The Student Room Group

Law from uk

Hello All,

My name is Karan, i would like to pursue law (L.L.B.) from UK. I live in India. I have little knowledge about the universities in UK in regard to their Prestige, Quality of Teaching, Job Prospects,etc.. It would be really help full if anyone could suggest Universities which would help me secure a good job. Also how much does a lawyer earn in UK. I need to know this because i would be taking a student loan and it will help me determine how i would manage the repayment if i work in the UK. These are some of the Universities that i have thought of applying on the basis of what i have read online and some research that i have been doing for the past few days.

* EAST ANGLIA UNIVERSITY

*BUCKINGHAM UNIVERSITY ( interested in their 2 year law course)

*UNIVERSITY OF WESTMINISTER

*KINGSTON UNIVERSITY

*LEICESTER UNIVERSITY

* Sheffield Hallam University

*Liverpool John Moores University

*Bangor University

*Oxford Brookes University

*Liverpool University

*Manchester University

Please let me know if these Universities are good options and my Job prospects if i graduate from any of these Universities.

Any tips or advice regarding the above topic is welcome.

Thank you

Karan. :-)
Reply 1
Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536
It might help you decide, especially if you want an advice regarding job prospects and prestige.

Then among the choices, I'd say Manchester University (huge YES), which is a really good university and maybe Leicester.
But I can't say you've picked the best ones out there...and I'm just being honest!
I mean, apart from Oxbridge, there are many other great universities for law. I must say I'm quite bewildered by your choices, because I don't see any logic to them. Could you enlighten me as to why you've selected those universities?
In my opinion, it's like saying "I want to go to Essex to do law"...I've been there and I know it was a nice uni with good teachers (and the Human Rights Center is really good) but it's not like it's the cream of the crop, no need to pretend here :colondollar:
And just so you know, Oxford Brookes University ranks under Essex University...
Reply 2
What has made you come up with this list of universities? Are you looking for something specific or are those the universities that you think match your academic profile the most?

Your list of universities isn't made up of particularly prestigious universities.

As for taking a loan, I am sure you are aware this has to be sorted in India as you will not get any help from the UK unless you meet scholarship criterias for specific universities.

And for working here after graduating, I am not at all sure if I am right on this but don't you need work permits and such?
Reply 3
Thankyou both for your prompt replies..

i understand that the choice of universities that i opted was not so good..

it would be great if you could suggest some universities. However my grades are not brilliant. Just average you can say.

Thanks a ton
Reply 4
Original post by karann_099
Thankyou both for your prompt replies..

i understand that the choice of universities that i opted was not so good..

it would be great if you could suggest some universities. However my grades are not brilliant. Just average you can say.

Thanks a ton

Hey Karan, Arbaaz here...
Ok if you grades are average then that rules out oxbridge, ucl, lse, kcl
not to worry though as there are still loads of other brilliant unis out there.
Newcastle Uni has a fantastic rep for law it is in the top 10 - grades needed are AAA
if the grades for Newcastle uni are too high then try Northumbria uni the grades are ABB and it also has a fantastic rep for law. It is not a top 10 uni but it is gorwing and offers the 4 year course that only 4 unis in the uk offer and it works out a lot cheaper that way. Professors are great, plenty of support available.
I am a law student at Northumbria University so am speaking from experience here

How much you earn depends on what sector of law you want to go into
corporate pays the most, you need to target the firms in london if you want to make the most money,
crime pays the least but is said to be very rewarding
there are tons of specialities, shipping, conveyncing i.e. the buying and selling of houses, will making, anything you are interested in.

Bear in mind before applying to do law that competition for training contracts is extremely high and this is presuming that you will want to practice in the uk as if you do then you will have to do a 2 year training course after the llb. so you do the llb then lpc then 2 year training contract so it takes 6 years to become a solicitor. However most people don't get training contracts straight away and so it will take longer then 6 years. Infact some never get a training contract so don't become solicitors, or work as a paralegals.

I would avoid against the two year course as it is looked down upon in the UK. This may change but at the moment there is a lot of stigma attached to a two year llb course.

Hope this helps and anymore questions feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks Arbaaz.

I will definitely look into the universities that you mentioned. Could you tell me if Universities like

Leeds
Reading
Kingston
Buckingham City
Sheffield
Exetor
Southhampton
and i Have Bangor as a option do you think these are any good?

Also i was planning to become a barrister not a solicitor. Will it still take me the same amount of time?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by karann_099
Thanks Arbaaz.

I will definitely look into the universities that you mentioned. Could you tell me if Universities like

Leeds
Reading
Kingston
Buckingham City
Sheffield
Exetor
Southhampton
and i Have Bangor as a option do you think these are any good?

Also i was planning to become a barrister not a solicitor. Will it still take me the same amount of time?

no problem karan,
kingston, buckingham city, and bangor are very poor unis if you want to be a barrister. they have a very poor reputation. Leeds is good. the rest I haven't heard much about.
if you want to be a barrister after the 3 year llb degree you go the bvc which is one year and then pupilage which is 12 months in total i think. most people become solicitors as you need a 1st at undergrad to stand a chance at getting the pupilage. plus during the pupilage years the pay is pretty poor compared to a trainee solicitor. the main advantage that a barriaster has over a solicitor is the prestige.
best unis for any career in law are as follows imo,
oxbridge ie. oxford and cambridge
then the following : ucl, kcl, lse, warwick, newcastle,
then northumbria, leeds, manchester, liverpool
then sunderland, leeds met, sheffield hallam, york st johns
then kingston, buckingham city, and bangor

there are other unis as well, just pm me for a specific one.
usually if you look at the entry requirements it will tell you how good they the uni is. a uni that asks for aaa like newcastle will be a very good uni compared to bangor uni which asks for less. so check the entry requirements out.

hope this helps!
Reply 7
arbaaz,

thanks alot for your help. really helped me out. :-)

thanks again
Reply 8
Hi Arbaaz,
I am also in the same boat as Karan.
planning to do a 2 yr llb at buckingham university.
Need some advice, if you may....
what's the overall rating for BU in Uk?

Quick Reply

Latest