The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Going running now :biggrin: Although not going yesterday means I'm going to have to get up really early on Saturday so I can get my lsat run of the week in before I go home :sad:
Reply 61
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Going running now :biggrin: Although not going yesterday means I'm going to have to get up really early on Saturday so I can get my lsat run of the week in before I go home :sad:

Aww that sucks! :frown:
Saturday mornings were meant for lay-ins! :biggrin:
Good luck, what week are you on now?
Original post by Athena21

Aww that sucks! :frown:
Saturday mornings were meant for lay-ins! :biggrin:
Good luck, what week are you on now?

Tomorrow will be the end of week 6 :biggrin: Although I'm not looking forward to future weeks, as they are 25, then 28 then 30 minutes 3 times a week. They just seem boring :unsure: :p:
Reply 63
I have just completed my 2nd run of Week 3.
Really surprised that I've stuck at it this long!
Was a killer though. No one tell me what week 4 involves, I don't want to know! :tongue:

My boyfriend has decided that he won't come running with me if I do my 2nd route around the river because someone mentioned 'sun-bathing adders' and he's scared of snakes! :colone:

Next run: Sunday Morning :smile: (Will be Wk3R3)
Reply 64
Tomorrow will be the end of week 6 :biggrin: Although I'm not looking forward to future weeks, as they are 25, then 28 then 30 minutes 3 times a week. They just seem boring :unsure: :p:

Maybe switch from the podcast to decent music at that point :awesome:
Maybe switch from the podcast to decent music at that point :awesome:

To be fair I quite like some of the songs on the podcast. There are 3 on week 6 I really like, but googling the lyrics has revealed nothing.

And also, without the podcast and the "you've got 5 minutes left" I'd be more likely to give up/not time it at all.

Basically, I need the podcast :p:
Still haven't started. Reaaaalllllyyyy want to... only thing is that I can either join the gym and simply go running on a treadmill (and maybe use the rowing machine or cross trainer) for 3 days a week, or I can go running outside, although from what I've heard it isn't a particularly safe neighbourhood, and I suck at running outside.

help :frown: I'm pretty sick of feeling groggy and fat now ><
Reply 67
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Still haven't started. Reaaaalllllyyyy want to... only thing is that I can either join the gym and simply go running on a treadmill (and maybe use the rowing machine or cross trainer) for 3 days a week, or I can go running outside, although from what I've heard it isn't a particularly safe neighbourhood, and I suck at running outside.

help :frown: I'm pretty sick of feeling groggy and fat now ><

You can do it! You just need to get yourself out for that first run - I found that for me it really broke the ice! :smile:

I would personally recommend running outside because 1) It's better for your body, 2) Gyms cost money and 3) running on a treadmill is boring :tongue:

Maybe you should consider running outside at safe times of day - avoid the late evenings when things get dark and stick to well lit roads?
Not sure of the stats of early morning crime but maybe that or day time would be best? :dontknow:

I suck at running outside too. But you get better at it, and you can vary your routes, unlike the gym :smile:
You can do it! You just need to get yourself out for that first run - I found that for me it really broke the ice! :smile:

I would personally recommend running outside because 1) It's better for your body, 2) Gyms cost money and 3) running on a treadmill is boring :tongue:

Maybe you should consider running outside at safe times of day - avoid the late evenings when things get dark and stick to well lit roads?
Not sure of the stats of early morning crime but maybe that or day time would be best? :dontknow:

I suck at running outside too. But you get better at it, and you can vary your routes, unlike the gym :smile:

Don't you feel self conscious about running technique when running outside? Feels like at the gym everyone's into their own thing so they don't really care. :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Don't you feel self conscious about running technique when running outside? Feels like at the gym everyone's into their own thing so they don't really care. :s-smilie:

Yeah, I feel self concious about everything when I run outside.
Do I look like a runner? I have to stop and walk now will people think I'm unfit? I'm red and out of breath, everyone is looking at me. What happens if I pass a real runner? What if I don't know how to run properly?

I have thought probably every one of those atleast once, while doing C25K.

I just had to realise that nobody really cared what I was doing out there, and that everyone is absorbed in whatever else they are doing and aren't looking at you/judging you.

Sometimes I think things that people could be thinking that make me sound less rubbish, like "I'm just recovering from an injury" or something lol :dontknow:

At the end of the day, who cares what other people think?
:biggrin:
Reply 70
I went out for another run today and felt much better about it that the last one! Think I might have pushed myself a bit too hard though, my legs are so stiff!

When people get like this, do they still run on it? Is that likely to damage anything, or if I just do my stretches will it be ok?

Glad to hear so much success in this thread!

Yeah, I feel self concious about everything when I run outside.
Do I look like a runner? I have to stop and walk now will people think I'm unfit? I'm red and out of breath, everyone is looking at me. What happens if I pass a real runner? What if I don't know how to run properly?

I have thought probably every one of those atleast once, while doing C25K.

I just had to realise that nobody really cared what I was doing out there, and that everyone is absorbed in whatever else they are doing and aren't looking at you/judging you.

Sometimes I think things that people could be thinking that make me sound less rubbish, like &quot;I'm just recovering from an injury&quot; or something lol :dontknow:

At the end of the day, who cares what other people think?
:biggrin:

TBH, I believe this - more experienced runners had to start out once, too. Also, as for innocent bystanders, I just use them to try and spur me on.

When I go for runs anyway, I seem to be doing no exercise at the moment...
Original post by Robbolo

Original post by Robbolo
I went out for another run today and felt much better about it that the last one! Think I might have pushed myself a bit too hard though, my legs are so stiff!

When people get like this, do they still run on it? Is that likely to damage anything, or if I just do my stretches will it be ok?

Do decent stretching and it should go away, also apparently running on them won't do much damage - the increased blood flow will help them. This, however, came from a rather crappy women's running magazine so take of it what you will.
Reply 73
I am starting this first thing in the morning! Hope it doesn't rain :/
Reply 74
Original post by Robbolo

Stretch in the shower to help get the stiffness out
Okay I need to go for a run today. Although I have a feeling I'm not going to get out as much now that I'm home.

And I was doing so well! :cry2:
Reply 76
where can you get the podcasts for this? or do you just listen to regular songs?
Reply 77
oh, found them on the nhs website. i hope it has music! :biggrin: and how much of a change in overall toning and fitness and weightloss has this had on people in general?
Original post by Sawwah
oh, found them on the nhs website. i hope it has music! :biggrin: and how much of a change in overall toning and fitness and weightloss has this had on people in general?

The music isn't that great really.

I'm back to week 1 again as I gave up a few weeks ago after getting a lot of pain in my chest from breathing badly. Or at least, I guess that's what its from. I can dance for hours, but when it comes to running I'm really struggling.

I'm starting work an hour later than usual this week, so hopefully I'm going to try and run in the mornings before it gets too hot. Just need to work on breathing techniques I think.
Reply 79
Original post by Scooby
I am starting this first thing in the morning! Hope it doesn't rain :/

Good luck! :biggrin: Number 1 is one of the hardest, so don't worry if you feel so unfit after, it gets better :smile:

Okay I need to go for a run today. Although I have a feeling I'm not going to get out as much now that I'm home.

And I was doing so well! :cry2:

lol I know the feeling. I went away for the weekend so I missed my sunday run, then I overslept for work this morning so I'm going tomorrow morning for definate!

Original post by Sawwah

Yeah it has music, and they're really easy to follow :smile:
I'm only at the end of week 3, but I've lost a couple of inches and 2lbs so far, so hoping it will get better as the intensity and length of the runs increases :smile:

Original post by Zebrastripes
The music isn't that great really.

I'm back to week 1 again as I gave up a few weeks ago after getting a lot of pain in my chest from breathing badly. Or at least, I guess that's what its from. I can dance for hours, but when it comes to running I'm really struggling.

I'm starting work an hour later than usual this week, so hopefully I'm going to try and run in the mornings before it gets too hot. Just need to work on breathing techniques I think.

Hope the breathing problems improve for you, maybe see a doctor? Yeah the music is pretty terrible...:smile:
Good luck for week 1!

Just bought my new running shoes, they're purple and white, and awesome :ahee: Let's see how they fare on my run tomorrow....
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest