The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University vs University Of London External Program

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forrestgump2014
Hi,

I am about to register for the llb at UofL. However, I am doing so late in the game. Not very familiar with this whole system? If I am not ready to sit for the exams in May or whenever they are can I postpone till next period? Am I able to study at my own pace or do I have to follow a certain time table set by the university? Thx

Hi LLB student,

If it's like CeFiMS (International Programmes), exams are in Sep/Oct. You have to pass 2 assignemnts on each course to be admitted for the course exam. You need to register for the exam/s somewhat between May-Jul.
Studying at your own pace is a big plus! You ll get a feeling about what you can manage after your first session. 3 courses per year are recommended (I did 4 courses 2 ys in a row which is extremely tough next to a full-time job).
Grades might be less than what you are used to (LSE standards).

Good luck!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 141
Original post by howtocomplain
Hi LLB student,

If it's like CeFiMS (International Programmes), exams are in Sep/Oct. You have to pass 2 assignemnts on each course to be admitted for the course exam. You need to register for the exam/s somewhat between May-Jul.
Studying at your own pace is a big plus! You ll get a feeling about what you can manage after your first session. 3 courses per year are recommended (I did 4 courses 2 ys in a row which is extremely tough next to a full-time job).
Grades might be less than what you are used to (LSE standards).

Good luck!

Excuse me, what are you talking about? Where did you get this piece of information from? I've never had to submit any written assignments in order to be allowed to sit for exams. Only the new CLRI exam requires that you submit a casenote. Also, the exams are always held in May/June, unless of course you don't pass, in which case you can re-take them in October. Therefore, if one wishes to register for the exams in any given year, one normally has to do so by the end of January of said year. Exceptionally, the exam registration deadline this year has been extended, as there were some problems with the online reg system. In addition, let's not forget, of course, that all students have to contact their local examination centres in order to be informed of the deadline for the submission of examination entries, as, in most cases, it is different from the one set by the university.

I do agree with you about the amount of studying required and the low grades, though.
Reply 142
Original post by jeeperscreepers
I strongly agree with lifelonged’s comments. I found studying with the UoL external system challenging but hugely rewarding. Ultimately it is a debt free way to a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the UK. I now have a degree set by the LSE and most employers feel that studying part time and by distance shows high levels of self discipline and motivation. As a result of studying my employer has commented repeatedly in my appraisals about my desire for self-development and the improvement in my written work. I have been given two promotions and although they are not directly linked to the UoL I feel it played a part in boosting my ability to assess information and communicate more effectively.

I would just disagree on one point. I make no claims to academic brilliance; I failed my 11 plus exam, got modest A-Levels and dropped out of university at 19. I saw the UoL as my last chance and really threw myself at the course. Not only did I get a 2:1 and nearly a first I also got a place on a Masters course at Cambridge. So I wouldn’t be put off if you have a modest academic background to date. The course demands very high standards, but if you have some ability and give the course the respect and time it deserves you can still achieve good marks.

I agree. You don' t have to be brilliant to get a good degree at ANY British university.
Go for UoL every time as it has such a high reputation worldwide.
Reply 143
Original post by headegg
I agree. You don' t have to be brilliant to get a good degree at ANY British university.
Go for UoL every time as it has such a high reputation worldwide.

UoL external students get notoriously low marks on average. Less than 8% get a first or 2.1.

There is examiner's bias when grading external exams at the UoL and I would not advice studying there if you get stressed out by your marks.

While the OU is not easier, their grading is a bit more fair, plus you get much better guidance.
Reply 144
I signed up to do a course with UoL and let me tell you, you are really thrown in at the deep end.
If you have done A Levels and are used to the structured "Week 1: Do this"; "Week 2: Complete this"; "Read this"; etc. YOU ARE IN FOR A SHOCK
The sign up is all independent; the system is deep and extremely integral. Your point of contact seems to be akin to a 'call centre'. Information is sparse, at best.

I have since signed up for OCA.ac.uk and from what I hear it has more structure; good tutors; and a straightforward system. I will keep you informed how the course goes, but they let you sign up for one unit at a time. For the best distance learning? I think OCA will work out where UoL did not.
I highly doubt that these degrees are as hard as those offered by the real LSE. Let's get real if they were then surely the international programs would lead to IB, which they do not.
Reply 146
Original post by BrianD

I have since signed up for OCA.ac.uk and from what I hear it has more structure; good tutors; and a straightforward system. I will keep you informed how the course goes, but they let you sign up for one unit at a time. For the best distance learning? I think OCA will work out where UoL did not.

Are you affiliated with them or this is a joke?

Unless there are people who actually PAY REAL MONEY to get a "bachelor" in:

BA (hons) Creative Arts
BA (hons) Painting
BA (hons) Photography
BA (hons) Textiles
BA (hons) Creative Writing
BA (hons) Visual Communication

Nobody cares or will hire anyone with a "degree" in any of these areas. There are much better ways to go in debt or spend your money.

This is one big sham. If I was you I would try to cancel the registration and get my money back ASAP!
(edited 8 years ago)
Does any one know abou the SOAS external program? Is it good?
Did anyone study with the UOL in the end? What were your results?
Hey,
I was thinking of enrolling in UoL (or LSE) for the 1 year Postgrad Economics course. But after reading all the reviews I am not so sure.
Has anyone taken this particular course before?

I have no background in economics but it is a requirement for my masters program, which will start after a year.
Any other universities which have similar distance learning courses and are internationally recognized?

The 1 year duration, affordability and international validity are very important to me.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Original post by Ariadne9
Hey,
I was thinking of enrolling in UoL (or LSE) for the 1 year Postgrad Economics course. But after reading all the reviews I am not so sure.
Has anyone taken this particular course before?

I have no background in economics but it is a requirement for my masters program, which will start after a year.
Any other universities which have similar distance learning courses and are internationally recognized?

The 1 year duration, affordability and international validity are very important to me.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

I'm studying with the UoL IP and just starting the second year (different programme than yours though). You have to be very disciplined as you study independently but I really enjoyed the first year. If you are motivated to study, I'd recommend UoL.
Original post by elisabeth1
I'm studying with the UoL IP and just starting the second year (different programme than yours though). You have to be very disciplined as you study independently but I really enjoyed the first year. If you are motivated to study, I'd recommend UoL.

Hi, what course are you doing? Could you say how much support you get from tutors (if any)?

Thanks!
Original post by pixie toes
Hi, what course are you doing? Could you say how much support you get from tutors (if any)?

Thanks!

I'm doing Business Administration with HRM. You can get support if you need any. Basically you can post your question on the portal and your tutor will answer you there. We created our study group on WhatsApp and Skype etc with all students so we can help each other. If nobody knows the answer, then we ask the tutor :wink:
Original post by elisabeth1
I'm doing Business Administration with HRM. You can get support if you need any. Basically you can post your question on the portal and your tutor will answer you there. We created our study group on WhatsApp and Skype etc with all students so we can help each other. If nobody knows the answer, then we ask the tutor :wink:

Oh that sounds quite promising. Considering doing a LSE Graduate Diploma through UoLIP when I finish my Open University bachelors. Hopefully should give CV a boost.
Original post by pixie toes
Oh that sounds quite promising. Considering doing a LSE Graduate Diploma through UoLIP when I finish my Open University bachelors. Hopefully should give CV a boost.

I'll probably do the same. I've read somewhere that the OU gives more support/guidance so not sure how you will find it with UoL but it works fine for me
Thank you for your post here. I may choose the OU

Quick Reply

Latest