The Student Room Group

No science A levels - less options in future?

I'm planning on doing law, and I really want to try Cambridge. However knowing me, I will probably change my mind and for that reason I want to keep my options of what to study at uni, open. I've picked a mixture of what I really enjoy, what I'm good at and what would be better regarded by universities:

Economics
Politics
History
Maths

As you can see I have no science in there. If I were to do one I would do chemistry, but I can't really do anything with only maths and chemistry can I?
I'm also contemplating on whether I should take Philosophy AS...
Also, are these suitable A levels for law at Cambridge?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Maths is classed as a science

And yes that's a strong combination of A Levels, it's fine
Reply 2
I see the purest science in that list.
You have maths! Your life is absolutely sorted I promise you :smile:
Reply 4
I fail to see what your problem is. Even though there are no sciences that is a very strong combination of A Levels. Your gonna go far my friend :smile:
Reply 5
Ah so maths is classed as a science? Never knew that. :redface:
So it's worth taking maths without another science?
Thanks guys!
Do English lit instead of economics or politics.
Yeah your combination is fine - One of my class mates is going to Oxford to study law and she studies maths, english literature, French and did history AS.

If you want to have subjects that keeps your options as open a possible you could also consider geography! (I study maths, geography, politics and did history as so it was rather balanced at as - one art subject, one science and two social sciences. Otherwise English literature or a language would be safe options :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Stardust Mirage

I'm predicted A* in english lit, but the A level course doesn't really appeal to me... :erm:
Original post by Lawabiding
Thanks guys!

Oh be warned - some unis have certain requirements: check their websites! But this only applies to science courses really - e.g. Some courses requires you to do at least two sciences, others requires at least an as level in maths - which is in your list, so all sorted. :wink: :P
Reply 10

If you did OP, we'd be subject twins.

Do it.
I'm predicted A* in english lit, but the A level course doesn't really appeal to me... :erm:

It's just that it would be more useful for law than economics or politics. Maybe you should consider a language, it would be really beneficial and it's looked upon highly by unis.
Thanks guys!

I probably wouldn't bother with another really (and I did all the sciences so would normally support them).

You could call maths A level a science in a sense as no 'real' maths starts until degree level it essentially teaches you the most basic techniques for university science.
Reply 13
Take what you like, there's no point in taking a subject just to keep your options open. You need to narrow them eventually. Also, that's a wicked good combination of subjects, no university will look down on those, though obv. you couldn't get into, say, NatSci, I'd guess, since you'd need another science. Definitely good enough for Law at Cambridge depending on the grades you get, and Philosophy is awesome and would go perfectly with those subjects, but unless you're really sure you can do the extra work I wouldn't advise it (I'm assuming you mean taking it as a fifth). That said, taking 5 isn't that bad if you're willing to give up free periods and you enjoy the subjects.
Go for it, they're cool subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by najinaji
If you did OP, we'd be subject twins.

Do it.

Haha! Really? Are you doing GCSEs at the moment? Or AS'? :tongue: What do you intend to do/study in the future?

It's just that it would be more useful for law than economics or politics. Maybe you should consider a language, it would be really beneficial and it's looked upon highly by unis.

Do you do english literature? I hear it's incredibly difficult to get an A in? It's the vast amount of fictional reading you have to do that puts me off. Apparently more so than any other subject? Albeit if I did english lit, I'd swap it with economics. I like politics too much. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Bimbleby
Take what you like, there's no point in taking a subject just to keep your options open. You need to narrow them eventually. Also, that's a wicked good combination of subjects, no university will look down on those, though obv. you couldn't get into, say, NatSci, I'd guess, since you'd need another science. Definitely good enough for Law at Cambridge depending on the grades you get, and Philosophy is awesome and would go perfectly with those subjects, but unless you're really sure you can do the extra work I wouldn't advise it (I'm assuming you mean taking it as a fifth). That said, taking 5 isn't that bad if you're willing to give up free periods and you enjoy the subjects.
Go for it, they're cool subjects.

I'm definately not taking 5 as my sixth form won't let me :tongue: but would it be a better subject to take than say economics? Lots of people have recommended english lit instead.

Thanks for commenting :smile:
it depends what career you want. maths is automatically a good idea regardless, and chemistry would certainly give you that option too. I imagine politics is the least useful in terms of options if you aren't gonna go into politics, unless you take it purely out of interest, but if that's the case you can pick up loads of politics from just reading the news, browsing the net etc. Also I'm kind of skeptical about taking english too far as well, as I know a few english graduates who are either still jobless after 18 months or have jobs that they could have got without a degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm definately not taking 5 as my sixth form won't let me :tongue: but would it be a better subject to take than say economics? Lots of people have recommended english lit instead.

I definitely wouldn't take it instead of Economics or Eng Lit, it's probably not quite as well respected... just since it's newer, really. Economics and Lit have that old-school clout.

I loved English Lit and I'd highly recommend it, it's definitely not more work than other subjects, if anything I found it less... certainly compared to Latin and Music... The thing about English Lit, in my experience, is that it's not very predictable. So you can revise by reading the books, doing practice papers and generally do well in class, but sometimes it's easy to get a weird low mark on an exam essay... it's a lot more subjective than something like Economics. For me, English was more enjoyable, but if you want security and you want to know that working hard will guarantee you a good mark (or make it a lot more probable), instead of leaving it a little bit to chance, then Economics is probably a better bet than Eng Lit.
Lit might be considered good for Law, though... maybe have a look. I don't know... I'm not a lawyer!

I would say so, economics doesn't doesn't really help you much if you want to do law. The best combination in my opinion would be Maths/science, a language, history and English lit. History and English lit shows that you can analyse and interpret things. Economics is obviously a good A level, I do it too :biggrin: but if you're planning to do law, English lit would give you more of an advantage.
Reply 19
Original post by Bimbleby
I definitely wouldn't take it instead of Economics or Eng Lit, it's probably not quite as well respected... just since it's newer, really. Economics and Lit have that old-school clout.

I loved English Lit and I'd highly recommend it, it's definitely not more work than other subjects, if anything I found it less... certainly compared to Latin and Music... The thing about English Lit, in my experience, is that it's not very predictable. So you can revise by reading the books, doing practice papers and generally do well in class, but sometimes it's easy to get a weird low mark on an exam essay... it's a lot more subjective than something like Economics. For me, English was more enjoyable, but if you want security and you want to know that working hard will guarantee you a good mark (or make it a lot more probable), instead of leaving it a little bit to chance, then Economics is probably a better bet than Eng Lit.
Lit might be considered good for Law, though... maybe have a look. I don't know... I'm not a lawyer!

I want to do law at Cambridge too, and let me tell you OP, english lit is brilliant. You learn to analyse critically to a point where you can do it with anything that is thrown at you. It's a good subject for law and is looked highly upon by universities. However I can't deny what one of the other posters commented on about it being subjective. You're not really secured a grade in every exam just because of its non-factual nature. You can't learn from mark schemes nor predict what sort of questions they will give you. In that sense, economics is a safer option to take.

Quick Reply

Latest