The Student Room Group

Self-teaching an A-level in Maths in a gap year

Has anyone tried it? Was it difficult, how long did it take, how well did it go? Interested in doing this myself as a 'back up' if I don't get into the universities that I want to with the subjects I will take - but I don't like Maths enough (compared to the other subjects) to imagine I'd do well/enjoy it while doing another 3 subjects. And it's fairly easy to do in a gap year, with no coursework.
Reply 1
Doing it right now. Started in Feb and will be giving the entire AS+A2 in May. So far its been ok. 4 months for me is ages....I cant imagine having an entire year to do the subject. As for how difficult it is - The pure or core math modules take alot of practice. The applied modules like stats in comparison are easier.
Reply 2
Nice! How many hours a day would you say you're working?

Also, when applying to universities, will they be okay with you saying you're doing an extra A-level yourself (and perhaps give you an offer based on how that goes)? Especially for subjects that require Maths.
Reply 3
Original post by dan673
Nice! How many hours a day would you say you're working?

Also, when applying to universities, will they be okay with you saying you're doing an extra A-level yourself (and perhaps give you an offer based on how that goes)? Especially for subjects that require Maths.

2 hours a day approx. I usually dont go hour wise. I mostly aim to complete two past papers per day. The applied modules like stats finish very fast in lesser then an hour sometimes. The pure math however sometimes takes near 3 hours. It takes this long because I solve each question instead of working it out in my mind or looking at the ms. The practice you get it from doing it this way really helps.

As for applications, they will be fine with you doing it yourself. I dont expect them to give you any lower offer for it though. Your case though is quite different as you will be doing normal math in a gap year. I think most people do something like Further Math in a gap year. Keep in mind that they have no reason to think you may be any good at math to meet your offer as you dont have any proof like AS results to give them. This might work against you if they have to choose between other applicants. I suppose though that if your other A Level results are good they will assume that you will be good at Math aswell.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply