worth pointing this out to HR, or just leave it now and edit my CV slightly for next time.

Normally, I'd just leave it, but given how competitive these things are I've been debating sending HR a quick email or updating my CV on applications where possible.
Original post by miml
Perhaps a bit late now, but seeing as I did A-levels in 2009 I couldn't have got an A* even though my UMS are equivalent to 4A*. Would it be worth pointing this out to HR, or just leave it now and edit my CV slightly for next time.

Normally, I'd just leave it, but given how competitive these things are I've been debating sending HR a quick email or updating my CV on applications where possible.

I'm guessing the difference between an A and an A* at A Level is negligible. Straight A's at A Level is still great and I doubt the banks care that much if you have straight A's at A Level but I'm no banker/HR.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by miml

Don't think it's worth it. There's not much difference between As and A*s.
Reply 1748
Original post by natashabedford
Some people who got CS interviews applied very recently (past weeks or two). I applied about 3 weeks ago. You reckon it's worth calling up and asking HR about the application and how its progressing?

I was the same as you. Decided to check my emails and there was nothing. However checked my application online and there was my rejection :frown:
So check online
Reply 1749
1. Work experience is massively over-rated at internship stage. You just have to demonstrate your interest in finance; work experience does this, but so do other things. Some decent ECs make up for a lack of work experience and in my opinion look better than work experience. Just over half of my CV is made up of extra-curriculars and i've had 10 finance firms interview me so far this year, including Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan.

Couldn't disagree more. If banks see a 'brand name' on your CV they think "hmm, this person was good enough for this company - we should interview to check we're no losing someone to competitors". It also reduces the risk in hiring and shows you have contacts which is always vital, whatever FO department you're in.
Is it essential for internship stage? no, because hardly anyone has interned by autumn of second year. Is it a MASSIVE plus? yes, it will trump any EC on a CV.
Involved in investment'/finance/econ soc? yawn. so is everyone.
Treasurer of investment society? better, but still boring and common.
You can guarantee EVERYONE put something down about an EC in finance, but EC's dont count unless they show achievement. Taking part in investment is just 'doing something' not achieving something - even if you get good returns!

So, definitely well done for your intership offers, but you couldn't be more wrong that work exp doesn't help - it's just most people don't have it.

Note - work exp needs to be paid and reasonably long to count.
Original post by lilly xx
Couldn't disagree more. If banks see a 'brand name' on your CV they think "hmm, this person was good enough for this company - we should interview to check we're no losing someone to competitors". It also reduces the risk in hiring and shows you have contacts which is always vital, whatever FO department you're in.
Is it essential for internship stage? no, because hardly anyone has interned by autumn of second year. Is it a MASSIVE plus? yes, it will trump any EC on a CV.
You can guarantee EVERYONE put something down about an EC in finance, but EC's dont count unless they show achievement. Taking part in investment is just 'doing something' not achieving something - even if you get good returns!

So, definitely well done for your intership offers, but you couldn't be more wrong that work exp doesn't help - it's just most people don't have it.

Agree with everything you said bar the last sentence. An unpaid summer internship after your first year at uni at a boutique or any relevant experience in that summer would look awesome when applying for internships at BB's the following year, unpaid or not.
Reply 1751
Original post by eco1234
did you do the personality test for the HSBC first year retail summer internship?

how long after you finished the test did you find out you were rejected?

I've finished it, but not heard anything yet... the test was really weird though1!

Nope got rejected before that, no idea why. rejection from jpm too :frown:
Merry Christmas, Spring Weeks 2012 thread!

Joy and happy applications to all! :h:
Reply 1753
Original post by lilly xx

Following a conversation with family who work in BB banks, I was told to remove all finance related ECs from my CV. If you're applying for internships they will expect you to be involved in these.

On another note, my alevels are pretty below standard. However, at uni i've achieved 90+ in all my coursework. How do i try bring this across without sounding like a **** ?
Reply 1754
Original post by sw3
Following a conversation with family who work in BB banks, I was told to remove all finance related ECs from my CV. If you're applying for internships they will expect you to be involved in these.

What??:eek: Then what is in your CV? Just the fact that you enjoy reading and hiking in the woods? Or you have that much actual work experience that you don't have space for ECs?
Reply 1755
Original post by erklam
What??:eek: Then what is in your CV? Just the fact that you enjoy reading and hiking in the woods? Or you have that much actual work experience that you don't have space for ECs?

I know:/ when they removed it all off my CV i thought they were having a laugh. But my ECs include sport, travelling and laugages.

However, i do have a ''Positions of Responsibility' section and work exp section with 3 pieces of WE (however none are really IB related)

we had grad recruiters from BoAML and an Ex Lehman recruiter who both told me i shouldn't have too much problem getting through to the interview stages with most companies provided i do well in the tests. But i've already got a rejection. So i think motivation is actually quite important. Damn motivation
(edited 12 years ago)
I may have been a bit naughty and reapplied to a bank with a different email address after being rejected before interview. Will there be any serious consequences if I actually make it to interview?
Original post by FITNESSFREAK123
I may have been a bit naughty and reapplied to a bank with a different email address after being rejected before interview. Will there be any serious consequences if I actually make it to interview?

Happened to my friend 3 years older than me. She got rejected from BNP Paribas for Spring Week and reapplied. When she interviewed with them, the first thing they asked is 'we noticed similarities between your application and that of someone's who was rejected.' Either way, she got thrown out. Wouldn't risk it mate.
Original post by natashabedford
Happened to my friend 3 years older than me. She got rejected from BNP Paribas for Spring Week and reapplied. When she interviewed with them, the first thing they asked is 'we noticed similarities between your application and that of someone's who was rejected.' Either way, she got thrown out. Wouldn't risk it mate.

Thank you for that info.

It's just that I did bad on the numerical first time (for Barclays) but then passed it the second time. Because I was automatically rejected the first time, would they have even seen my first
application?
Hey I applied to MS but when I log on I cant check the status of my application, how do I know what the status of my application is??

Latest

Trending

Trending