The Student Room Group

VAT on suncream!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18785173

Why is there tax on suncream? VAT is designed for non-essential, luxury items. So why the fluff is there vat on something so vital? Some people burn really easily and when a bottle can be £15+ then tax on top of that is a fair chunk for something that doesn't spread very far, especially if you need a couple of applications a day.

It's so stoopid I'm not bothering to put a poll up to see who agrees. If you don't think that this VAT should be taken away then please do give your reasons.

It might only be a pound or two on each bottle but especially if you got a big family with sensitive skin, it can add up.

Scroll to see replies

It's a non-essential item, therefore I suppose it's classed as luxury.
I thought we paid vat on everything.
Reply 3
Stop buying branded sun cream then. There are many cheap alternatives.
(edited 11 years ago)
There's VAT on tampons and sanitary towels and I don't know anyone who'd consider them a 'luxury'.
Reply 5
Original post by Harry Callahan
It's a non-essential item, therefore I suppose it's classed as luxury.

Are we meant to stay in doors all day or go out in the baking heat in full length trousers and shirts then?

Original post by Snagprophet
I thought we paid vat on everything.

Nope, VAT is supposed to be for luxury items. Although I think it's paid on adult clothes but not childrens. Plus thats why there was a row about jaffa cakes, are they a cake or biscuit. Cos if they were cake, there wouldn't be VAT, but if they were a biscuit then there would. Yet I don't see how a chocolate biscuit is more of a luxury than a chocolate cake :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
There's VAT on tampons and sanitary towels and I don't know anyone who'd consider them a 'luxury'.

I never knew that. Maybe we should start a campaign against that to.
Reply 7
Essentials include Food and Drink, some Clothes and some other items. It isn't designed to include whatever you deem as essential, whether you decide that suncream, or other items are essential to you.

Also, its 17.5%, not a huge amount. Quit your whining and buy cheaper suncream then!

Curiously, Flyers do get taxed but Leaflets don't (or the other way around). Anyone know why this is?
Reply 8

I just let nature take its course.

:colone:
Reply 9
Original post by Clare~Bear
Are we meant to stay in doors all day or go out in the baking heat in full length trousers and shirts then?

Well, I'm a geek so... :rolleyes:
Original post by IndyAM
Also, its 17.5%, not a huge amount. Quit your whining and buy cheaper suncream then!

I thought it was 20%. Did the government drop it again back to 17.5%?
Reply 11
So they want more people to get skin cancer
Reply 12
Just because the VAT was lowered on essential items don't make the mistake to take it for granted. The VAT replaced the purchase tax thus it was a flat rate tax when introduced. You should be grateful for receiving a lower tax on essential items rather than make a fuss when you have no clue on how this works.
Original post by IndyAM
Essentials include Food and Drink, some Clothes and some other items. It isn't designed to include whatever you deem as essential, whether you decide that suncream, or other items are essential to you.

Curiously, Flyers do get taxed but Leaflets don't (or the other way around). Anyone know why this is?

The current standard rate is 20%.

Leaflets and flyers (and my printer assured me there is no difference apart from the weight) are a complicated VAT area that depend on the intended use of the item.

For example, if I printed a flyer or leaflet advertising an event that would be zero rated but if I added 'FREE entry with this leaflet' it would be classed as a TICKET and subject to VAT. If it says, '10% off purchase with this flyer' then it is a VOUCHER and if there is a space to fill in your name and address (for a prize draw, for instance) then it becomes a FORM, both of which are also subject to VAT.

For that reason, it's best to get to know your printer and have them assess each print run on a case-by-case basis.

I think there is reduced rate (5%) VAT on sanitary products.
The news report in mention seems fairly ridiculous. I don't think anyone would avoid buying sun cream solely because of tax. The person kept going into the sun, no doubt with no protection. A tax does not prevent silly things like that. Hate all you want, we all know the dangers of going out into the sun, and it was up to her to do so. If she wanted suncream, she should buy it. VAT did not kill her.

I feel as if the family are just looking for something to blame.
I would say just buy it at the airport, but the prices in Boots are not VAT free. They seem to be the same as the high street.

Nope, VAT is supposed to be for luxury items. Although I think it's paid on adult clothes but not childrens. Plus thats why there was a row about jaffa cakes, are they a cake or biscuit. Cos if they were cake, there wouldn't be VAT, but if they were a biscuit then there would. Yet I don't see how a chocolate biscuit is more of a luxury than a chocolate cake :dontknow:

Baking heat? None of that here. Stop moaning about something that's not going to get changed and isn't important.
Original post by RJFarmer
Stop buying branded sun cream then. Their are many cheap alternatives.

This. Last summer got some factor 50+ for like a fiver and aftersun for around £3.
Reply 19
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18785173

Why is there tax on suncream? VAT is designed for non-essential, luxury items. So why the fluff is there vat on something so vital? Some people burn really easily and when a bottle can be £15+ then tax on top of that is a fair chunk for something that doesn't spread very far, especially if you need a couple of applications a day.

It's so stoopid I'm not bothering to put a poll up to see who agrees. If you don't think that this VAT should be taken away then please do give your reasons.

It might only be a pound or two on each bottle but especially if you got a big family with sensitive skin, it can add up.

LOL this is the UK, you don't need sun cream cos it rains all the time.

And if you do need it for going abroad, chances are you can afford the VAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending