The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
wow some people have rubbish teachers!

also some schools have really rubbish pupils, no respect from some people!
(edited 11 years ago)
Whilst I disagree that all teachers are worthy of respect (most are, but the awful ones who do very little teaching and actually bully their students will never get any respect from me), I don't think standing up when they enter shows respect, I think it shows inferiority - it's archaic and horrible. Plus, what about disabled people? Will they get in trouble for not standing up if a teacher enters the room?

As someone else said, respect is listening and behaving.
We do in Spanish but that's the only class. Our teacher says 'levantados por favor' and we stand up, and then she says 'sentados por favor' and we sit down. It's quite straight forward really, and since our teacher is lovely we do it without any argues anything. Also, people would think it's very formal but it's really not when we have to (:
We had to in primary school, and the beginning of high school, but then lads starting messing around and saluting, and on the odd occasion refusing to sit down until the national anthem had been sung, replacing the word "Queen" with "teacher" or "principle" (no word of a lie) so they decided it was easier not to bother.
We still do it at my school to every teacher.
Reply 65
Original post by Pandabär
We did it up until about year 8...after that the teachers gave up.

hahha!
Reply 66
We only have to do it at assembly, for the principal. I don't really mind it.
Reply 67
Saying "please" and "thank you" were the only things I expect of others. Respect is a strange concept, I think you need to earn it, if you have the respect of others then their attitudes to you will be good. Not every teacher is a good teacher so why implement a protocol for them.
I do it whenever a teacher comes into the room. It's just habit I suppose! But, I think it also shows respect!
Reply 69
I think that it is important that pupils stand up when a teacher comes into the classroom. Imagine, a class full of unruly, noisy kids fresh from lunch break, being instantly silenced by the entrance of their teacher. This is a good thing in my book.

It's not the actual standing up that is the important thing - it is the fact that they are being made to do something when a teacher comes in the room. It is a sign of respect and obedience more than anything else. How can respect and obedience in school be seen as bad thing. Isn't that development of these attributes one of the reasons that we go to school in the first place?
Reply 70
gg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
I had done this 'standing up' when the teachers walked in for the last 10 years of my education life. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME! And some more, when we greet the teachers,we have to do it in a cheery and chorus mode or else we'll be forced to repeat till the teachers are satisfied with our greetings.:cool:
Original post by lil-mazie
My teacher makes us say Good morning in my first lesson and she tells us to say 'and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!' I pretty sure standing up for 2 measly seconds won't kill you on the other hand it depends on the teacher i.e. if there nice or you hate them but I would never do it for the head she's such a lazy ****

Truman Show was on Film4 a few days ago. :tongue:

My school never stood up when a teacher entered the room, neither did they care. I can't really see how it would make much of a difference in the respect given to a teacher.
Reply 73
It is archaic. If you tried to introduce this at my school you would of created more problems than you was trying to solve.
Reply 74
A lot of people seem to think that obedience towards teachers is submissive. There's a fight for authority with teachers which I just don't think is right. There's no need for pupils to be submissive, but teachers are in a higher position than pupils, and so they should be. kids need to be told what to do. sure, teachers need to be respectful and responsible but this whole power struggle seems ridiculous to me.
We did that at my high school. You started the lesson stood behind your chair and waited until the teacher said you could sit down. You would stand up in silence if another teacher entered during the lesson [although they would usually tell you to sit down straight away or the usual 'don't bother getting up girls' lol]. You would then end the lesson stood behind your chairs again until the teacher dismissed you.

It was never a problem. It was just a structured start and end. :smile:

I am in a year 2/3 class now, so we obviously don't do anything like that. It would cause a lot of disruption. But, at secondary level, I don't see why it should be a problem. :smile:
I think that happened on my school until GCSE. I can't remember very clearly, but it definitely was the case when the headmistress came in.
Reply 77
We had to do this at my secondary school. It wasn't disruptive, it was a simple sign of respect. It certainly didn't do anyone any harm.

I now work at a school, and couldn't imagine this happening.
You dont need to stand to show respect, when mutual respect is established between pupil and teacher then it is understandable, but i dont understand why we should stand to show respect when most teachers treat us like second class citizens. Well at my old school anyway.
Sure, but it won't work. I think most chatter can be attributed to unstimulating, poorly presented material and bad teaching styles.

Latest

Trending

Trending