The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You can tell Murray's making these subtle improvements getting him closer and closer to a GS. I don't think the Murray of 2 years ago would have saved a virtual match point in a GS semi with an ace, or play his best tennis when he really needed it in the tiebreak. He'd have gone tight and missed the serve and gone passive to give the other guy a chance to hit through him. Not sure if it'll be enough on Sunday considering Djokovic's form but he's getting closer and closer to the level he needs to be at mentally.

Looking forward to the final. Novak edges the H2H 4-3 but the last 3 times they've played Murray has won. Hard court H2H is 3-3. Don't think it matters considering their last game was in Miami 2009, but the fact they don't play very often has got me really looking forward to this one. First ever matchup in a slam.
Reply 21
Original post by Louis.
You can tell Murray's making these subtle improvements getting him closer and closer to a GS. I don't think the Murray of 2 years ago would have saved a virtual match point in a GS semi with an ace, or play his best tennis when he really needed it in the tiebreak. He'd have gone tight and missed the serve and gone passive to give the other guy a chance to hit through him. Not sure if it'll be enough on Sunday considering Djokovic's form but he's getting closer and closer to the level he needs to be at mentally.

Looking forward to the final. Novak edges the H2H 4-3 but the last 3 times they've played Murray has won. Hard court H2H is 3-3. Don't think it matters considering their last game was in Miami 2009, but the fact they don't play very often has got me really looking forward to this one. First ever matchup in a slam.

also i would say if its hot and it goes long i would give murray the advantage as djokovic
Reply 22
Original post by st_23
also i would say if its hot and it goes long i would give murray the advantage as djokovic

The final is played at night so I doubt heat will be a problem.
Reply 23
Original post by Louis.
The final is played at night so I doubt heat will be a problem.

true but they reckon its gonna be a lot hotter on sunday, not sure exactly how hot but it can still stay pretty hot at night and even a few degrees would change how quickly the ball goes through the air and how tired they are feeling after 5 sets
A lot of people think Muray played poorly but this clearly isn't the case. It was his concentration that let him down. He had the chances, he converted alot of them, but holding onto breaks requires concentration and he didn't have any. He played well and got into good positions but his concentration failed him.

Had his concentration been better he'd have won 6-3 6-4 6-1 or something. He was up a break in set 1, 2 and 4 and had 15-40 at 4-4 in the first. He's definetely playing well enoguh though.
Original post by JaggySnake95
A lot of people think Muray played poorly but this clearly isn't the case. It was his concentration that let him down. He had the chances, he converted alot of them, but holding onto breaks requires concentration and he didn't have any. He played well and got into good positions but his concentration failed him.

Had his concentration been better he'd have won 6-3 6-4 6-1 or something. He was up a break in set 1, 2 and 4 and had 15-40 at 4-4 in the first. He's definetely playing well enoguh though.

He didn't play that great. He was playing too passively and not aggresively enough. His groundstrokes were too slow, not deep enough, and he was inviting Ferrer to attack him. Ferrer took the invitation and all too often was dictating rallies and bullying Murray into mistakes. Murray did not take the initiative but thankfully he did when it came to the tie-breaks.
Be a different story if he was English?

Really, no English person has the right to talk about the hype Andy Murray get's. What was that? World Cup Winners 2010? Atleast he actually get's to finals.

Ewww, I just realised your one of those ignorant Federer Fangirls.

'Federer Fangirl'? Wow, catchy phrase. No, I just happen to prefer his style of playing over Murray's, and it was watching Federer in the early years that provoked my interest in tennis.

I couldn't care less whether Murray was English or Scottish or whatever. I don't really understand what you're trying to say, but my problem with the Murray hype is that tennis only gets coverage when he plays or when he reaches a GS semi-final/final. The BBC - as well as irritating Murray fans - seem to put patriotism over actual appreciation of the sport and I'm not the only one who gets pissed off by that.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
He didn't play that great. He was playing too passively and not aggresively enough. His groundstrokes were too slow, not deep enough, and he was inviting Ferrer to attack him. Ferrer took the invitation and all too often was dictating rallies and bullying Murray into mistakes. Murray did not take the initiative but thankfully he did when it came to the tie-breaks.

I'm not saying he played great just not poorly. Although at the level he was playing (which you think was pretty low) a 6-3 6-4 6-1 win was very feasible considering the chances he had.

So you're saying a 6-3 6-4 6-1 win (or something along those lines) equates to playing poorly? Definetely not. I thought he played pretty well with a LOT of lapses in concentration which made him play small patches poorly but lapses in concentration is different to playing poorly.
Also looking forward to the final! Although I miss Federer and Nadal, it's going to be an interesting change having a final without them. Think Djokovic will probably win, but it's close.
I'm not saying he played great just not poorly. Although at the level he was playing (which you think was pretty low) a 6-3 6-4 6-1 win was very feasible considering the chances he had.

So you're saying a 6-3 6-4 6-1 win (or something along those lines) equates to playing poorly? Definetely not. I thought he played pretty well with a LOT of lapses in concentration which made him play small patches poorly but lapses in concentration is different to playing poorly.

Murray wasn't convincing in the opening two sets. Thereafter he improved markedly, IMO. He took the initiative much more often in sets 3 and 4.

Where exactly have I said Murray played poorly? Don't put words in my mouth.

What was very feasible was Ferrer winning the second set. Ferrer had a break point to go two sets up to the good. From that position there'd have been no way back for Murray. That close to very feasibly losing the second set and getting knocked out of the competition in 3 straight sets.

There was a fair amount of times Murray broke Ferrer but Ferrer did the same to Murray and Ferrer played very well but his standard did deteriorate whilst Murray's also went up after that 2nd set.

Yes, there were arguably lapses in Murray's concentration but I think some/alot of this was down to the fella on the other side of the net and what he was doing. Ferrer was the better player in the first set and he was very close to winning the second.

Lapses in concentration/playing poorly - you can't always seperate the two. It isn't that black and white. The former can lead to the latter. Murray lost his focus at times but Ferrer's standard of play got Murray really worried. You should be paying more respect to how Ferrer played. Murray did at the end of the match - you could tell how brutal this match was for both players. Murray complimenting Ferrer hugely in his post match chatter with Courier and the way he was hobbling about before exiting the court at the end of the bbc2 coverage - the lad was knackered and he was made to work very hard for his win by Ferrer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by whisperings
'Federer Fangirl'? Wow, catchy phrase. No, I just happen to prefer his style of playing over Murray's, and it was watching Federer in the early years that provoked my interest in tennis.

I couldn't care less whether Murray was English or Scottish or whatever. I don't really understand what you're trying to say, but my problem with the Murray hype is that tennis only gets coverage when he plays or when he reaches a GS semi-final/final. The BBC - as well as irritating Murray fans - seem to put patriotism over actual appreciation of the sport and I'm not the only one who gets pissed off by that.

I don't care who you support and for what reasons but the fact is you clearly have a problem with Murray and for what reason, you have haven't stated. You have problem's with his 'irritating' fans

'tennis only get's coverage when he plays'. I think you'll find so far the past fortnight the BBC have televised every night session featuring 4 different players, and bearing in mind most of Murray's matches were played during the day Australian Time we got that aswell. Basically what I'm saying is what your saying is pretty pathetic. Of course he get's coverage in the 4 Grand Slams but that was the same with Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski. At the 4 majors all matches on the top court are televised and at Wimbledon you get a selection from pretty much any court you want.

As for the hype: What do you expect? It was the same for Greg and Rusedki and it wasn't going to change when Andy appeared. The hype isn't something that Andy can do anything about and it happens in all sports for all countries. England for the football for example. The hype there is worse han Murray's. I mean Scottish schools don't get off every time Andy's playing in a big tournament, so why do England?

I've met a lot of nice Federer fans who RESPECT other players and I usually don't like slagging of others myself either, but when deluded Federer fans come along like yourself who show hatred towards other player's when they've done nothing wrong, I have a lot to say on the issue.

How many times as Federer given praise to his opponent when he's lost? How much respect does he give player's such as Murray, Rafa etc.? Not a lot. Remember when Federer started crying when Rafa won I think Wimbledon and again at the Australian Open? He took away Rafa's moment. A man with double figures in Grand Slams crying.

He only ever gives praise to his opponent's when he wins. There are some seriously crazy and stuck-up Federer fans.

And btw, what reason(s) do you have for disliking Andy Murray?
Reply 31
Original post by whisperings
Oh god, the thought of Murray winning makes me feel sick...I'd have to ban myself from all newspapers and televisions for at least a month! We'd never hear the end of it. And all those ghastly Murray fans...
No, this is Djokovic's time to win. At least now Fed's out my nerves won't suffer so much on Sunday!

**** off essentially.

Should be an immense final.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Murray wasn't convincing in the opening two sets. Thereafter he improved markedly, IMO. He took the initiative much more often in sets 3 and 4.

Where exactly have I said Murray played poorly? Don't put words in my mouth.

What was very feasible was Ferrer winning the second set. Ferrer had a break point to go two sets up to the good. From that position there'd have been no way back for Murray. That close to very feasibly losing the second set and getting knocked out of the competition in 3 straight sets.

There was a fair amount of times Murray broke Ferrer but Ferrer did the same to Murray and Ferrer played very well but his standard did deteriorate whilst Murray's also went up after that 2nd set.

Yes, there were arguably lapses in Murray's concentration but I think some/alot of this was down to the fella on the other side of the net and what he was doing. Ferrer was the better player in the first set and he was very close to winning the second.

Lapses in concentration/playing poorly - you can't always seperate the two. It isn't that black and white. The former can lead to the latter. Murray lost his focus at times but Ferrer's standard of play got Murray really worried. You should be paying more respect to how Ferrer played. Murray did at the end of the match - you could tell how brutal this match was for both players. Murray complimenting Ferrer hugely in his post match chatter with Courier and the way he was hobbling about before exiting the court at the end of the bbc2 coverage - the lad was knackered and he was made to work very hard for his win by Ferrer.

Ok, sorry you said he didn't play great which is just another way of saying he played poorly or there abouts. And you can't say ''give Ferrer more respect'' Not once did I say he played poorly and I'll be the first to admit he played a very good match. But I don't think Murray played as bad as you make out.

Concentration has absolutely NOTHING to do with who's on the other side of the net. Yes, it can be daunting when certain player's are on the other side of the net.

''There was a fair amount of times Murray broke Ferrer but Ferrer did the same to Murray'' only once did Ferrer break to go ahead in a set, every other time it was to get back in the set. And as for the Ferrer 2 set to love being very feasible let's see. Who had the first big chance? Murray went up the first break and had his concentration stayed he would have won that set and same with the second set.

PS. You also can't write off Andy being 2 sets down. :rolleyes:
Original post by Kreuzuerk
**** off essentially.

Should be an immense final.

I love you.
Murray just about did the job today, I never felt he was going to lose even when down SP in the 2nd but if he'd lost or lost that 4th then it would have hindered him in the final. Brilliant tennis in the 3rd and start of 4th, why not just play that way from the off instead of rallying with Ferrer? Baffling
Original post by Economist
Murray just about did the job today, I never felt he was going to lose even when down SP in the 2nd but if he'd lost or lost that 4th then it would have hindered him in the final. Brilliant tennis in the 3rd and start of 4th, why not just play that way from the off instead of rallying with Ferrer? Baffling

I think the circumstances were very difficult for Andy.

Playing the Semi-Finals against a player who you really should be beating, despite him playing very well thsi tournament for the chance to play Djokovic, who he'd favour over Federer in the final. Essentially, he had so much pressure as this is the best chance of a slam you could ask for.

Either we he did well, and previously after that 1st set he'd probably just decided to play not to lose tennis and waited for the errors from Ferrer which probably wouldn't have came and instead switched his tactics and came back fighting. Very up and down match where both had chances.
Murray just managed to hold it in today's match, it wasn't his best.

The final should be good, feel sorry for Murray he just can't seem to win a grand slam...I think it's a British curse or something! All our tennis players have been the "nearly" guys. Hope he puts an end to that.

Let's face it though, the final won't produce classic world class tennis like a Nadal vs Federer final always does but Murray and Djokovic are closely matched so should be good!
I don't care who you support and for what reasons but the fact is you clearly have a problem with Murray and for what reason, you have haven't stated. You have problem's with his 'irritating' fans

'tennis only get's coverage when he plays'. I think you'll find so far the past fortnight the BBC have televised every night session featuring 4 different players, and bearing in mind most of Murray's matches were played during the day Australian Time we got that aswell. Basically what I'm saying is what your saying is pretty pathetic. Of course he get's coverage in the 4 Grand Slams but that was the same with Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski. At the 4 majors all matches on the top court are televised and at Wimbledon you get a selection from pretty much any court you want.

As for the hype: What do you expect? It was the same for Greg and Rusedki and it wasn't going to change when Andy appeared. The hype isn't something that Andy can do anything about and it happens in all sports for all countries. England for the football for example. The hype there is worse han Murray's. I mean Scottish schools don't get off every time Andy's playing in a big tournament, so why do England?

I've met a lot of nice Federer fans who RESPECT other players and I usually don't like slagging of others myself either, but when deluded Federer fans come along like yourself who show hatred towards other player's when they've done nothing wrong, I have a lot to say on the issue.

How many times as Federer given praise to his opponent when he's lost? How much respect does he give player's such as Murray, Rafa etc.? Not a lot. Remember when Federer started crying when Rafa won I think Wimbledon and again at the Australian Open? He took away Rafa's moment. A man with double figures in Grand Slams crying.

He only ever gives praise to his opponent's when he wins. There are some seriously crazy and stuck-up Federer fans.

Former glories don't make today's failures any less painful. Everyone plays to win and if you don't then you're going to hurt and people react differently to that.

Also, if I recall correctly (which I might not be) then Federer didn't cry at Wimbledon on court. He did afterwards when he was being interviewed by McEnroe.

By the way, I agree with pretty much everything else you have said. I think the point whisperings was making is somewhat valid. I think it was the US Open a couple of years ago when Sky's advert was just Murray and whether he could win it. I can understand why they do that, but it is a bit annoying since he isn't the reason I watch tennis. I watch tennis because of the game not any particular player(s). It's also a bit of a stupid advertising strategy because if Murray gets knocked out early on then their entire advertising campaign has had it. Sky don't only do that with tennis though. If you was watch Sky's adverts for darts then you would imagine Taylor was the only person playing, so in this case my issue is with Sky.

Oh look, I really didn't want to get into some silly argument... maybe I haven't been clear enough but I don't have a problem with Murray. I have a problem with how people and the press react to him. I don't dislike Murray himself - he's a very good player who I enjoy watching, and he does deserve to win a slam at some point. But for example on the Radio 4 news tennis is only mentioned if Murray has won. And you're right, it's something that extends to all other players and sports and I can't bear it. Hence why I can't really cheer Murray on.

I certainly haven't got hatred for other players, what a ridiculous thing to assume! I enjoy the style of some players over others, that's all.

Oh and in the press interview after Federer's semi-final loss he praised Djokovic and said that the better man won. Think that answers your question a little bit.

Anyway enough squabbling. May the best man win on Sunday, and if it's Murray I guess I'll hibernate for a while and keep my mouth shut so I don't get shouted at by crazy fans!
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Murray just managed to hold it in today's match, it wasn't his best.

The final should be good, feel sorry for Murray he just can't seem to win a grand slam...I think it's a British curse or something! All our tennis players have been the "nearly" guys. Hope he puts an end to that.

Let's face it though, the final won't produce classic world class tennis like a Nadal vs Federer final always does but Murray and Djokovic are closely matched so should be good!

I think the first [Grand Slam] will be the key to many other due to him having no pressure on him. I wouldn't say it won't produce world class tennis because when Djokovic or Murray play Federer or Nadal we get very good matches so why not against each other?

Good happen, or could be one sided. Although I'd rather Andy win in 3 than 20-18 in the 5th. Although 20-18 seems light weight consdiering what happened in 2010. :tongue:

Latest