The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Oh right! Eeeeek, good luck then :hugs: If mentor thinks it's fine then it should be hopefully, he might have done this kind of thing before. When do you find out?

Thanks :smile: I'm drinking water to see if it helps :laugh:

I will start revision tomorrow, I will.

Not sure, hopefully it will be soon.

How did you sleep? :hugs:
Good luck with the revision!
Original post by Webberino
Not sure, hopefully it will be soon.

How did you sleep? :hugs:
Good luck with the revision!

As do I!

Surprisingly well, thanks. Woke up in the most bizarre way though. I'm not sure if my body jerked and my head rubbed against my pillow which sounded like a scream or if I heard a scream in my head which made my body jerk which woke me up.
But but but, I got out of bed before 11! That's an achievement for me :laugh:
Thanks. Already marked one paper and I'm so close to the next grade boundary so I'm going to another paper and see what happens.

Hope you have a good day :hugs:
Reply 7022
Feeling pretty angry right now.... It doesnt matter how much I try and help my class mates they just take me for a ride.... They all know I have been battling panic attacks and other stuff... I just repaired one of their laptops so they wouldnt have to pay HUGE costs...and what do I find out... they have all been going out and about over easter break.... Gee... guess I wasnt worth their precious time... gits!!!!
Hey I was just wondering if any of you could offer me any advice as to what i should do about how i am feeling
Ive always been very emotional the slightest thing would upset me and i took everything to heart, however for the past 2 years i have never felt happy i dont know why i have everything in my liife going for me, ive done well in my exams, im going to uni this year but yet i just cant be happy. The past 10 months have been a living hell my ex boyfriend cheated on me and left me and it has seemed to be a catalyst for me constantly crying, every night im in hysterics sobbing, i feel like their is no point in anything at first i thought it was because of him but now i think its nothing to do with him im just depressed, i cant eat or sleep i detest myself and my body, nobody seems to understand. I dont go out I have lost constact with all my friends because i just couldnt be bothered too see them or ttext them back not because i had anything else on just as i didnt feel there was any point I have it in my head that everybody is out to hurt me or atleast make me fail in life, the past 4 months this has got so bad that im always cryng my mums told me to snap out of it and i wish i could i hate feeling like this, ive tried to deal with it on my own as i know there is a astigma attached to depressiona dn sometimes i think maybe im just hormonal or something but itsgetting worse nnot better, ive booked an appointment at my gp today is that the right thing to do ? am i maybe depressed or am i just an over emotional person?thaknyou

Hello miss anon poster 99 :wavey:

Firstly, it's good that you booked an appointment to the GP. This doesn't mean that you'll be given medication straight away or labelled as a nut or anything like that. It'll just be a chat where you'll probably be asked to fill in a quick form as well so the GP can look if you're in any risk so I'd always recommend it. It's nothing to worry about!

You might need medication, but nothing works unless you have a bit of will power as well. Depression's not the sort of thing you can just 'cheer up' from or 'man up' from etc. It's very difficult, but it can be beaten. One of the key points is to accept that this is who you are. I'm very emotional too, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. For instance, I'd rather laugh in funny parts in films and cry in sad parts in films than sit there emotionless. It can also make you more passionate too. The key is to try to find postitives in things that are ultimately part of your character.

Remember that you are in control of yourself. This may sound strange, but sometimes you can use your depression to create things. Some of the most creative people in the world have suffered from depression, so maybe try drawing, writing, painting, music so forth when depressed. The important thing is to realise when you're getting worse and do something about it.

I can understand because I've been in a similar way. Your ex sounds like a mong, but don't let it affect you too much. Sometimes when depressed you scavange for reasons that you could be sad and end up thinking negative thoughts too much. Again, the key is to be aware of when your mind is doing this, and thus distract yourself. Everyone's different, you're unique so only you can know what works best.

Whatever you do, DON'T stay in the same place isolating yourself and staring into space. You've got to keep active. If you're in uni, join a sports society. I'm not a sporty person, but I found myself joining a random boxing club by myself. Feel brave. You may not want to speak to anyone, but this is the time when you need your friends the most. So text them and go out. Go to an arcade, cinema, swimming pool, anything.

In terms of eating, this is probably panicking your parents the most. It is a symptom of your depression, so once you get a bit better, you'll find yourself eating again. I found that when I ate with friends, I was a lot better. Avoid high pressure eating enviroments for a while. So perhaps eat in front of the TV whilst watching a comedy instead? Eat light wholesome foods that'll keep you going for a long time and try not to think about it so much. Like I said, it'll fix itself. The GP will also check for any underlying health problems and give you further tips.

The stigma of depression is getting weaker and weaker. Remember that 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem in the course of a year and the majority of that is anxiety and depression- so it's much more common than you think. Every human being's unique, so toss your hair back girl and remember that you're your own person!

Good luck!! :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by warp2125
Feeling pretty angry right now.... It doesnt matter how much I try and help my class mates they just take me for a ride.... They all know I have been battling panic attacks and other stuff... I just repaired one of their laptops so they wouldnt have to pay HUGE costs...and what do I find out... they have all been going out and about over easter break.... Gee... guess I wasnt worth their precious time... gits!!!!

people are ****! no matter how much we go out of our way to help them or make them feel better at the end of the day they never seem to give a **** at all! Completely know how you feel, don't understand why people can't care as much as I do or just be less selfish! :hugs: Hope you're alright! (IRL this is not on here, people on here can be very lovely and unselfish)
Reply 7025
Original post by Phoenix07
people are ****! no matter how much we go out of our way to help them or make them feel better at the end of the day they never seem to give a **** at all! Completely know how you feel, don't understand why people can't care as much as I do or just be less selfish! :hugs: Hope you're alright! (IRL this is not on here, people on here can be very lovely and unselfish)

Hey, thanks

Yea I will be ok.... it just really grinds my gears that people think that I dont feel anything. I never ask for anything in return... I help because I can... would just be nice to have someone think of me for a change.....pfft... bit of a lost cause I guess.:frown:
Hey, thanks

Yea I will be ok.... it just really grinds my gears that people think that I dont feel anything. I never ask for anything in return... I help because I can... would just be nice to have someone think of me for a change.....pfft... bit of a lost cause I guess.:frown:

Yer I know what you mean, would be just nice to have other people think of you for once, spend my life putting other people first and stuff .... would just be nice to know someone else cares every now and again! I have kind of given up though, people I know just don't seem to have it in them to care .... suppose it is part of the issue with pretending not to care all the time, people start to think you actually don't care :frown: :hugs:
Reply 7027
Yer I know what you mean, would be just nice to have other people think of you for once, spend my life putting other people first and stuff .... would just be nice to know someone else cares every now and again! I have kind of given up though, people I know just don't seem to have it in them to care .... suppose it is part of the issue with pretending not to care all the time, people start to think you actually don't care :frown: :hugs:

Thanks.. sorry for the rant. :hugs:
Thanks.. sorry for the rant. :hugs:

no worries here anytime you need to rant ... I have no life at the moment :tongue: :hugs:
I'm getting out of hospital today :biggrin: However still feel very ****, I just can't seem to stop worrying about certain things, especially abandonment. Just seems like it is imminent.
Original post by bullettheory
I'm getting out of hospital today :biggrin: However still feel very ****, I just can't seem to stop worrying about certain things, especially abandonment. Just seems like it is imminent.

hey, hope you're alright! Glad you're coming out of hospital but keep yourself safe :smile: worrying about abandonment takes up most of my life so can't really offer any helpful advice, just hugs :hugs:
Does anyone else here not have many friends at all? I think I have maybe, one good friend and that's it. It makes me feel unlikeable? I don't think I've had problems making friends in the past, but I've lost contact with them, because I don't have facebook anymore... Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make some new friends? :redface:
I'm currently a first year in university. My university expects all returning students to move out from halls into private accommodation for year 2 and 3. However, I'd like to stay in halls but only returning students with health problems or medical conditions are allowed to stay. Would severe anxiety/depression make a strong case for my housing application or should I not bother with it?
I've got my first appointment with a GP tomorrow, any advice on how to get the most out of it?
Reply 7034
worrying about abandonment takes up most of my life

Hey, why the worry?... :curious:
Original post by soutioirsim
I've got my first appointment with a GP tomorrow, any advice on how to get the most out of it?

Firstly, remember that GPs see people with depression at least once a day, no need to be nervous.

Secondly, write down a list of things you want to say such as symptoms or how it's affecting your functioning. Either take the list in with you to give to them or just use it as a means of knowing what you're going to say.

It will be fine and is a step in the direction of getting things sorted :smile:
Hey, why the worry?... :curious:

well vicious cycle really .... already been abandoned by most people in my life, just got my bf left now so spend my time panicking about losing him, which pisses him off, so we just spiral down from there really! Worrying is the one thing I am best at :tongue:

Dw I am aware I sound a bit pathetic :tongue: :colondollar: I wish these things didn't bother me, I wish I could live without having to panic about everything, I am just so sick and tired of being me! sorry
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Noodlzzz
Firstly, remember that GPs see people with depression at least once a day, no need to be nervous.

Secondly, write down a list of things you want to say such as symptoms or how it's affecting your functioning. Either take the list in with you to give to them or just use it as a means of knowing what you're going to say.

It will be fine and is a step in the direction of getting things sorted :smile:

Thanks :smile: Also, this might sound silly but can you get in trouble for admitting taking any recreational drugs to the doctor? :colondollar:
As do I!

Surprisingly well, thanks. Woke up in the most bizarre way though. I'm not sure if my body jerked and my head rubbed against my pillow which sounded like a scream or if I heard a scream in my head which made my body jerk which woke me up.
But but but, I got out of bed before 11! That's an achievement for me :laugh:
Thanks. Already marked one paper and I'm so close to the next grade boundary so I'm going to another paper and see what happens.

Hope you have a good day :hugs:

That's good. Rather peculiar indeed :tongue:
Wooo! Productivity! Always good! Good luck with the next paper, hope you get the next grade! :hugs:

Was good thanks, went to the meet but didn't really say anything and was the first to leave. :redface:
But lovely people :h:
In the mean time my mum's 72 year old friend came over for a cup of tea and tripped and broke his nose. :dong:
He seems to be ok though, my brother was describing what happened and apparently my mum got rather panicked.
Original post by soutioirsim
Thanks :smile: Also, this might sound silly but can you get in trouble for admitting taking any recreational drugs to the doctor? :colondollar:

Not legally, no. But depending on the kind of GP you get they may lecture you on the perils of drugs or put it down to being a student and not care and everything in between.