The Student Room Group

UCL or LSE

Hello student room! My first post...

I applied to Cambridge for geography, got put into the winter pool and in the end got nothing. I doubt I would have ever been accepted by the pool as I'm applying for a gap year.

Anyway, now my other options. I've applied for Durham and St Andrews for geography and economics but don't really fancy either.

More importantly, I have an offer from LSE for geography WITH economics and a selection open day next week at UCL (hopefully I'll get the place) for geography AND economics.

I really do not know which one I'd prefer. I'd like a social university but also one with great job prospects. The courses at both uni's are great and both rate well academically (obvious). However, LSE still ranks higher in the uni tables (it has higher job prospects than oxbridge for geo) but I don't belive it is a particularly social university.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice? I am prepared to work hard but don't want to be drowned with work for another 3 years.

So where should I go? Anyone who is at these uni's or are at them currently or who applying for the same courses who could help?

Cheers,

g

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE.
Reply 2
LSE if you want to do a dual course with econ

although the social life isnt great, and personally I think everyone here is a cock, but its still a better uni
Reply 3
haha, I think I'd enjoy life better at UCL but LSE is a better uni I reckon.

Is it possible to have a good social life at LSE? clubs? nightlife? football teams? etc. or is the workload just toooo mahousive!
Reply 4
LSE is the most lifeless university ever. It's a shed compared to UCL.

But LSE in terms of academics, but my god is it grim.
Reply 5
Original post by Ladbrielmiral
haha, I think I'd enjoy life better at UCL but LSE is a better uni I reckon.

Is it possible to have a good social life at LSE? clubs? nightlife? football teams? etc. or is the workload just toooo mahousive!

dont get me wrong, people have social lives here

but its not the kind of people I hang out with

if you think you're a hollister pretty boy and happen to like slim fits or skinny jeans with other nonmasculine forms of clothing then by all means you will have fun clubbing with these people and getting laid zero times a term.
Reply 6
lmao defuzion, I fortunately don't think i am a hollister pretty boy and happen to like slim fits or skinny jeans with other nonmasculine forms of clothing who has fun clubbing with these people and getting laid zero times a term!
But basically can LSE be slightly normal in comparison to other uni's? better than oxbridge?
Reply 7
and btw in terms of getting laid zero times a term, is that due the nature of the girls?
Reply 8
I'd go for UCL as opposed to LSE. Yes, perhaps it's slightly less 'prestigious', but it's still a damned good university (and still very much targeted by top firms for recruitment) and you will have a substantially better time, given what I've heard from LSE students (or ex-LSE students who came here for postgrad). In any case, nobody REALLY cares about 'prestige', especially if it's such a tiny gap as LSE vs. UCL, when you're actually doing your degree.
Reply 9
LSE is in the heart of London. If you want a social life, its completely up to you. Uni is what you make of it. Furthermore, LSE is better at economics.
LSE. Screw UCL! :mob:

Yes, UCL did reject me. A year ago. And I'm still not over it.
Reply 11
LSE as your doing it with Economics, thats like a win win situation, Congrats on getting in btw.

But yeah your right! Socially LSE is not as good as UCL, in terms of the type of people, atmosphere & the environment you will be in. Id say LSE academically and in terms of your career afterwards, if you feel you won't like the three years there then definitely go for UCL its just as good! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by SleepySheep
LSE. Screw UCL! :mob:

Yes, UCL did reject me. A year ago. And I'm still not over it.

what subject?
Original post by FiveandSix
what subject?

English Lit. Biggest regret of my life, it's a pile of crap.
Reply 14
If anyone here has been to LSE, are there are any accommodation blocks which aren't particularly cliquey? I am a million miles from being a racist but I don't want to be the only white guy in my block of accommodation!
If anyone here has been to LSE, are there are any accommodation blocks which aren't particularly cliquey? I am a million miles from being a racist but I don't want to be the only white guy in my block of accommodation!

Ha! Don't go to LSE then :tongue:
Reply 16

As someone who lives in London I would say that if you feel that way it's probably not the city for you seeing as it's one of the most multicultural places in the world. In the town I live, for example, white people are in a pretty small minority, from my point of view at least.
Hmm I was in a similar situation, although now have to pick LSE after rejections from my two other choices. I don't understand how it can have such a supposedly bad atmosphere/social life (well that's what I always here from TSR). I mean surely each year different applicants mean different kinds of people - how can the uni be the cause of a poor social life?
Original post by Perseverance
Hmm I was in a similar situation, although now have to pick LSE after rejections from my two other choices. I don't understand how it can have such a supposedly bad atmosphere/social life (well that's what I always here from TSR). I mean surely each year different applicants mean different kinds of people - how can the uni be the cause of a poor social life?

Because everyone that goes there is a nerdy super-genius. And nerdy super-geniuses don't tend to get out much.
Reply 19
Don't nerdy super genius' go to Oxbridge? I would have thought that LSE would be a good mixed of people globally but all I hear is that it is the most lifeless university ever. As I'm doing geography with economics, I doubt the people doing this course will be as nerdy as though doing straight economics or maths. And if I join the football team I should get some mates through that. I'm trying to be positive about it. And one of the reasons I love London is that it is multicultural, its just that is LSE tooooooo multicultural???

Quick Reply