The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nadine10
Hey everyone - I don't mean to crash this thread or anything, but I just got an offer to read Economics at Gonville and Caius today :smile: Anyways I would really appreciate if anyone doing this course or who is at this college could just give me their thoughts on it or just some extra info and advice?

Thank you!

Sure, what do you want to know? Btw good college choice, I'm at Christ's myself but we share our directors of studies, so I have my econ hist supervisions at Caius, and Caius people have their micro supervisions at Christ's. Both supervisors are really, really good :smile:.

Ah, I didn't know of the existence of this thread (pretty poor considering it's two and half hours old), but I now know to direct questions to there :smile:.
Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask something for my brother who is hoping to apply to study Economics at Cambridge this september/october.

The thing is that he doesn't have further maths. He is doing Maths, Economics and Politics and will be dropping History after the first year.

How crucial is not having further maths to get in to Cambridge to study Economics?

Is there any other advice that you could give him for the application? I myself have no clue... more of an Oxford man myself (or should I have not said that?) :tongue:
Original post by OneTimer
Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask something for my brother who is hoping to apply to study Economics at Cambridge this september/october.

The thing is that he doesn't have further maths. He is doing Maths, Economics and Politics and will be dropping History after the first year.

How crucial is not having further maths to get in to Cambridge to study Economics?

Is there any other advice that you could give him for the application? I myself have no clue... more of an Oxford man myself (or should I have not said that?) :tongue:

I have a friend who has an offer for Cambridge Economics without Further Maths. He does 4 A2's though (Maths, Economics, History and English), and has 12 A*'s at GCSE.

Your brother should be fine if the rest of his grades are good :smile:
Original post by Flyteryder
I have a friend who has an offer for Cambridge Economics without Further Maths. He does 4 A2's though (Maths, Economics, History and English), and has 12 A*'s at GCSE.

Your brother should be fine if the rest of his grades are good :smile:

He has 6A* and 6As - funnily, the same as me ha!

I have been looking at the admissions website and looking at some posts on TSR and I think some colleges have different entrance requirements for further maths.

Could someone who knows advise?
Hi guys,

Back when I was applying (and I think this is still the case), Further Maths was listed as something like 'helpful' or 'recommended' but not 'essential' (in part because not all schools offer it). However, some colleges specifically mention that they very much prefer candidates to have it, whereas others put less emphasis on it (to find this out it would be best to contact the colleges directly).

As for other advice, I'm wondering why he's planning to drop History? Part I of the Economics Tripos has a compulsory Economics History paper so it seems a bit strange to be dropping that, especially as he's only going to be doing 3 A2s as a result (if he was doing more then maybe it would make more sense).
Original post by alex_hk90
Back when I was applying (and I think this is still the case), Further Maths was listed as something like 'helpful' or 'recommended' but not 'essential' (in part because not all schools offer it). However, some colleges specifically mention that they very much prefer candidates to have it, whereas others put less emphasis on it (to find this out it would be best to contact the colleges directly).

As for other advice, I'm wondering why he's planning to drop History? Part I of the Economics Tripos has a compulsory Economics History paper so it seems a bit strange to be dropping that, especially as he's only going to be doing 3 A2s as a result (if he was doing more then maybe it would make more sense).

Do you know what colleges do not ask for further maths?

At this school they do Pre-Us. He's only going to be doing 3 'A2s' because he started off doing Further maths, but didnt want to spend half of his time doing maths. He wanted to do the full Pre-U History course but that was full by then, so he had to settle for the AS History.
Do you know what colleges do not ask for further maths?

I don't, sorry. And sometimes the college websites aren't up to date so the best thing is to directly ask colleges that he's interested in (presumably he also has some other criteria for a college that will allow him to eliminate a good number before doing so).

At this school they do Pre-Us. He's only going to be doing 3 'A2s' because he started off doing Further maths, but didnt want to spend half of his time doing maths. He wanted to do the full Pre-U History course but that was full by then, so he had to settle for the AS History.

Hmm, not wanting to do more maths doesn't come across well to me - though it is possible to get through the Economics Tripos with limited maths if you choose your options and questions appropriately, there are essential papers in Quantitative Methods (Part I) and Theory and Practice of Econometrics (Part IIA) as well as a lot of overlap with the models in Micro and Macro.

Regarding the History - could he possibly continue to do the full A2? I know they officially only look at the best / most relevant 3 A-level subjects, but the dropping of one would make me question whether he could handle the workload at Cambridge (which I found to be much more than 5 A2s, let alone 3!).
Reply 1168
For an additional Further Maths module I have to choose between D1 and S3. Obviously there is a difference in difficulty, but is S3 worth it? Do these topics come up at Cambridge? If I take S3, a lot of exams will be crowded in a small period of time in June, with D1 I can spread them out.

So far I find D1 a bit boring (looked through a couple of chapters), can someone give an opinion about S3? :smile:

Here's the specification.

Oh, and S3 will have to be self-study.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi all,

Will my subjects be good?

Math - Good, finished A*.
FM - Good, probably A.
Economics - Good, probably A
Physics - Good, probably A
Govt and Politics - Really bad, probably fail(B),
+ AQA Bacc(not sure if it is useful at all) + AEA Math
He has 6A* and 6As - funnily, the same as me ha!

I have been looking at the admissions website and looking at some posts on TSR and I think some colleges have different entrance requirements for further maths.

Could someone who knows advise?

I got an offer this year without further maths and with worse GCSEs than your brother, so of course it's possible. With regards to colleges, check the websites - if there's a specific requirement or strong stated preference for further maths at particular colleges, it'll usually be stated.
Original post by Dat Guy
For an additional Further Maths module I have to choose between D1 and S3. Obviously there is a difference in difficulty, but is S3 worth it? Do these topics come up at Cambridge? If I take S3, a lot of exams will be crowded in a small period of time in June, with D1 I can spread them out.

So far I find D1 a bit boring (looked through a couple of chapters), can someone give an opinion about S3? :smile:

Here's the specification.

Oh, and S3 will have to be self-study.

For some reason that download doesn't work for me, but from when I did Edexcel A-level Maths, S3 did have some useful topics while D1 didn't have any relevant topics.

Original post by Jackfinance17
Hi all,

Will my subjects be good?

Math - Good, finished A*.
FM - Good, probably A.
Economics - Good, probably A
Physics - Good, probably A
Govt and Politics - Really bad, probably fail(B),
+ AQA Bacc(not sure if it is useful at all) + AEA Math

Your subjects are fine - by those As I'm assuming you mean at AS? It'll be easier to assess after you do your exams this year and you get your UMS.
Reply 1172
Original post by alex_hk90
For some reason that download doesn't work for me, but from when I did Edexcel A-level Maths, S3 did have some useful topics while D1 didn't have any relevant topics.

So you would advise taking S3 :colondollar: ok, thanks

What modules did you do yourself?
Original post by Dat Guy
So you would advise taking S3 :colondollar: ok, thanks

Yes, I would. :smile:

Original post by Dat Guy
What modules did you do yourself?

I didn't get much of a choice and since our Further Maths class was full of wannabe Physicists I ended doing doing a lot of Mechanics:
C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, S1, S2, D1, M1, M2, M3.
Hi,

I am currently an AS student and am looking to study Economics at uni. I am looking at Cambridge as one of my choices, and looking at the prospectus I really like the look of Robinson college. I was just wondering if I have a chance of getting in. At GCSE I achieved 10A*s and 2As and the A levels i'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Music.
I hope to get As in all of them and hopefully an A* in maths?
Am i being over realistic and if I am what other universities should I consider choosing?
Reply 1175
Original post by mozzabozza
Hi,

I am currently an AS student and am looking to study Economics at uni. I am looking at Cambridge as one of my choices, and looking at the prospectus I really like the look of Robinson college. I was just wondering if I have a chance of getting in. At GCSE I achieved 10A*s and 2As and the A levels i'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Music.
I hope to get As in all of them and hopefully an A* in maths?
Am i being over realistic and if I am what other universities should I consider choosing?

Your GSCEs are really good - but I will be perfectly honest with you (since honesty is always the best policy :P), your predicted grades might hold you back. You have to keep in mind that you are going against people who are predicted 3,4 or 5 A*s at A2. And most people also have a 90% or above average. Plus Economics is extremely competitive.

But if you feel that you have a lot to give, a lot of passion and knowledge and that you will preform well if you get an interview then by all means it is worth a shot. If they like your passion for the subject you have a really good chance of getting an offer. But you will definitely need at least one A* prediction, without a doubt.

I got an offer for Econ this year from Gonville and Caius, so feel free to drop me a message if you have any other questions :smile:
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.
Cambridge's official view:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/

"course requirements:"
"Given the increasingly technical nature of economic theory, it is now essential that applicants have A Level Mathematics (or equivalent). Economics and Further Mathematics are considered useful preparation but are not essential. A Level Business Studies can be helpful if you are unable to take Economics."

So you will not be rejected on your subject choice alone. Whilst other candidates may have slightly more favoured subjects, Cambridge will not assess you on subject choice alone. If you have done/ are doing well, then I'm sure you will get an interview, and if you impress, perhaps an offer. Economics at Cambridge is extremely competitive though; you need to be very good to get in.

So your chances are more dependent on how good you are, how well you are doing, how interested you are in economics. Not having Further maths is not a huge disadvantage.
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Economics but I don't have further maths. Realistically what are the chances of me getting in? I do Pre-U Maths and am expecting to get a D3(equiv to A).

What are your thoughts? It would be great if you have had personal experience of this.

I got in without it. Not sure what you're really after in terms of experience though...
Original post by Acerbic
I got in without it. Not sure what you're really after in terms of experience though...

That's exactly what I was after.. an example of somebody who has got in without it :biggrin:

I am going to apply post-application for a second time. I applied to Oxford for PPE this year and didnt even get an interview. My A2s are Maths, Economics and Politics. I am predicted to get AA*A* and in my AS History last year I got an A. GCSE's I have 6A* 5A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending