The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get A's at A levels? Starting now

Basically I'm doing 3 AS subjects. I have 4 exams exactly 5 weeks from now.

I'm currently working at a C/D grade for two subjects and about a B in the other

How hard would it be to get 4 A's in my summer exams? How much work should I be putting in starting tomorrow...well in a few hours I guess.

I know that it defers with people and you don't know how well I take stuff in, etc but lets just say that you were in my situation, what would you need to do to get where I want to be at?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Microphone
Basically I'm doing 3 AS subjects. I have 4 exams exactly 5 weeks from now.

I'm currently working at a C/D grade for two subjects and about a B in the other

How hard would it be to get 4 A's in my summer exams? How much work should I be putting in starting tomorrow...well in a few hours I guess.

Thanks.

May I ask which subjects you are doing? :smile:
Reply 2
Getting 4 A's will be very hard. You will have to out in a lot of hard work. like 9am-9pm with small breaks in between.

Good luck!
Original post by newhope
Getting 4 A's will be very hard. You will have to out in a lot of hard work. like 9am-9pm with small breaks in between.

Good luck!

He wants As; he's not trying to figure out instantaneous nonlocal interactions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Enigma.
May I ask which subjects you are doing? :smile:

I'm doing Sociology, Economics and Computing, kinda struggling in Computing due to not that great teaching an laziness, economics is okay/C grade and sociology should go well :smile:

Original post by newhope

Good luck!

I mean 4 A's in the upcoming 4 exams I have, not 4 A levels, but unless by small breaks you mean 5 or 6 hours long I may as well give up now :s-smilie:

Original post by Id and Ego seek

He wants As; he's not trying to figure out instantaneous nonlocal interactions.

hah, my initial reaction seeing that too. Gave me a good laugh :biggrin:

Thanks, hopefully there'll be more responses in the morning...
Reply 5
Revise daily, make sure you understand the mark scheme, have exam technique sorted, know everything you're meant to and do lots practice papers.

Well, that's what I'm going to hopefully do for my A2 exams anyway :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Microphone

I mean 4 A's in the upcoming 4 exams I have, not 4 A levels, but unless by small breaks you mean 5 or 6 hours long I may as well give up now :s-smilie:

Yeah I know that. For A-Levels you cannot be lazy. I was a bit lazy for my exams and did not do great. I got BBC in Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Look at it this way

There are 24 hours a day. 8 hours for sleeping. That leaves 16 hours left.

Make a time table and stick to it.
:P I don't even have a predicted grade for my A2 Chem- my teachers think I'm a waste of time...

I need all A's for my summer exams (3 Chem, 2 Bio, 2 Maths, with a bit of Art chucked in on top) - I've been working every day for the last 2 weeks, 10(ish) till 5, normally less, (I get distracted easily :P) I've raised my CHEM2 grade from a C to an A, CHEM5 from a D to a B, and CHEM4 from what I'm guessing was a U, to a B. All this, whilst maintaining my A's in Biology, by revising that a lil, doing a few past papers, etc. and my Maths revision guides are coming tomorrow, so I'll probs quit Chem and do a few days on those.

In terms of revision advice?

Try and fit in AT LEAST 3-5 hours on days you aren't in college. That's not including breaks :P

I normally do a past paper right at the start of my revision, just to see where I am and what needs doing. MARK IT REALLY MEANLY!! :P

My Chemistry teacher told me to find every question I could, and do them all twice, so I'm kind of doing that - working through revision guides for all my subjects, along with textbooks, and collections of past questions for each topic, doing ALL the questions, no matter how many times I've seen exactly the same question before, yes, even if they're essay questions!! Then, if its not quite there, I'll go back, re-read the topic, maybe research a bit more on the bit I don't know, and then try the question again...

Always mark papers and questions after you do them, and make sure you understand why they are wrong...

It takes forever, but if you think about it, it only a month or two out of your whole life, and it can radically improve your future... If it was cleaning sewers, but you knew you'd get say, your dream life at the end of it, would you do it?
Reply 8
Original post by itspossible
:P I don't even have a predicted grade for my A2 Chem- my teachers think I'm a waste of time...

I need all A's for my summer exams (3 Chem, 2 Bio, 2 Maths, with a bit of Art chucked in on top) - I've been working every day for the last 2 weeks, 10(ish) till 5, normally less, (I get distracted easily :P) I've raised my CHEM2 grade from a C to an A, CHEM5 from a D to a B, and CHEM4 from what I'm guessing was a U, to a B. All this, whilst maintaining my A's in Biology, by revising that a lil, doing a few past papers, etc. and my Maths revision guides are coming tomorrow, so I'll probs quit Chem and do a few days on those.

Try and fit in AT LEAST 3-5 hours on days you aren't in college. That's not including breaks :P

I normally do a past paper right at the start of my revision, just to see where I am and what needs doing. MARK IT REALLY MEANLY!! :P

My Chemistry teacher told me to find every question I could, and do them all twice, so I'm kind of doing that - working through revision guides for all my subjects, along with textbooks, and collections of past questions for each topic, doing ALL the questions, no matter how many times I've seen exactly the same question before, yes, even if they're essay questions!! Then, if its not quite there, I'll go back, re-read the topic, maybe research a bit more on the bit I don't know, and then try the question again...

Always mark papers and questions after you do them, and make sure you understand why they are wrong...

It takes forever, but if you think about it, it only a month or two out of your whole life, and it can radically improve your future... If it was cleaning sewers, but you knew you'd get say, your dream life at the end of it, would you do it?

Thats really helpful, thanks for that! :thumbsup:
no problem :wink:
Original post by itspossible

Have you got any specific tips on learning Chem5? It's quite complicated
Original post by LifeIsGood
Have you got any specific tips on learning Chem5? It's quite complicated

Trying to memorise the colours at this second actually :P

I would learn all the mechanisms and theory etc, through the techniques i mentioned, but use charts etc for colours and other stuff that is literally memorising :P
The week/few days before the exam I'm just going to memorise those bits to the point where I can write them all down. I'll go into the exam, ask for extra paper immediately, and write down all the colours and then just refer to that :P
I do a lot of associative memory, like adding acid to dichromate makes chromate, because red plus yellow is orange, and the first ionisation energy pattern is UpUpDownUpDownUpUp, which, when you take the first letter of each makes UUDUDUU, which sounds like the sheep from Babe with their BaaRamEwe stuff :P I'll maybe put new lyrics to a cheesy old song - my friend did one 4 years ago about the menstruation cycle, and I still remember it to this day :P

They sound really stupid, but that's what works for me - the more I can associate, the better!!!

I definitely recommend the CGP AQA AS and A2 Revision guide, even if it is a little patronising :P, and go through every page of questions...
If you have trouble understanding anything, let me know, and I'll try and help you!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Make sure you do notes on all the subjects. Then past papers and more past papers!
Reply 13
What I did last year was create a revision schedule and stuck to it like a very sticky thing sticking to something, then planned it so I revised for my first exam first, then second, then third....then after revising context/basics/rules I would do past papers/ set questions, read the examiers reports....I managed 3 A's and the week before I was getting a C in history so it is possible !! :smile:
Reply 14
In addition to what the others have said, make sure you stay calm at all times. Don't put yourself under any pressure(unless you want the pressure because you work better under it).

Don't burn yourself out either...

Quick Reply

Latest