The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Postgrad social life

Hi Sheffield-ers,
I just received an offer for an MA in magazine journalism, very tempted to accept but wanted to ask how fun the university is for postgraduates? I'm only 21 and straight out of my BA, so I want to be somewhere fun. I'm really interested in sports and societies, and I'd like to live somewhere social, so anyone with any help, it'd be appreciated :smile:
You'll find there is plenty to do here! :smile: I'm starting an MA in International Studies in september but I've been involved with the union and the uni generally since last october. Plenty of societies, clubs etc. It was voted best students union recently... and deserved it! I know from some of my postgrad friends that they organise trips etc. so there is extra things going on besides societies and whatnot. :smile: There are a whole bunch of groups and socieites only for postgrads too. Plus, the Sheffield social life is pretty good too. All my postgrad friends love it so you should too! :wink:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by B.C.De.Souza
You'll find there is plenty to do here! :smile: I'm starting an MA in International Studies in september but I've been involved with the union and the uni generally since last october. Plenty of societies, clubs etc. It was voted best students union recently... and deserved it! I know from some of my postgrad friends that they organise trips etc. so there is extra things going on besides societies and whatnot. :smile: There are a whole bunch of groups and socieites only for postgrads too. Plus, the Sheffield social life is pretty good too. All my postgrad friends love it so you should too! :wink:

Thanks for the reply! Put me at ease slightly, I know some postgrads at Warwick think the place is super boring, so good to hear Sheffield sounds fun :smile:
Reply 3
Hi quick question,

what would you recommend for a postgraduate - where to live?
Are Grad and Postgrads usually live together or how does this work?

Thanks mate
Original post by sneakstar
Hi quick question,

what would you recommend for a postgraduate - where to live?
Are Grad and Postgrads usually live together or how does this work?

Thanks mate

There is some specific uni owned accommodation for postgrads to live in, such as St George's church. Most of the people I know though live in private places such Opal or Omnia owned flats or private houses. It's worth checking those two names out. :smile:
This is exactly what I wanted to know too! I'll be straight out of my BA (Hons), so I'm hoping the social life is just as good for postgraduates! When I looked around Sheffield for undergraduate, it looked a pretty cool university to go to!

I think I'll join the official Postgrad society, then see what other societies are available.

Does anyone know where they are going to stay yet?
Original post by Chloe-Marie
This is exactly what I wanted to know too! I'll be straight out of my BA (Hons), so I'm hoping the social life is just as good for postgraduates! When I looked around Sheffield for undergraduate, it looked a pretty cool university to go to!

I think I'll join the official Postgrad society, then see what other societies are available.

Does anyone know where they are going to stay yet?

Hey, just got a 2:1 so I'll definitely be going :biggrin:
I've applied for Endcliffe, sounds pretty lively, do you know where you're applying yet? x
Original post by gee_shakedown
Hey, just got a 2:1 so I'll definitely be going :biggrin:
I've applied for Endcliffe, sounds pretty lively, do you know where you're applying yet? x

Congratulations. :biggrin:

We don't find out our results until Monday, so fingers crossed I get a 2:1... then I'll be coming to Sheffield too.

Cool. I'll be applying to Endcliffe too, I just hope I get an en-suite. Come to think of it, I really should apply for accommodation soon!

I'll be in Florida until the 19th September (Wednesday of 'Intro Week'), so I hope it doesn't cause too many problems with Uni or my flatmates!

x
Original post by Chloe-Marie
Congratulations. :biggrin:

We don't find out our results until Monday, so fingers crossed I get a 2:1... then I'll be coming to Sheffield too.

Cool. I'll be applying to Endcliffe too, I just hope I get an en-suite. Come to think of it, I really should apply for accommodation soon!

I'll be in Florida until the 19th September (Wednesday of 'Intro Week'), so I hope it doesn't cause too many problems with Uni or my flatmates!

x

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get one :smile:
Yeah I applied for an ensuite, they don't start allocating until mid-July so you'll be fine. And I'm abroad until the 17th too, hello jetlagged start to the MA! x
Original post by gee_shakedown
Good luck! I'm sure you'll get one :smile:
Yeah I applied for an ensuite, they don't start allocating until mid-July so you'll be fine. And I'm abroad until the 17th too, hello jetlagged start to the MA! x

Yeah, fingers crossed. :smile: That's good that they don't start allocating until then... I think I'll apply for accommodation tomorrow.

Did you apply to be in a flat with postgraduates? Just wondering how the whole online application works.

Haha, looks like we'll both be a little jetlagged when we first start!

x
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest