The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Thank God for Blackboard is all I can say. 9am is just torture to wake up for. I honestly cannot comprehend how I managed 7:30am wakeup calls for school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up
Reply 3
I struggle to get up for them regardless of how much sleep I get or what time I go to bed! Early mornings are so hard.

Once I'm up I am fine and don't feel tired, it's just the initial act of getting out of bed especially when it is cold.
Reply 4
I have 3 9am lectures. :no:

I basically just... power on through them. Set my alarm for 7 (and lie in bed pressing 'snooze' repeatedly until 8, obviously) and then get out of bed and internet for a bit; have cereal; get dressed; go to uni. Sorted. This is normally on 4 or 5 hours' sleep, too.
Original post by jsd26
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up

I do this, and still managed to sleep through them and miss a lecture yesterday. I think I need to change my alarm sound. My brain has obviously gotten used to this one!
I'm on placement, which means I have to get up by 6:15 to leave at 7:15. Everyday. I finish at about 430/5. Everyday. With about a half an hour break. Everyday.

Beat that suckahs...
for 9am lectures, i would need to get up at 5.45am.................................that's why i don't.
Reply 8
Original post by kerily

I basically just... power on through them. Set my alarm for 7 (and lie in bed pressing 'snooze' repeatedly until 8, obviously) and then get out of bed and internet for a bit; have cereal; get dressed; go to uni. Sorted. This is normally on 4 or 5 hours' sleep, too.

Bleeeh I have to be up early every day except Sunday and Thursday. 9am lectures on Monday and Tuesday, 10am on Wednesday, 11am on Thursday, 8.30am start in a school in Islington on a Friday and 10am start in Hampstead to tutor on Saturday. Coupled with finishing at 9.30pm 4 days a week at work and you get one very tired student. I should probably get to bed...:frown:
Reply 9
I have one main alarm that is very loud and scares the crap out of me everytime it goes off. Then, 10 minutes later my phone alarm goes off and I place that on the other side of the room. Even after all of this I get up turn the alarms off and go back to bed :sigh:
Reply 10
Original post by kerily

The thing I hate most about them is they basically mess my sleep schedule up even more. I end up getting about 2 hours sleep if I'm lucky simply because I can't fall asleep, so I manage to power through them then I'm presented with a choice. I either spend the rest of the day exhausted and too tired to do anything or I go to sleep which results in my sleeping pattern doing a complete 180.
This semester I have a 9am start every day of the week and its a bitch :/ I just man up and get up. It's a small price to pay for the opportunity to study something I like. Dunno how I ever got up a 6.45 for school though!!
Reply 12
It's kind of ironic really, as a kid you struggle to stay awake to watch something on T.V late at night whereas when you're an adult it's actually a pain
to go to sleep so early.
Thank God all my lectures start after 12:]
I feel you bro. I missed a 12 o'clock today because i choose sleep instead...
No more 9AM lectures :biggrin: Sorry guyss, feel for ya haha
Reply 16
Original post by buchanan700
I'm on placement, which means I have to get up by 6:15 to leave at 7:15. Everyday. I finish at about 430/5. Everyday. With about a half an hour break. Everyday.

Beat that suckahs...

This will be me next year.
Reply 17

Beat that suckahs...

I'm on placement and I wake up at 5am to leave at 6.15am. I finish at 9.15pm and get home about 10.15pm.
Reply 18
I woke up at 7AM, 5 days a week for 6th form but now having a 9AM lecture violates my human rights. I end up setting about 4 alarms and sleeping through all of them.
Reply 19

Beat that suckahs...

It's just not the same though. When you're at uni your sleeping pattern is generally screwed up due to late night studying/drinking/whatever. Then when 9am comes around it's a shock.

When you're at work you're in a routine.

Quick Reply

Latest