The Student Room Group

Why do so many Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dignityinclay
Imagine if asians were persuaded into an even more competitive career in sports or music. The competition amongst themselves would be INTENSE.

My beta got 9.01 seconds in 100m!
Reply 101
Original post by trippers
Haha I'm a girl, but thanks :smile:

My bad :tongue:.
Original post by tehforum
My beta got 9.01 seconds in 100m!

They must have cheated :tongue:
MAybe because with medicine you have to do things like on-call and night shifts and electives etc. And their parents don't want them going out and staying over at their bf's place or to a gig. So they just say 'Yo ma, I gotta do nights this weekend...'

Thasswharit'slikeforme
Reply 104
Original post by icapturethecastle
MAybe because with medicine you have to do things like on-call and night shifts and electives etc. And their parents don't want them going out and staying over at their bf's place or to a gig. So they just say 'Yo ma, I gotta do nights this weekend...'

Thasswharit'slikeforme

I don't get it. Surely being an offshore oil engineer is better in this case.
Asians for the win
Reply 106
Original post by Zangoose
And by Asians I'm mostly referring to Indians/Pakistanis, then maybe throw in a couple of Chinese/Korean.

Lets not beat around the bush here, a lot of Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route. I'm not saying that most people who apply for these courses are Asian but you have to admit, most Asians will apply for those courses or go down the Biochem/Biomed route with the hope of getting into Medicine - but why?

It is prestige? Do people in the community look up to you because you're studying Medicine and Dentistry? Or is it just money? This is a genuine question because every single Indian/Pakistani person from my college is either studying Medicine/Dentisry/Biomed, aspiring to study either of those or doing something in Business/Accounting (which is still typical). I think it's disgraceful to be honest.

Here you have Kid A, who takes genuine pride in serving their community. Ever since they could walk, Kid A was deeply intrigued by the inner workings of the body. They see the human anatomy as a grand vessel for knowledge and the idea of working with people firsthand, giving them advice, curing them and even performing surgery on them appeals to them very much so they do everything to achieve their goal.

However, now you have Kid B. Kid B is doing their GCSEs/A levels and doesn't know what to study in university so their parents tell them to do Medicine/Dentistry because it's the bee's knees. Now the thing is, Kid B doesn't actually care about the implications of taking on such a challenge. Kid B is of above average intelligence and despite having absolutely zero passion for Medicine or Dentisry, Kid B decides to do it anyway just for prestige, even if it means spending countless hours pretending to enjoy work experience in some smelly retirement home or skimming through science journals, only to memorise and recite a few key phrases in a Medicine interview in order to brownose the interviewers. The disturbing thing here is that Kid B doesn't care about serving his or her community. They just want the title of 'Doctor'.

In case anyone didn't understand my euphemisms, Kid A is someone who has a genuine passion for Medicine and Kid B is a typical Asian.

(In b4 politically correct and brainwashed morons fishing for rep say something along the lines of: "Yeah but you're generalising, blah blah blah."
Or an Asian who isn't doing Medicine/Dentistry tries to discredit my argument with:
"I am an Asian and I'm doing Sociology, therefore, despite being a rare exception to an obvious trend, your argument is stupid"

Question is ... Why do so many Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route?
Answer :
1st reason : in Korea, doctor and dentist are the most well paid job, so... :smile:
2nd reason : in the UK, you only need AAAb ( Edinburgh, Imperial ), however in Korea you need to get 1st grade out of 9 grades for 6 subjects. 6 subjects are maths, english, korean and 3 science subjects.

Maths : To get first grade from maths is more difficult than further maths at a level. You don't have to learn Sixth Term Examination Paper, but the difficulty is a lot deeper. I got low 1st grade when I did simulation exam in 16 in Korea, however I got 572 out of 600 at maths last year myself without any help from school and I am taking FM this june. And I've learned S1~S3 in Korea 2 years ago. ( if any korean sees my comment, I was on 8th edu curriculum so I leaned in 'Integration and Statistics'. ) So the rest of my FM modules might be easy.

English : As you can see the above sentences, I'm not good at English so I got 4th grade at simulation exam in 16 in Korea. :frown: And I got IELTS 7.0 last year. :frown:

3 Sciences :
*Chemistry - We don't learn organic chemistry in Korea, but other concepts are same. Question types in Korea are all treaky, however in the UK 80% of the questions are straightforward and 20% are treaky in A2. But most of the questions in AS are straightforward.
*Physics - I don't take physics at a-level, but contents may be similar. Maths in Korean physics exam contains Edexcel Maths modules M1,M2 and M3 .
*Biology - I don't take biology at a-level, but contents may be similar. And I hate biology, so I have nothing to say.:frown:
Finish the degree, and apply for grad schemes. No point staying in something you hate.

Yes, you can.

You don't need any particular A-levels to do law. Any respected, traditional A-levels will do and that includes Geography.

My chosen A-levels:

Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Philosophy and Ethics
Original post by Afootballmug
I want the best doctors, and whilst Asians may only do it because well they've been brought up thinking it's the 'greatest' job ever... they make amazing doctors.

And so.. ultimately when I go to a hospital.. I'd rather be cured by someone who gets an ego boost each time I call him a doctor rather than not cured by someone not as smart as him.

That's actually a really interesting outlook, I can't say I've heard it before but I must say I do agree.

and I can say from second hand experience (both my brothers do med), no matter how passionate you are about medicine, if you are not a complete braniac, you will crumble at medical school.

To OP
I'm not asian, but since we're generalising here, how about this, the majority are incredibly intelligent and most will excel at anything they apply themselves to, maybe you're just sad you can't get into med/dental school because there are people with better grades than you.
Original post by StateSchooler95
My chosen A-levels:

Sorry to interupt. Im doing my highers which is basically the same as alevels. Do you want to be a doctor?
And how hard is Chemistry?!
Original post by Minotauro
That's actually a really interesting outlook, I can't say I've heard it before but I must say I do agree.

and I can say from second hand experience (both my brothers do med), no matter how passionate you are about medicine, if you are not a complete braniac, you will crumble at medical school.

To OP
I'm not asian, but since we're generalising here, how about this, the majority are incredibly intelligent and most will excel at anything they apply themselves to, maybe you're just sad you can't get into med/dental school because there are people with better grades than you.

I disagree..completely. you DONT have to be smart to do medicine. You just have to have the ABILITY to work hard and motivation to keep going. If you were to look at some of the things we have to do/learn its really easy, the only thing that makes medicine "difficult" (which it isnt) is the AMOUNT of work you have to do.

There are tonnes of junior doctos I know who are absolute retards...yet they are doctors because theyve passed a few exams and worked hard at passing exams.
Its not difficult if your just an organised person. Other degrees such as physics/maths etc they are the ones in which you perhaps have to have some intelligence, but believe me its not medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Most of my family members assumed i would be going into the medicine route but in the end, i had no passion for it and did something i actually enjoyed. I think that's the case for most, not just Asians.
Finish the degree, and apply for grad schemes. No point staying in something you hate.

I don't know what I want to do. I hate law, and I don't want to do it. If I don't come up with sommat quick, might as well stick with it.. :frown:
Gutted, i'm in the opposite situation. I was absolutely wicked at History but I had a an argument with my history teacher which persuaded me to pick Geography instead. Now I cant do History A-level, and I cant do law.

As long as you pick traditional subjects (inc. History or Geography) you will be ok and will be accepted for law.

Make sure you get AAA or higher since it is very competitive to get a place at law school.
Original post by iceman_jondoe
x

Well, you're in a better position to form a well informed opinion than me, maybe braniac wasn't the correct term, but in general I'm not particularly fond of people just saying 'you just have to work really hard' or have the ability to work hard, as if that is an easy feat! Having a good work ethic doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of determination and self discipline. I'm not studying medicine, nor I'm I applying to, but saying intelligence is not required to be a doctor seems a bit of a stretch.
Original post by Minotauro
Well, you're in a better position to form a well informed opinion than me, maybe braniac wasn't the correct term, but in general I'm not particularly fond of people just saying 'you just have to work really hard' or have the ability to work hard, as if that is an easy feat! Having a good work ethic doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of determination and self discipline. I'm not studying medicine, nor I'm I applying to, but saying intelligence is not required to be a doctor seems a bit of a stretch.

your right and perhaps I should not have extended my words to the role of a doctor in general. You do need a little bit of intelligence...but alot of medicine and being able to be a good doc just comes from experience really. The more patients you see the better you become.
Original post by effofex
I don't get it. Surely being an offshore oil engineer is better in this case.

I've been wondering what other careers would be a better less stressful substitute :moon:
Seems like a complaint thread to me as though made by someone who got rejected from medicine...
My chosen A-levels:

Perfectly fine.

Original post by The_Male_Melons
I don't know what I want to do. I hate law, and I don't want to do it. If I don't come up with sommat quick, might as well stick with it.. :frown:

Don't stick with it... you'll have to carry on with a job you truly hate for 40 years.

Not so good.

Research into finance/accountancy/any grad schemes and try to get a feel for what's on offer.

Don't stick with it... you'll have to carry on with a job you truly hate for 40 years.

Not so good.

Research into finance/accountancy/any grad schemes and try to get a feel for what's on offer.

I know. I got loads and loads and loads of Legal Work Experience. I haven't got experience in finance, accountancy etc...?
I don't know even know where to start?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending