The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grape:)
The most gorgeous apple cake of mine that I accidentally made! http://notecook.com/bread/make-easy-bake-apple-cake-recipe/

(I can't be bothered to write it out again and for some reason it wont allow me to copy and paste :smile:

I may just bake that tomorrow, having bought a ton of reduced apples and already made an apple crumble! :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by sparklysparkles
I may just bake that tomorrow, having bought a ton of reduced apples and already made an apple crumble! :smile:

You wont regret it, it's LOVELY :biggrin:
There is nothing better than Nachos and Guacamole..looooove mexican food
Reply 383
Original post by San Francisco
There is nothing better than Nachos and Guacamole..looooove mexican food

Do you make your own?
Reply 384
Alternative Breakfast:

Ingredients:

Rice
2x Egg
Baked Beans
Mushrooms
Bacon

-You can substitute out the bacon and even mushrooms, experiment.

Instructions:

Boil your rice (bring water to the boil, turn heat to lowest setting, cover and leave until rice is cooked)

While waiting for rice to cook, cook your mushrooms and bacon in a pan, slice however you want, and trim bacon fat for healthier meal.

Once rice is done, and no excess water is in the pan, add one can of baked beans, stir, season.

Crack in 1-2 eggs and stir them in to thicken it up.

ADd the chopped bacon and mushrooms into the mix and stir.

Pour all into a bowl and enjoy.
Reply 385
Beast burger recipe (I made it up)

Original post by Bloodbath
So u wanna be a beast huh? Well u better start eating like one- by that I don't mean jumping on people and ripping the flesh from their moving bodies. We're not Christians after all :wink:

I tried to make burgers before but they fell apart and tasted bland. However the new recipe I conjured is a good starting point and are actually quite tasty but no means perfect

You will need:

700g of lean beef mince (mangled to death)

about 80g of cheese (I didn't measure)- I just used normal cheese but if you wanna go 'gourmet' I would recommend cranberry or apricot Stilton

1 red onion ( red ones are stained with the blood of the heathen they call jesus)

Salt or soy sauce

Black pepper (quite alot)

Seasoning mix (I used schwarz's steak mix- about a 3rd of the little pot)- just find a burger/beef seasoning mix

Dejon mustard -didn't have any but think it would work well (guess 2-3 desert spoons)

1 egg (beaten to death)

olive oil (add some to the mix for good measure along with voodoo magik)

Steps:

just mix it all together, separate into paties and cook (preferable on a charcoal bbq- I fried mine cos I don't have the luxary)

I would make a mini burger first to see whether the mix needs more seasoning
Chicken and Leek Pie

Homely stuff :smile:

Melt butter in pan
Add leeks and chicken chunks . cook for ten minutes until soft.
Sprinkle flour over the top, and stir, and then gradually add 300ml milk so you make a roux of sorts and then add some cream, how much depends on how creamy you want it to be, and tarragon.
When everything is cooked thoroughly, place in a dish, and over the top place some pre rolled pastry. Glaze with egg on top and make a slit in the middle to act as a vent.
Place in the oven until done (gas 5 for half an hour)

Voila :smile: Serve with peas and chips or whatever you like.
Reply 387
Chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients

170g unsalted butter, melted
200g dark brown soft sugar
100g caster sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
250g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
300g chocolate chips

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170 C / Gas mark 3. Grease baking trays or line with grease proof paper.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and caster sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy. Sift in the flour and bicarb and stir until well blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
(at this point it's a good idea to put the cookie dough in the fridge, it's easier to handle and the cookies are a better shape when cooked, cuz the dough is quite soft and just splats everywhere :biggrin:)

4. Drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking trays, (if been in fridge you can roll it) quite far apart because they spread out. Do not flatten the dough.

4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. They do not harden in the oven, they're still soft so just cool them for a few minutes and then eat them whenever :tongue:

P.S. This isn't my recipe, it's courtesy of the internet i just use it quite a lot and it's yummy :wink: i've also changed it slightly.
homemade pesto:
generous handful of fresh basil
small amount of Greek basil
parmesan (to taste)
extra virgin olive oil
a handful of pine nuts
a little garlic
salt and pepper

procedure:
chuck all the ingredients in a blender or food processor or use a pestle and mortar until in a paste
put over pasta or on top of salmon and chicken
Best Roast Chicken Recipe

1 whole baby chicken
Herbs: rosemary, mixed herbs, a little bit of cumin, cayenne pepper (for those who like it spicy!), salt + pepper, 3 cardamom pods
1 chicken stock cube
2 nobs of butter
3 cloves of garlic
1 red onion, sliced
4 potatoes, quartered

Method: preheat oven to 240C
1. Add chicken to a roasting tin with foil large enough to wrap around chicken tightly
2. Add all the herbs to the chicken and rub it in well
3. Pierce holes through the chicken on front and back
4. Stick 3 cardamom pods in the back
5. Add garlic, onions and potatoes to the tray
6. Melt stock cube in a bit of boiling water and pour over chicken
7. Melt nobs of butter in boiling water and pour over chicken
8. Wrap in foil tightly and put in oven for 5-10 mins on 240C then reduce to 200C for 45mins then take foil off and cook for another 10 mins until crispy.
Original post by Ana*Haifa

1 whole baby chicken
Herbs: rosemary, mixed herbs, a little bit of cumin, cayenne pepper (for those who like it spicy!), salt + pepper, 3 cardamom pods
1 chicken stock cube
2 nobs of butter
3 cloves of garlic
1 red onion, sliced
4 potatoes, quartered

1. Add chicken to a roasting tin with foil large enough to wrap around chicken tightly
8. Wrap in foil tightly and put in oven for 5-10 mins on 240C then reduce to 200C for 45mins then take foil off and cook for another 10 mins until crispy.

mmm what a lazdheed recipe you have posted,also chicken! :sogood:
Will try tomorrow =)
Reply 391
Original post by Ana*Haifa

1 whole baby chicken
1 chicken stock cube
2 nobs of butter
3 cloves of garlic
1 red onion, sliced
4 potatoes, quartered

Great recipe but personally wouldn't use a stock cube (food snob :p:
5 MINUTE MUG CAKE!

Ingredients
-4 tbs self raising flour
-4 tbs caster sugar
-2 tbs cocoa powder/hot chocolate powder/butterscotch angel delight - you can try it with any powder in the hope of success!
-1 egg
-4 tbs milk
-2 tbs sunflower oil
-3 tablespoons chocolate chips (if doing a chocolate one - I would highly recommend chunks of white chocolate)
-A small dash of vanilla extract
-1 large coffee mug

TO GARNISH (and make it taste nicer) I would recommend --- Whipped cream, ice cream, cream, chocolate sauce or toffee sauce! <3

Method
-Add dry ingredients to the mug, and mix well.
-Add the egg and mix thoroughly
-Add the milk and oil - mix well (don't forget the corners / edges of the mug).
-Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again
-Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes (in a 1000 watt microwave).
-The cake will rise above the top of the mug, but don't worry it’s supposed to!
-Allow to cool a little, tip out onto a plate.

ENJOY! <3
Reply 393
Canada's Best Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour 2 2cups cups(500 mL) (500 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder 2 2tsp tsp(10 mL) (10 mL) baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon 2 2tsp tsp(10 mL) (10 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) baking soda
3/4 tsp salt 3/4 3/4tsp tsp(4 mL) (4 mL) salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) nutmeg
3/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 3/4cup cup(175 mL) (175 mL) granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar 3/4 3/4cup cup(175 mL) (175 mL) packed brown sugar
3 eggs 3 3eggeggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil 3/4 3/4cup cup(175 mL) (175 mL) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) vanilla
2 cups grated carrots 2 2cups cups(500 mL) (500 mL) grated carrotcarrots
1 cup drained crushed canned pineapple 1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) drained crushed canned pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans 1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) chopped pecans
Icing:
1 8 oz (250g) package cream cheese , softened1 18 oz (250g) package 8 oz (250g) packagecream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter , softened1/4 1/4cup cup(50 mL) (50 mL) butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) vanilla
1 cup icing sugar 1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) icing sugar
Reply 394
Barbeque Marinade/Sauce

2 tbsp Red Fruit Jam
2 tbsp Maple Syrup
2 tbsp Ketchup
2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp English Mustard Powder

1. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
2. Marinade chosen meat overnight in fridge.
3. Oven Cook, Grill or Barbeque marinaded meat as required.
OR
4. Use mix as a sauce to pour over cooked meat.
Reply 395
This is a brilliant thread :biggrin: Can't believe I didn't see it until now. I know what I'm going to be doing this summer...
Spanish Omelette (aka Tortilla)

A Spanish Omelette or tortilla is essentially a very thick omelette with lots of chunky fillings. It's often served at tapas restaurants, and it can be served hot or cold, meaning you can have the leftovers for lunch the next day. It's great for students because you can use up pretty much any leftover vegetables, potatoes, eggs, herbs etc. This means that this recipe is a bit vague!

Ingredients:
2 eggs per person
Potato - one baking potato or a few new potatoes
Onion, pepper, courgette etc (whatever you've got)
Splash of milk
Herbs, crushed garlic, salt and pepper
Cheeeeeeeese!

Instructions:

Chop the potato into large-ish chunks (about 2.5cm) and boil, steam or microwave until soft enough to eat. Don't nuke them completely, or they'll fall apart when you add them to the mix later.

Chop the onions, peppers, courgettes etc into smaller chunks (about 1cm) and fry in a little bit of oil on a medium-high heat until they're cooked (they will all be soft, and the onions will be translucent)

Add the cooked potato chunks to the frying pan of cooked vegetables and mix them together until they're all evenly distributed

Crack the eggs into a jug, add a splash of milk and your herbs and seasonings, and beat well

Turn the heat down to low, and pour the beaten eggs into the frying pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to add more eggs (remember, you can save the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!) - the whole omelette should be about an inch or more thick

Stir everything around a bit to stop the bottom layer burning before the top layer cooks. If you're impatient and/or dislike washing up (I fall into both these categories) you can put the frying pan under a grill to hurry along the cooking of the top layer. Important!!! If the frying pan has a plastic or wooden handle, do not put it all the way into the oven! Leave the handle out and leave the oven door slightly open to make room for it

When the top looks like it's pretty much cooked (the egg should be paler and no longer runny) then sprinkle on loads and loads of cheese, and pop it back under the grill to melt it

Depending on the size, you can serve the omelette in slices or as a whole. I tend to serve it in slices with salad and a bit of French bread

Voila :smile: Enjoy! Let me know if you cook it and how it turns out, and also any tips for improvement are welcome!
Tomato Pasta

This serves one and can be herbed up differently it's just how I do it.

1/2 Courgette
2 Small Tomatos (or one regular one)
1/2 Bell Pepper
1 tsp Tomato Puree
Cooking Oil (I use Chilli infused extra virgin)
Garlic Powder
Mixed Herbs
1 Serving of dried pasta (any shape)
1 Wok
1 Pan

1) Slice the courgette in half length ways then into piece, the tomato's into quaters and slice out the middle but put the middles onto a plate and to aside, and the pepper into strips.
2) Put the pasta in a pan of cold water with a little bit of salt and start boiling.
3) Pour the oil into the pan making sure you use atleast 1 1/2 tbsp and may a bit more so that the ingredients can be covered. Heat up the oil and swish it about so it covers the wok.
4) Make sure that the wok is on a really low heat, and add the cut up ingredients. Keep moving them so that they and mostly covered in the oil.
5) Once they have been sizzling for about 5 minutes or so add the herbs and garlic to taste then squeeze the juice from the tomato insides over them. Seeds can go in, the more the merrier but you don't want the actual inards.
6) Add the Tomato Puree once you think that the pasta is nearly done.
7) Drain the pasta and add to the wok and mix about a bit before serving.

I usually add a bit of cheese to the top but thats just me. Make sure that the peppers and tomatos don't go brown and the skin doesn't look cooked otherwise they will be over cooked.
Reply 398
The best BBQ sauce i've ever made.
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 chilli (or less if you're wet)
I tsp of mustard seeds
2oz brown sugar
50ml soy sauce
300ml ketchup
salt and pepper

Finely chop the onion and garlic and lightly soften in a pan with some olive oil
Add the chopped chilli for another few minutes and long with the mustard seeds
Add the sugar and stir it with the other ingredients till it starts to get sticky
Add the soy sauce and then the ketchup
Stir well untill it starts to bubble and thicken

From there you can either let it cool and bottle it to use as a table sauce or use it to marinade and coat meat, i like it on chicken thighs and baked in the oven until its sticky :coma:
I just posted this on another thread, thought it might go in here as well (there's probably already loads of sponge cake recipes!)

Standard/basic sponge cake recipe we learnt in year 7 Food Tech:

Ingredients:
Eggs
50g caster sugar per egg
50g slightly softened butter (leave it out of the fridge for a couple of hours) or Stork per egg
50g self-raising flour per egg
For a two-layer 9" Victoria Sponge, you'll probably need 4 eggs, so 200g of each of the other ingredients.

Method:
Beat together the butter and caster sugar until it's smooth and light.
Beat the eggs in a small bowl then gradually beat them into the butter-sugar mixture (add slowly or it will curdle).
Sieve the flour into the mixture and gently fold it in with a large metal spoon (literally pick up a spoonful and fold it over).
Pour the mixture into a greased tin and bake at about 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes or so, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean, and the cake is pulling away from the sides of the tin slightly.

Adaptations:
Replace 1/5 of the flour with cocoa powder.
Add a capful of vanilla essence before the flour.
Add lemon/orange zest and/or juice before the flour.
Add a small dash of food colouring before the flour.
Split the mixture after the flour, add cocoa or food colouring to some of it, and add alternating blobs of the mixture to the tin to make a marble cake.
Add desiccated coconut, chocolate chips, or raisins/sultanas after the flour.
Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases instead of a big tin (will shorten the cooking time).
Make two round cakes and sandwich together with jam, chocolate spread, creme fraiche, sliced strawberries, buttercream etc...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest