The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7060
Feeling good today :smile:. And it seems my sleep pattern is getting back to normal - haven't slept yet today :smile:. Just need to be able to have the motivation to do revision and homework :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I was just wondering if any of you could offer me any advice as to what i should do about how i am feeling
Ive always been very emotional the slightest thing would upset me and i took everything to heart, however for the past 2 years i have never felt happy i dont know why i have everything in my liife going for me, ive done well in my exams, im going to uni this year but yet i just cant be happy. The past 10 months have been a living hell my ex boyfriend cheated on me and left me and it has seemed to be a catalyst for me constantly crying, every night im in hysterics sobbing, i feel like their is no point in anything at first i thought it was because of him but now i think its nothing to do with him im just depressed, i cant eat or sleep i detest myself and my body, nobody seems to understand. I dont go out I have lost constact with all my friends because i just couldnt be bothered too see them or ttext them back not because i had anything else on just as i didnt feel there was any point I have it in my head that everybody is out to hurt me or atleast make me fail in life, the past 4 months this has got so bad that im always cryng my mums told me to snap out of it and i wish i could i hate feeling like this, ive tried to deal with it on my own as i know there is a astigma attached to depressiona dn sometimes i think maybe im just hormonal or something but itsgetting worse nnot better, ive booked an appointment at my gp today is that the right thing to do ? am i maybe depressed or am i just an over emotional person?thaknyou

Hey, sorry to hear things have been so awful. I've seen that people have posted some really good advice on the thread already so I won't go through everything again! Just to say that going to see a GP is a good idea.

Sounds like you are a person who feels things intensely anyway. That's part of your personality and you will probably always be someone who feels and expresses their emotions easily. There is nothing wrong with that at all. However what you are describing does sound as if its not just about being emotional but about feeling overwhelmed by things and depressed. The fact you can't sleep well for instance and are crying so much are signs that you may not be totally well. It isn't surprising given what happened with your boyfriend. Being betrayed is a horrible thing and the feelings of loss are sometimes too much to bear. I really feel for you. It sounds as though you were maybe a little depressed even before this but the stress of this happening may have tipped you over.

It will get better and there will be brighter days ahead. You can't just 'snap out of it' though by willing yourself. However helpful people think they are being sometimes advice like 'snap out of it' just isn't applicable. You need to get some help which it sounds like you are thinking of doing. Talking to people on this thread and seeing your GP are really good starts. For one thing the GP can check to see if there is anything physical that is making it harder for you to cope such as a gland that is not working properly. If there is nothing like this then he may prescribe a brief course of medication to help you sleep better or anti depressants which once they have worked out the right one for you can be incredibly effective. It does take about three weeks for them to work fully though so don't worry if you don't suddenly feel great!

You could also think about contacting a counsellor through your school/college or the GP can put you on the waiting list to see one. It might help just to be able to tell someone in confidence how you are feeling and get a little support.

Big Hug
:smile:
Original post by warp2125
Cough, cough >>>> http://www.4shared.com/

Just type in CBT in the search bar. I tried the CBT for dummies.... dont laugh..lol.. but tis easy to read and in clear english...last thing you need when your not feeling too good is to have some ponce spout nonsense at you.

Haha thanks :smile: Nah I have tried a few of the .... for dummies books and they are easy to read and stuff so definitely think one of them would be good for something like this :smile: I will have a look through and see what I can find! Thanks for the help though really appreciate it :hugs:
Original post by bullettheory
:hugs: Anything happened?

My thoughts are pretty negative and going at 1000mph. Don't think being alone helps either. Been having a rough time at work. Just can't see the way beyond this. Beating myself up too because next year will be worse (more hours and less pay)
Original post by Phoenix07
Owh dear, although that is slightly funny ... probably wasn't at the time though!

I do try and convince myself that what I am panicking about isn't real and its just me being silly but my body doesn't seem to listen to my brain telling it that! It does just get rather exhausting really constantly having to panic about everything! and I swear the anti-depressants make the depression better but the anxiety so much worse!

anyway ... are you doing ok then? :smile:

You are probably right in your suspicions regarding the effect of the anti-depressants on anxiety. It has been documented that this can happen and there is a list of anti-depressants recommended for treating both conditions at once. However everyone responds a little differently. As depression is more dangerous than anxiety in terms of suicidal risk they go for treating this as the most urgent issue. Once your depression seems more under control though you could discuss the possibility of additional or alternative medication to address the anxiety too. People get so relieved at not being depressed that they put up with the anxiety side and, as you say, get worn out all the time as well as maybe restricted in things they do. So its well worth pushing for this to be addressed properly too. CBT is usually an effective therapy for anxiety.

Good luck
Original post by sunfowers01
My thoughts are pretty negative and going at 1000mph. Don't think being alone helps either. Been having a rough time at work. Just can't see the way beyond this. Beating myself up too because next year will be worse (more hours and less pay)

Yeah I know that feeling. Is there anyone around atm? Sometimes what I find that helps is trying to write down any emotions you can notice and then try and write why you feel like that. It just makes more aware of whats going on and then sometimes it feels less overwhelming.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks! I actually got the grade below what I originally got. :sigh: It got to the point where I was just doing them for the sake of doing them so I left them. Over the past week or so I've done 4 biology papers and got 22/60 on all of them :eek: The grade boundaries change each yeah so they're at different grades depending on the difficulty of the paper, but I'm sure you know that :tongue:

There's a part time job going at my local Schuh and I don't know if I should apply. I think I should apply because it will give me something to do over summer and the place is so busy that I won't have time to wallow in self-pity. But then I think the place is so busy that I feel uncomfortable when I'm there as a customer, I'd have to spontaneously talk to people and make conversation which I'm awful at, what if I'm having a particularly tearful day and burst out crying if I get too stressed and nurture lady thinks half the reason I feel the way I do is because I didn't deal with problems when they happened so what if working would be just doing that again as it could distract me from everything that's going on. Not sure what to do.

But at least you went, better than not going whatsoever :smile:
Oh dear! Glad he seems ok, hope it heals quickish :hugs:

Ah sure it will get better in time. :hugs:

Hmm quite a dilemma. Personally I would say if you think you will feel uncomfortable it would be best not apply and to just try to focus on your health. Obviously it's hard though if not having anything to do over the summer will make you feel worse, but you could maybe try to find some hobbies. Guess you just have to do what feels best for you. :hugs:

Yeah I suppose not chickening out altogether was an accomplishment. :tongue:
With some rest he should be fine, my mum was much more worked up than him. :lol:
Haven't done any work today. :ashamed:
Reply 7067
Don't know what's starting to happen to my mood. Why does this always get to me? :sad:
Original post by avhhs
Don't know what's starting to happen to my mood. Why does this always get to me? :sad:

:hugs: whats up huni?
Reply 7069
:hugs: whats up huni?

Just the usual feeling alone and thinking my life is crap.

Earlier my dad said that my decrease in religious beliefs over the last few months is due to someone "brainwashing" me rather than it being my own choice. I don't care about it. I just want to live life :smile:. I'm sure deep down he is in denial about my current state. He knows what he did. He completely isolated me. In fact today was the first time ever that I have been out with people other than family. It was also the first time I've been inside a pub :tongue:.

End of rant :biggrin:

How are you feeling? :smile: :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by avhhs
Just the usual feeling alone and thinking my life is crap.

Earlier my dad said that my decrease in religious beliefs over the last few months is due to someone "brainwashing" me rather than it being my own choice. I don't care about it. I just want to live life :smile:. I'm sure deep down he is in denial about my current state. He knows what he did. He completely isolated me. In fact today was the first time ever that I have been out with people other than family. It was also the first time I've been inside a pub :tongue:.

End of rant :biggrin:

How are you feeling? :smile: :hugs:

I think it is sometimes difficult for parents to realise that they might actually have done something wrong! and he might just be having real difficulties understanding your movement away from religion. I am one of the least religious people but I know how different it would be for my family if one of my sisters became religious so it might just be difficult for him to come to terms with. But it doesn't give him the right to make you feel **** about it :hugs: always here if you need a rant you know that!

anxiety is really quite bad at the moment which is pretty annoying to be honest :frown: you managed to get any sleep yet?
Reply 7071
I think it is sometimes difficult for parents to realise that they might actually have done something wrong! and he might just be having real difficulties understanding your movement away from religion. I am one of the least religious people but I know how different it would be for my family if one of my sisters became religious so it might just be difficult for him to come to terms with. But it doesn't give him the right to make you feel **** about it :hugs: always here if you need a rant you know that!

anxiety is really quite bad at the moment which is pretty annoying to be honest :frown: you managed to get any sleep yet?

Yeah. Also as usual looking at Facebook and seeing that everyone has some sort of a social life :sadnod:. They are always going out somewhere, especially to the cinema. Also my best friend hasn't spoken to me in 6 days, and I have no other friends in real life. I'm sure that she is having a lot of fun despite claiming to revise. From now on I'm not going to call her my best friend. Don't know why my dad is so against having a social life.

Oh no :hugs:. I haven't had any sleep yet. Got to resist looking at this :tongue:.
Original post by avhhs
Yeah. Also as usual looking at Facebook and seeing that everyone has some sort of a social life :sadnod:. They are always going out somewhere, especially to the cinema. Also my best friend hasn't spoken to me in 6 days, and I have no other friends in real life. I'm sure that she is having a lot of fun despite claiming to revise. From now on I'm not going to call her my best friend. Don't know why my dad is so against having a social life.

Oh no :hugs:. I haven't had any sleep yet. Got to resist looking at this :tongue:.

Yer I do understand how much it can bring you down, I have no social life either! You just have to keep thinking of the positive, at least you went out and had a fun day with a group of people today :smile: sucks you haven't spoken to your friend in a while though hun, but you'll be back in college again in no time :tongue:

But yup you should go sleep, TSR will stop trying to distract you now :tongue: :hugs:
Reply 7073
Yer I do understand how much it can bring you down, I have no social life either! You just have to keep thinking of the positive, at least you went out and had a fun day with a group of people today :smile: sucks you haven't spoken to your friend in a while though hun, but you'll be back in college again in no time :tongue:

But yup you should go sleep, TSR will stop trying to distract you now :tongue: :hugs:

I know :hugs:. Just can't forget the negative parts of my life. Everyone else only seems to have good times.

Hopefully :tongue: :biggrin: :yep:
Original post by Webberino

Was good thanks, went to the meet but didn't really say anything and was the first to leave. :redface:
But lovely people :h:

:hugs: Don't worry about it, it's just really awesome that you guys all came.
Original post by avhhs
I know :hugs:. Just can't forget the negative parts of my life. Everyone else only seems to have good times.

Hopefully :tongue: :biggrin: :yep:

nah you aren't expected to just forget about all the negative parts hun, just got to try and focus on the positive parts instead! But believe me I don't follow these words of advice :tongue: It is difficult to see the positives most of the time!

:hugs:
Hey guys, I'm half cut (drunk..sorry) so Im formally introducing myself before I don't have the balls to do it tomorrow... :p:

I'm seeing a doctor in the morning as my parents and uni tutor think im suffering from depression.. I saw my doctor a while back and said I was feeling a bit blue and the like, but I was so convinced it was because a month before I'd started on the pill that I refused to listen to my doctor when she said maybe it's depression and I was so categorically convinced it was my hormones and pms, that I didn't get any help...

A few months later and here I am... Feeling worse than ever, drinking myself silly to give me any form of confidence and not understanding why I feel so crap and having no good reason to..that I've finally given into my 'denial' and I'm seeing a doctor in the morning.. (I hope I go through with it because I saw a dr a coupla weeks back and bailed and gave a silly excuse as to why I was there because I didn't dare explain how I really felt for fear I was wasting their time...)

Dani x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dani_88
Hey guys, I'm half cut (drunk..sorry) so Im formally introducing myself before I don't have the balls to do it tomorrow... :p:

I'm seeing a doctor in the morning as my parents and uni tutor think im suffering from depression.. I saw my doctor a while back and said I was feeling a bit blue and the like, but I was so convinced it was because a month before I'd started on the pill that I refused to listen to my doctor when she said maybe it's depression and I was so categorically convinced it was my hormones and pms, that I didn't get any help...

A few months later and here I am... Feeling worse than ever, drinking myself silly to give me any form of confidence and not understanding why I feel so crap and having no good reason to..that I've finally given into my 'denial' and I'm seeing a doctor in the morning.. (I hope I go through with it because I saw a dr a coupla weeks back and bailed and gave a silly excuse as to why I was there because I didn't dare explain how I really felt for fear I was wasting their time...)

Dani x

Hiya!

Good luck tomorrow. I know its hard to talk about but it really will be good to get some support and maybe medication. Its perfectly possible for depression to be triggered by PMS and hormones too and some people do respond oddly to the pill as well... it doesn't make it any the less depression though. Its all the same stuff whatever triggers it though of course treatments could vary.

Try writing down some of the things you want to tell the doctor. If all else fails just hand him the paper!

You're not wasting anyone's time. Depression is a real illness just like any other and its the doctor's job to treat people! He sees people with all kind of problems including depression and anxiety all the time. He/she will just be pleased you've managed to talk to them about it.

Big Hug
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dani_88

Dani x

Hey, welcome to the society. Well done just for reaching out here :hugs:

You won't be wasting their time. GP's see people with depression an awful lot of the time, they're very used to it. Hopefullly after this appointment you can start to do what's necessary to get you feeling better.
Reply 7079
Argh feeling so tired despite sleeping well at night :frown:

Latest