The Student Room Group

Hunting : Your views?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zen Baphomet
They do however have a Biologically ingrained desire even if they lack sentience.

The only difference between us and a plant is the complexity of that desire and its chemical and electrical expression(i.e thought)

They don't have a "biologically ingrained desire". A "desire" arises from conscious thought, something which plants clearly lack. Plants' survival is an automatic process. They cannot feel pain and they cannot suffer, therefore they have no desires at all.

Original post by Zen Baphomet
Provide one of the methods you think is a viable alternative to culling and ill show you why its unviable.
It makes more sense since you made the initial proposal, better than me guessing methods your aware of.

I have already stated in previous posts that 'therapeutic hunting' may be morally permissible. I was merely musing, stating that if there are viable alternatives to culling, they would be preferable. As I've said before as well, I've not done much research so far and I don't have time to at the moment - my question to you in my previous post was just a stepping stone to gaining more knowledge about the subject and any alternatives. (I post this with the assumption that you were not saying there are no viable alternatives, other than infanticide, to combating human overpopulation which could be inferred from the quotation you cited.)
(edited 9 years ago)
My views are as follows:

If you are hunting for food, environmental reasons (such as necessary culling, perhaps to stop disease or whatever) then I think it is acceptable. If you are hunting for a thrill, or the 'satisfaction of the hunt' then it is cruel, and unnecessary.
Reply 122
while I hunt with a variety of methods, shooting is actually my least favourite. I like the prey having a chance. when I fly a hawk against a hare or rabbit, it really is a survival competition. if the rabbit isn't fit enough it will fall prey to the hawk at which point I go in and neck it, killing it quickly and humanely.
same with the dogs, if I bolt rabbits to the dogs, my dog will course the rabbit, and if it catches it will bring it back unharmed to me where again, I will neck it killing it humanely.
people need to remember, hunting is vital to our country. without hunting crops would be decimated, I have seen it many times. on average I can pull about 25-30 rabbits per field. and rabbits eat a lot. and when they have young they eat even more. and it's not only crop damage, they can cause structural damage to buildings by building Warrens under the foundations . their Warrens in the middle of fields can be dangerous to livestock, I have known several horses break legs due to Warrens.
the problem I have, is when people start calling me an animal abuser, scum, physically attack me, verbally attack my family. all of which has happened. sometimes by people who eat meat!
so I provide a service, in return I get a lot of healthy delicious meat. I will never stop hunting.
I'd love to go one day. next time I go Nigeria, I'll make sure I go hunting.
Hunting for animals you plan to eat, is okay. Hunting just to hunt and trophy hunting, not okay. The difference is hunting to eat, not entertainment. I saw an article of a lady who killed her neighbor’s cat without knowing the owner of the time with a bow.

Sometimes hunters go past boundaries and can mistake humans for deers or other animals. Just to kill, for the purpose of killing or seeking the thrill of the hunt, I don’t think is a good idea in every situation. Not all animals are friendly and it is not smart to risk your own life just to kill.
Reply 125
Original post by SmileyVibe
Hunting for animals you plan to eat, is okay. Hunting just to hunt and trophy hunting, not okay. The difference is hunting to eat, not entertainment. I saw an article of a lady who killed her neighbor’s cat without knowing the owner of the time with a bow.

Sometimes hunters go past boundaries and can mistake humans for deers or other animals. Just to kill, for the purpose of killing or seeking the thrill of the hunt, I don’t think is a good idea in every situation. Not all animals are friendly and it is not smart to risk your own life just to kill.

while I Don't personally like trophy hunting myself, you have to remember that trophy hunting brings in vital revenue which is used to conserve the animals on that reserve. hunting is the best form of conservation. surely it's better for one lion to be shot to save the whole pride than to have no revenue and the land end up unprotected along with the habitat of all the animals in the area. trophy hunting also funds the anti-poaching forces.
while I don't see the point of it, it's benefits can't be ignored
Couldn't trust someone who took pleasure in killing animals. I get the impression that rampant egotism is a big part of it, all those photos holding their big gun up and standing over the face of some dead creature. Yeah, you're totally awesome!
Reply 127
Original post by Axiomasher
Couldn't trust someone who took pleasure in killing animals. I get the impression that rampant egotism is a big part of it, all those photos holding their big gun up and standing over the face of some dead creature. Yeah, you're totally awesome!

yes hunting almost always ends in the death of an animal but killing for pleasure is rarely the reason we hunt. there is far far more to it. the fact you refuse to learn about hunting before having an opinion is telling.
my hunting is nothing to do with egotism. I rarely use guns and I rarely post pictures of my catch.
it's funny though, you reap the benefits of hunting every day yet you are completely unaware of it.
if it wasn't for hunting, humanity would die out, it's as simple as that.
Original post by bhawk
...killing for pleasure is rarely the reason we hunt...

I guess rarely is better than always. Most people who eat meat are eating farmed animals not hunted animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending