The Student Room Group

Simplifying expression with fractional power

Is there a simpler form for this? (I've come up with it as an intermediate step to solving a problem, but not sure I should proceed with it in this form.)

3/2(x^3/2)?

All I've come up with so far is 3/2{(sq rt x)^3}, but I don't think that's simpler...
Reply 1
32x32\displaystyle \frac{3}{2} x^{\frac{3}{2}}

If this is what you mean then it is already in its simplest form.

If you need more help, post the whole problem.
Reply 2
Okay, because it's not in LaTeX, I am not sure what you mean. I'll consider the first case that I'm thinking.

So, I see this:
Unparseable latex formula:

\left \frac {3}{2} \right x^{\frac {3}{2}}

Recall for xpqx^{\frac {p}{q}}, where q0q\not=0, the expression becomes xpq\sqrt[q] {x^p}.

You should grab 3x2x\frac {3x}{2} \sqrt {x}.
Reply 3
Original post by SZRoberson

You should grab 3x2x\frac {3x}{2} \sqrt {x}.

I wouldn't call that a "simpler form" but it may be a useful form, depending on the question.
Reply 4
Yes, the expression was as both of you thought.

Both answers helpful - thanks! I think notnek's form may well be useful, as it's one of the functions that I'm working on using the Product Rule for differentiation.
Reply 5
Original post by Oldie
Yes, the expression was as both of you thought.

Both answers helpful - thanks! I think notnek's form may well be useful, as it's one of the functions that I'm working on using the Product Rule for differentiation.

Well, you won't really need the product rule for this one, seeing as a constant multiplier is out front.

Just use the power rule.
Reply 6
Original post by SZRoberson
Well, you won't really need the product rule for this one, seeing as a constant multiplier is out front.

Just use the power rule.

Oldie said that "it's one of the functions" so I'm assuming there is another and he will need to use the product rule.
Reply 7
I think she will. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest