The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

I know it's been mentioned in places on here, but thought it would be useful to start a thread for it in case anyone's missed it :smile: I thought it might be especially helpful to some of the younger members who may not have been able to do any actual work experience in a hospital, or people who are just starting to consider medicine, to get a taste of what you're letting yourselves in for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb30f

It's a documentary following the lives of seven F1/F2 doctors in a hospital, and looks like it'll be really interesting. The doctors involved seem like they're all quite different so it'll be nice to see a variety of different personalities. There's even a GEP medic (yay! :wink:)

It starts tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 9pm. I'm going to miss it as I'm on night shifts but I'll be iPlayer-ing it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks! I'll be sure to check this out.
Reply 2
Argh, obviously I meant HANDS. Stupid iPhone keypad. Could someone change the thread title for me please? :colondollar:
Reply 3
Thank you! I would change it but I don't know how o.0
Reply 4
A cliched and somewhat flawed title is hardly the most auspicious of starts to a program.

I fear they are likely to have recruited somewhat egotistical FY1/FY2s too - I can imagine no sane/competent FY1/FY2 would volunteer for this.
Reply 5
thanks for reminding me OP....I saw the advert for it and am planning to watch it. I like these kind of series that shadow real doctors as they go about doing their jobs as opposed to shows like casualty and holby city which are very glamourised and OTT. shows like this give people a somewhat real idea of what to expect. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ataloss
A cliched and somewhat flawed title is hardly the most auspicious of starts to a program.

I fear they are likely to have recruited somewhat egotistical FY1/FY2s too - I can imagine no sane/competent FY1/FY2 would volunteer for this.

I know two of the people on the show, one of them reasonably well. I certainly wouldn't call their competence into question, but sanity... :wink:

Seriously though, I found life as a baby F1 on call stressful enough when it was just me who knew I didn't have a clue; don't think I could cope with sharing that with a TV camera!
Reply 7
Saw the advert, seemed interesting; will watch. I hope it isn't too soppy
Reply 8
Original post by Ataloss
I got e-mailed during the trawl for characters, I thought about it for, ooh, five seconds or so...
oooo thanks for the reminder, is aw the advert last week and i was like 'imma watch that' but then i forgot but thanks to you, imma make sure i watch it 2moz. :biggrin: i guess this will be a realistic view of junior doctors
yea gonna watch this seen some of the personal profile vid each of theses f1s produced found some of them quite funny
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
I know two of the people on the show, one of them reasonably well. I certainly wouldn't call their competence into question, but sanity... :wink:

Seriously though, I found life as a baby F1 on call stressful enough when it was just me who knew I didn't have a clue; don't think I could cope with sharing that with a TV camera!

Competence was entirely the wrong word. I'm not sure what the word I am looking for is.

However, potentially challenging a Consultant on the ego stakes and putting his/her back up by being a "TV star" and I'm sure alienating many of the nurses - I can hear the twittering ("this one loves himself/herself; he/she is on that TV show") would not be the way I would want to start my career/hospital life.
Reply 12
Original post by Renal
I got e-mailed during the trawl for characters, I thought about it for, ooh, five seconds or so...

That's 4.5 seconds too long. :wink:
*subscribes*
will be watching!
Original post by LaRoar
There's even a GEP medic (yay! :wink:)

Interesting, I might watch it since it's one of the options I'm considering after uni

EDIT: And what coincidence, he done psychology and neuroscience :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Interesting, I'm suprised the hospitals have agreed to this - especially with such an ill considered title.
Sounds interesting! Thanks for letting me know, this is definitely something Id watch.

:biggrin:
Reply 17
Have no idea whether i should be watching this the night before an interview?
Reply 18
Original post by Helenia

Which ones? One of the 7 is our dem, so of course we have been mocking them mercilessly. Tomorrow will just provide more fodder :yes:
I didn't know about this program. I'll definitely be watching it. I'm assuming it's a series and not a one-off?

Quick Reply

Latest