The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Let Contract Ending Too Early

My wife and I have been looking for shared accommodation, and most places have been charging us double. That being said, I have found a house that only charges us and one person, and it is in good area, it's inexpensive, and the roommates are great. The only issue is the contract ends in July, and I won't be leaving the UK until I have too, in December or so. What options do I have? I don't want another year contract in July, just six months or a month by month.

Cheers,
Original post by BryanUsrey
My wife and I have been looking for shared accommodation, and most places have been charging us double. That being said, I have found a house that only charges us and one person, and it is in good area, it's inexpensive, and the roommates are great. The only issue is the contract ends in July, and I won't be leaving the UK until I have too, in December or so. What options do I have? I don't want another year contract in July, just six months or a month by month.

Cheers,

You should be able to get a 6 month contract in a non-student area but most landlords in the main student areas will let from July to July (or sometimes from September to September)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
That sounds good. I was going to have to find a new place anyway, because I am going to be staying a few months after September. This just accelerates that house hunting search. Talk about a pain.
Original post by BryanUsrey
That sounds good. I was going to have to find a new place anyway, because I am going to be staying a few months after September. This just accelerates that house hunting search. Talk about a pain.

There are lots of six month contracts... try Beeston, Far Headingley, Roundhay, Otley, Potternewton :smile: (I would advise steering clear of Chapeltown, Harehills, Seacroft, Gipton, Whinmoor and Holbeck, though the latter is slowly improving).)
Reply 4
The only way to know for sure is ask your landlord.

Quick Reply