The Student Room Group

Ways of improving my self/application for when I apply?

So I was just wondering how I could improve on my chances of getting into school and if I had a good shot as it it now?

Gcse's (went to ****ty new school where no one got a*'s but it did get a bit better by time I left (75% 5 A*-C GCSE's)):

7 A* in (School only offered 6-8 GCSES - I got 8, is that enough, because I thought one school takes your 9 best GCSE's and turns them into points?)
Math
Statistics
Double Science
English Language
English Literature
History
1 A in
Media ! How does studentroom think media is an easy course haha was my worst subject (probably something to do with my school and 2nd highest grade being a C or a D lol).

Also got a Dist and Dist* but they're Btecs so they don't matter. Our school used those to raise the pass rates since they are so horrible lol. School was baddd, I was only one to ever get a* in science, first to get a* in math, first year to get a* in history/english/lit and first a* in statistics ever in that school lol (been open 3-4 years at the time). So not a very good school tbh, but I came to England straight into year 10 so I didn't really know anything about English schools.

A levels:
Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Math
Probably predicted 4 A*

Work Experience:
-2 weeks mornings (9am - 1pm) (2010 christmas, 2011 easter - 1 week each time)
-3 weeks full day (8:30 am - 5:15pm) (1 week in 2011 summer and 2 weeks in 2012 March)
-In these weeks I've seen: Private work, NHS work, Orthodontics, also saw a new dentist doing his vocational training. I've shadowed a total of 10 dentists and a few more hygienists/therapists.

Extra Curricular:
-Duke of Edinborough silver (doing now)
-Started guitar early year 12
-Do some model building stuff (like putting model cars together - will probably bring to interview if I get)
-Bmxing for 5 years - spend a large chunk of my life doing that - how would this fare, should I put on my personal statement, what if they ask me to stop for dentistry (because of dangerous sport for hands etc... plenty friends recently breaking wrists/backs making me a bit nervous haha)
-Lift weights as a hobby
-Volunteer at British Heart Foundation furniture shop since January 2012.
-Fluent in Polish (although not born there).

Extra: Might do 1-2 days at a ceramics lab to see crowns and stuff.

UKCAT: I predict I'll probably get a competitive score as I'm good in that type of thing and I'll prepare for it, so hopefully 700+.

Is there any other things I can do to improve my chances of getting into school?

Also, I was wondering how much of a shot I had at dentistry with my current qualities/stats? Like, as in am I good enough to probably get in first year or low chance or very high chance, etc?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
As is stands your prospective application looks fine.
Reply 2
^ This i doubt you'll have any problems if you meet those predicted grades.
Reply 3
Thanks guys, I've just felt a bit guilty being lazy recently as before I've always spent my holidays getting work experience. You sure I don't have to do anymore extracurricular or anything?

Thanks!

By the way, why'd I get thumbs down here always? I'm negative reputation now what's that for do people randomly thumbs down or what?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Youll be fine, those interviews are gonna decide everything
Reply 5
Original post by Domxmb

UKCAT: I predict I'll probably get a competitive score as I'm good in that type of thing and I'll prepare for it, so hopefully 700+.

It's very hard to predict how well or bad you will do in the UKCAT.
Reply 6
Original post by bertstare
Youll be fine, those interviews are gonna decide everything

Would it be easy for me to blow it if I prepare or should I atleast get 1 offer? Would it be really really hard to get 3-4 offers?

edit: why do I keep getting thumbed down lol
Reply 7
Original post by Domxmb
Would it be easy for me to blow it if I prepare or should I atleast get 1 offer? Would it be really really hard to get 3-4 offers?

Try and get 4 interviews. That should be your number one priority, since you'll pretty much definitely get in somewhere unless you literally cannot form a sentence. So apply to uni's based on your strengths, getting a high UKCAT is probably the most useful tool in guaranteeing an interview, so make sure you ace it... This year I got all 4 interviews, bombed two of them but managed to get the other two, so you should be fine that way
Reply 8
Original post by Domxmb

Couldn't say for sure. At a guess too much own trumpet blowing / possibly apparent lack of humility?! Given your grades are going to be that good and you have that much work exp you only needed to ask about extra curricular really.

Regarding that, voluntary work is essential and more credit will be given if it actually demonstrates a caring nature - i.e. working with elderly, ill, disadvantaged etc.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, hopefully I can get more than one offer
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Domxmb
Thanks guys, hopefully I can get 2-4 offers.

Would you not just be happy with 1 offer? Most would be. My guess would be that you are getting thumbed down because of the way you're posting. It comes across as a bit arrogant and as such people take exception to it. However, i'm sure you don't intend that, it's probably just a result of an unfortunate posting style. On the other hand it might not be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Kartace
Would you not just be happy with 1 offer? Most would be. My guess would be that you are getting thumbed down because of the way you're posting. It comes across as a bit arrogant and as such people take exception to it. However, i'm sure you don't intend that, it's probably just a result of an unfortunate posting style. On the other hand it might not be.

Sorry I guess, I'm not arrogant really at all I'm very humble that I have a chance to get into dentistry as it is my dream career, seems quite pathetic I'm getting thumbs down lol, probably will get thumbs down just for saying that. I want multiple offers so I can go depending on where is best for me in that particular time (depends on parents and other stuff).

Quick Reply

Latest