The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi, I need advice for postgrad applications, anyone here to help?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Beth1234
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

I will start compiling a list of applicants when/if there are a few more people. :tongue:

I'm a maths applicant:smile:
Reply 22
I got my AS results and got AAAA, but my chemistry unit 2 module was a high B, which is really disappointing since i'm supposedly one of the better students at chemistry. However, im worried that if you declare your AS modules ( which is optional and we have been told to do) that it will disadvantage me.

Do you think this is true? And are you guys declaring AS modules grades, if your school cashes them?
Original post by ybKing
Hi, My AS grades are as follows:
Chemistry: A - 282/300 ie 94%
Maths: A - 286/300 ie 95%
Biology: A - 285/300 ie 95%
English: A - don't know UMS (I'm away atm and my mum couldnt work out the score :/)
Critical Thinking: A

11A*s GCSE

Likelihood of an interview for medicine?

people have been rejected with more, the grades are a prerequisite, the personality is essential, shown through your personal statement and interview
Reply 24
Original post by ben-smith
I'm a maths applicant:smile:

YAY! Me too :woo:

Where else are you applying?
Reply 25
would i make a reasonable application to imperial considering my grAdes for medicine:

GCSEs:A*A*A*A*distinction(equiv.A*A)AAAAaBB
i did them at a state comprehensive which is rubbish.

AS level:
biology(93%)A
chemistry(86%)A
math (82%)A
geography(93%)A

for A2 continuing with 4 and picking up EPQ.

what dya guys think, should I think of applying??
Reply 26
Couple of quick questions. Does Imperial interview for Physics, if so are they very serious ones like Oxbridge? Also is it possible to apply for the BSc but switch to the MSci later on in the course?
Reply 27
I'm certain i'll apply for Chemical Engineering for 2012 :yep:
Reply 28
Original post by nikita_atikin
---

Do they interview for maths? Do they ever ask for UMS?

I just looked on the website and the selection process just says they base their decision on the UCAS form (well durrr) do you know any where else which is more specific? Surely everyone applying will have 3 or 4 As at AS and a string of A*s at GCSE, how do they choose?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm applying for Medicine :biggrin:. Got AAAA in biology, English lit, chemistry and maths. So scary that we'll be applying soon!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by deejayy

I just looked on the website and the selection process just says they base their decision on the UCAS form (well durrr) do you know any where else which is more specific? Surely everyone applying will have 3 or 4 As at AS and a string of A*s at GCSE, how do they choose?

Another mathmo!

You might be interested in this:
"We do not interview the majority of applicants. People who can expect an interview are usually those who are below the standard age at entry level, some mature students or applicants who are not currently in an academic environment, and anyone we consider to be a special case. Our standard offer may change as a result of your interview. Each application is considered on its individual merits."
...taken from the website http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/admissions/ug/applications_and_offers :smile:

I too am a bit confused about the UMS situation - could someone confirm whether Imperial asks for UMS?
Reply 31
This thread makes me feel weird :ninja:
Original post by itsme2011
I got my AS results and got AAAA, but my chemistry unit 2 module was a high B, which is really disappointing since i'm supposedly one of the better students at chemistry. However, im worried that if you declare your AS modules ( which is optional and we have been told to do) that it will disadvantage me.

Do you think this is true? And are you guys declaring AS modules grades, if your school cashes them?

Yes you are good enough. No Imperial wontcare for a B in chemistry. I had shed loads of Bs at AS and I still got an offer.

Original post by deejayy

I don't think mathematicians are interviewed.
No UMS are not required but please read my post on the 1st page of this thread where you can get whoevers writing your reference to mention some excellent UMS scores in the reference they write.
Selection is made based on your personal statement and reference I believe so make it good.

Also mathematicians have notorious offers up to A*A*A(A + STEP/AEA) so be prepared to do extra exams if need be.
Original post by Beth1234
YAY! Me too :woo:

Where else are you applying?

oops, didn't see this. How rude of me.
Errrrm, I have not fully decided:
-Cam and Imperial definitely.
-Warwick probably.
No idea after that. There are so many places that seem decent!
Yourself?
Reply 34
Ahaha Keets, I knew you'd holler at me to be here! XD

Sup all...Ari here, MEng BME (Biomed Eng) for 2011-2015. And while I'm not the most academic person in this place (ONLY 3 A2s LOLWUT YOU LAZY GIRL! :tongue:) I'm a personal statement + interview maniac, so holler at me if you want help with those.

Also happy to provide advice about ECs/work exp and such, those are my fortes. But by all means, ask me anything and I'll do my best to help!

Original post by Mike93L
Couple of quick questions. Does Imperial interview for Physics, if so are they very serious ones like Oxbridge? Also is it possible to apply for the BSc but switch to the MSci later on in the course?

Yes, Imperial does interview for Physics - the nature of the interview very much depends on the guy you get. You may have an oxbridge-esque one; you may have a relaxed, funny one...most interviews I've heard of fall between the two and have a good mix of academic Qs + "tell me about yourself" Qs. :smile: They do vary, unlike Oxbridge where you can be sure of a bit of a grilling :tongue:

I'd recommend gunning for the MSci first if you can, moving down to the BSc is easier than moving up to the MSci - you need to be on track for a 2:1 at least (if I'm not wrong.) Also, student finance is easier to sort out for 4 years from the get go rather than 3 years and then wanting to tack on an extra one later.
Reply 35
Original post by arianex

Yes, Imperial does interview for Physics - the nature of the interview very much depends on the guy you get. You may have an oxbridge-esque one; you may have a relaxed, funny one...most interviews I've heard of fall between the two and have a good mix of academic Qs + "tell me about yourself" Qs. :smile: They do vary, unlike Oxbridge where you can be sure of a bit of a grilling :tongue:

I'd recommend gunning for the MSci first if you can, moving down to the BSc is easier than moving up to the MSci - you need to be on track for a 2:1 at least (if I'm not wrong.) Also, student finance is easier to sort out for 4 years from the get go rather than 3 years and then wanting to tack on an extra one later.

Thanks. Do you know when the interviews are held? Does Imperial ask for module scores? Also is there more competition/harder to get an offer for the MSci or is it very similar - I wouldn't want to make harder it for myself tbh.
Reply 36
Original post by Mike93L
Thanks. Do you know when the interviews are held? Does Imperial ask for module scores? Also is there more competition/harder to get an offer for the MSci or is it very similar - I wouldn't want to make harder it for myself tbh.

Interviews are held from Oct/Nov onwards, and they'll always be on a Wednesday - it's because Wednesday afternoons are free afternoons for Imps students, so they'll take you on tours then. Each department will also have a list of scheduled interview dates, and interview days (combined with tour + activities) generally last until the evening around 4-5ish depending.

Module scores...I didn't put them in, but if you think yours will be advantageous, yes, mention them. I'd email admissions tutors from your dept to be sure, because some departments may want them and some won't.

For the MSci...I'd say you need your grades to be up to scratch (so make sure you have an edge on that front), but that's about it.
Original post by nikita_atikin
I had shed loads of Bs at AS and I still got an offer.

Hullo, firstly thankyou for all your general advice on this thread so far ^^ Secondly... I got AABB in my ASs: As in maths and biology and Bs in chemistry and RS. I really want to read medicine at Imperial... but had a feeling it was a lost cause. Your comment (above) gave me a little bit of hope...

In your experience, have people with similar AS grades got in to read medicine? (with good references and BMAT and personal statement)

Will the B in chemistry seriously hinder me, and should I retake the module I did rubbishly in (A in mod1 but C in mod2)

Thanks!

-Jemima
Reply 38
Original post by puddleduck
Hullo, firstly thankyou for all your general advice on this thread so far ^^ Secondly... I got AABB in my ASs: As in maths and biology and Bs in chemistry and RS. I really want to read medicine at Imperial... but had a feeling it was a lost cause. Your comment (above) gave me a little bit of hope...

In your experience, have people with similar AS grades got in to read medicine? (with good references and BMAT and personal statement)

Will the B in chemistry seriously hinder me, and should I retake the module I did rubbishly in (A in mod1 but C in mod2)

Thanks!

-Jemima

Jemima. Puddleduck. I see what you did there :tongue:

I'd suggest being strong at Chem as well - it's a known fact that even if you may not use a lot of Chem in a medical degree, unis use Chem grades as a way to weed out academically-weaker candidates (because EVERYONE does Bio, you see!)

But well, I don't see why that should stop you if you're a consistent hard worker and have the aptitude for chem - the jump from GCSE to AS is a bit of a shock, so peeps do end up falling a bit with AS grades. Many peeps I know bumped their Bs and low As at AS and ended up scoring As and A*s at A2 this year.

So yeah, do retake the module that dragged you down (it's proof that you're not shoddy, you can still score well in the other one!); and defo get you chem teacher to emphasize on your consistency + general aptitude for the subject when reference time rolls around (this is where your GCSE Chem grade will help you in proving that you're generally able at Chem.)

How's work exp looking? That'll help loads too.

PS// Reason why unis use Chem (in conjunction with the BMAT/UKCAT) to do weeding out is because it testifies to your ability to think differently (the skills needed to succeed in Chem are actually slightly different to that in Bio, because of the nature of the content!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by ben-smith
oops, didn't see this. How rude of me.
Errrrm, I have not fully decided:
-Cam and Imperial definitely.
-Warwick probably.
No idea after that. There are so many places that seem decent!
Yourself?

Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Edinburgh... and a little torn between UCL and Bristol. There's an 90% chance I'll go for UCL, I think.

Ooh... what college in Cambridge are you applying for?

Latest

Trending

Trending