The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
Yes.

Sorry, just a bit confused. Thanks
Reply 81
Original post by v3ng3anc3z
By and large, forget ‘career prospects’ and go for what really interests you and you are good at.

I was wondering why do you say this???

Isn't it quite pointless if you finish a degree in X but still unable to find a job?

Anyways, I am in a huge dilemma... I have great interest in Management but I heard that the prospects and prestige of taking an Economics degree is greater... Any advice?

Thank you so much!
I have a personal view - and it is purely a personal one - that undergrad studies in management are a waste of time. Far better to go for post-grad when you have some serious work experience under your belt and know what you're talking about. So I would agree that an economics degree is likely to offer someone far more in the way of career prospects than a degree in management.

However, most graduate jobs/training schemes do not specify the degree subject, only the class (usually a 2:1 in the latter case). If you do a subject you enjoy and are good at, whatever it is, you will stand a better chance of getting that 2:1.

As an example, history graduates are everywhere in the world of work - and relatively few of them are being paid as historians. The reason they get other jobs is because studying history teaches them enormously useful transferable skills, that can be usefully deployed in a huge variety of settings, whether public or private sector.
Reply 82
Original post by Minerva
I have a personal view - and it is purely a personal one - that undergrad studies in management are a waste of time. Far better to go for post-grad when you have some serious work experience under your belt and know what you're talking about. So I would agree that an economics degree is likely to offer someone far more in the way of career prospects than a degree in management.

However, most graduate jobs/training schemes do not specify the degree subject, only the class (usually a 2:1 in the latter case). If you do a subject you enjoy and are good at, whatever it is, you will stand a better chance of getting that 2:1.

As an example, history graduates are everywhere in the world of work - and relatively few of them are being paid as historians. The reason they get other jobs is because studying history teaches them enormously useful transferable skills, that can be usefully deployed in a huge variety of settings, whether public or private sector.

OMG. The exact same sentiments that I have of Management being quite a useless degree at the undergraduate level! T.T

Because I currently have a place in 2012 LSE Management (applied from last year) I am wondering whether to apply again this year for Econs at schools like LSE, UCL, Warwick instead... But I'm scared of not getting any good Econs spots and also losing my LSE place (which was quite shocking that they accepted me!)

Haha, sorry for the incessant blabbering!
Reply 83
sorry if this is obvious but I have put my expected certification dates for A2 as August 2012 - but am resitting an AS in January - usually we get the results of a Jan resit in March - so do i put the certification date for that one as march or stick to August as I read somewhere they should all have the same certification date??

thanksxx:confused:
Reply 84
Original post by jayjay2
sorry if this is obvious but I have put my expected certification dates for A2 as August 2012 - but am resitting an AS in January - usually we get the results of a Jan resit in March - so do i put the certification date for that one as march or stick to August as I read somewhere they should all have the same certification date??

thanksxx:confused:
They don't have to have the same certification date - check with your exam centre as to when the resit will be certificated and enter that.
Reply 85
Hey guys, quick question - I took GCSE Law in year 9 and didn't do so well in it (ended up with a D grade). Do I need to put this down on my UCAS application?
Original post by Ashfaaace

Original post by Ashfaaace
Hey guys, quick question - I took GCSE Law in year 9 and didn't do so well in it (ended up with a D grade). Do I need to put this down on my UCAS application?
Yes you do, sorry.
Hi, can I know in which do we have to enter UKCAT score ? I can't seem to find any particular section for it. Any Help please.
Reply 88
Thanks for this thread!

I have a question though that I've been wondering for quite some time. I have asked this from three people living in the UK and from a Finnish student organization forum, but nobody seems to get my point... I'll give it a go here, because this is really bothering me.

So, in Finland we don't get any official predicted grades. So basically what I did was asked each teacher give me a predicted grade. They all said I could get 7/7 from my exams, but that 6/7 was just as possible. Only about 5% of the students can get 7/7 because it's really hard to achieve this. My teacher weren't able to say which one I should put as my predicted grades.

What do you think, which one would be safer? 7/7 is realistic, yes, but really unsure, because basically it depends on how other people did on the exams and the grades are based on that. Is it better to put lower or higher predicted grades?
Reply 89
Original post by olympus123456
Hi, can I know in which do we have to enter UKCAT score ? I can't seem to find any particular section for it. Any Help please.
You enter the name of the exam centre where you were/are registered to take the test, and then should be able to find the qualification in the list of options - check out 'other' and see where that takes you.

Original post by MsStudent
Thanks for this thread!

I have a question though that I've been wondering for quite some time. I have asked this from three people living in the UK and from a Finnish student organization forum, but nobody seems to get my point... I'll give it a go here, because this is really bothering me.

So, in Finland we don't get any official predicted grades. So basically what I did was asked each teacher give me a predicted grade. They all said I could get 7/7 from my exams, but that 6/7 was just as possible. Only about 5% of the students can get 7/7 because it's really hard to achieve this. My teacher weren't able to say which one I should put as my predicted grades.

What do you think, which one would be safer? 7/7 is realistic, yes, but really unsure, because basically it depends on how other people did on the exams and the grades are based on that. Is it better to put lower or higher predicted grades?
It's probably safer to predict 6/7 in the subjects you feel less confident about, and risk a 7/7 in your strongest subject/s. If only 5% achieve the 7/7 it would be a bit risky to put 7/7 across all subjects, given that how you compare with everyone else makes a difference to the outcome.
Reply 90
When entering the module titles for your subjects, would listing module names like this for all my subjects- 'Economics: Unit 1' - be okay? I can't fit in the whole module name itself, so I'm wondering if listing the module titles by units would be okay, as opposed to using the abbreviations?
OK, so I've got my AS and A2 results and am applying for medicine this month as an individual. However, I'm retaking at least one Chemistry module and a Classics module, and am not sure exactly how to put this down on my UCAS form...

I believe I'm right in thinking that I enter ANOTHER A level for each of those ^ subjects and leave their overall results as 'pending', and the modules that I'm sitting as 'pending' also. However, it won't let me put a 'qualification date' of 2012, which it would be; 09, 10 and 11 being the only options. Sooo.... what am I supposed to do?! :confused:
Reply 92
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, do I need to mention "TSA" under pending qualifications in the "Education" section in UCAS?:confused:
Original post by Minerva
You enter the name of the exam centre where you were/are registered to take the test, and then should be able to find the qualification in the list of options - check out 'other' and see where that takes you.

There is no option to enter the exam centre. I can just find school names. However, I am getting mixed replies about this. Now I am hearing that scores will be sent directly through Pearson Vue to the universities I apply to.:confused:
Reply 94
Original post by olympus123456
There is no option to enter the exam centre. I can just find school names. However, I am getting mixed replies about this. Now I am hearing that scores will be sent directly through Pearson Vue to the universities I apply to.:confused:
Doesn't mean you don't have to enter the exam centre. If your centre isn't found by the Search function, you'll get 'my school/centre is not listed here' - click on that and you should be able to enter the details.

If the results are sent through directly they will still need to match up with your UCAS record, so don't leave it out. Also, if the unis that rely on the results can't see you have taken the UKCAT they'll reject you straight off.
Reply 95
Original post by Ash16
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, do I need to mention "TSA" under pending qualifications in the "Education" section in UCAS?:confused:
AFAIK Yes, assuming you mean the TSA used by Cambridge and others as an entry test. If in doubt check with UCAS.
Original post by Minerva
Doesn't mean you don't have to enter the exam centre. If your centre isn't found by the Search function, you'll get 'my school/centre is not listed here' - click on that and you should be able to enter the details.

If the results are sent through directly they will still need to match up with your UCAS record, so don't leave it out. Also, if the unis that rely on the results can't see you have taken the UKCAT they'll reject you straight off.

Right, I will do that. Thank you.
Sorry if this is a silly question, but a university that I'm probably going to apply to states that they require 320 tariff points and an A grade in one subject. When they give out offers, will they only be able to give them out in that format - or could they suddenly say they require ABB?

Thanks!
Reply 98
Original post by jones_wise
Sorry if this is a silly question, but a university that I'm probably going to apply to states that they require 320 tariff points and an A grade in one subject. When they give out offers, will they only be able to give them out in that format - or could they suddenly say they require ABB?

Thanks!
Unis can say whatever they like - but if they usually state their offers in points rather than grades, it's unlikely.
Reply 99
I'm a little confused, basically I finished college in June, but wasn't content with my A level history grade so plan on resitting. The exam is in June of next year. How do I enter this on the actual UCAS application? I'm resitting for a personal reason that's pretty valid, would I have to mention it anywhere? At the moment I have two full A levels and three AS levels. The second A level (the history) is what I'm resitting, but it's one exam, just one I didn't do too well in earlier this year. Any help? Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending