The Student Room Group

Why do people get a degree in something with low prospects...

And then complain when they can't find work?

You're spending thousands a year (9000 from here on out), dont choose something just because you "think its fun". If you like underwater basket weaving, then do underwater basket weaving in your spare time, don't get a degree in it and then wonder why no employer needs an underwater basket weaver.

Gonna get negged to hell for this, but its completely true - most people who do a non specific degree will eventually end up working in something completely different to that degree anyway, so why not study something with a lot more direction/focus which will set you up financially and then follow your other passions in your own time?

People no longer seem to go to uni to set up a future for themselves, they just do it because everyone's doing it and its expected

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaybutler

You're spending thousands a year (9000 from here on out), dont choose something just because you "think its fun". If you like underwater basket weaving, then do underwater basket weaving in your spare time, don't get a degree in it and then wonder why no employer needs an underwater basket weaver.

Gonna get negged to hell for this, but its completely true - most people who do a non specific degree will eventually end up working in something completely different to that degree anyway, so why not study something with a lot more direction/focus which will set you up financially and then follow your other passions in your own time?

People no longer seem to go to uni to set up a future for themselves, they just do it because everyone's doing it and its expected

An equally valid question is why does somebody create an account on tsr just to post a controversial question that will most likely end up creating an argument. Happens far to frequently.

Why can't people do a degree in something that interests them? What would be the point of doing a degree in a subject that you were completely uninterested in just to get a job in a field that they'd probably dislike?
I agree with you to some extent, with these people who take up the silly degrees (e.g. Communications, Media and Society). I think they do it because they want to do the social side of university rather than the academic side of it. If they were seriously considering their future career prospects, they would pick a more specific degree I think with a plan of where they want to go... I know many arts degrees offer transferrable skills, English in comparison to Communications offers more direction and English graduates know the range of jobs they can enter, whether it be civil service, publishing, marketing etc. Communications is unbelievably vague.

Media on it's own is alright though as that's a bit more specific. Film studies however...
(edited 11 years ago)
No one has ever posted this before here... EVER... Seriously no one! This is a completely new, revolutionary topic...
Reply 4
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
An equally valid question is why does somebody create an account on tsr just to post a controversial question that will most likely end up creating an argument. Happens far to frequently.

Why can't people do a degree in something that interests them? What would be the point of doing a degree in a subject that you were completely uninterested in just to get a job in a field that they'd probably dislike?

Well would forums ever be interesting if it werent for arguments

And read my post again, people who study degrees like that will most likely NOT end up in the job they were hoping to. For example, you'd be much more likely to get a good job in Journalism if you had a Law degree from a top uni, as opposed to a Journalism degree. Low tier degrees just dont offer many job opportunities even in their supposed fields, so might aswell study something better and then take up their passions, film, art, drama, in their personal life

Uni is there to highly increase your job prospects. If youre gonna end up working in a bar, or a retail store, skip the uni and go straight into it.
Reply 5
Original post by Captain Hindsight
I agree with you to some extent, with these people who take up the silly degrees (e.g. Communications, Media and Society). I think they do it because they want to do the social side of university rather than the academic side of it. If they were seriously considering their future career prospects, they would pick a more specific degree I think with a plan of where they want to go... I know many arts degrees offer transferrable skills, English in comparison to Communications offers more direction and English graduates know the range of jobs they can enter, whether it be civil service, publishing, marketing etc. Communications is unbelievably vague.

Media on it's own is alright though as that's a bit more specific. Film studies however...

Or maybe they really are interested in communications, media and society from an academic point of view?
Reply 6
i agree, everyone should just do a maths degree.
Reply 7
That's why physics is the degree to take!
Original post by ily_em
Or maybe they really are interested in communications, media and society from an academic point of view?

See, this is what is wrong with this countries. There are too many liberals with views such as "if people want to study X degree, let them study it" even if it is a mickey mouse degree. This is why our education system is a joke and South Korea, Japan and the USA are ahead of us. University should be a place which causes students to discover and understand the causes of things, whether it be art based or science based. Understanding why people text to each other and send emails does not take 3 years to study. If communications is a degree, there will be degrees in the future such as social networking studies.
Reply 9
Original post by Ilyas
i agree, everyone should just do a maths degree.

Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering (and all its fields), Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Law, Economics, History, Architecture, and more ive probably missed

See, this is what is wrong with this countries. There are too many liberals with views such as "if people want to study X degree, let them study it" even if it is a mickey mouse degree. This is why our education system is a joke and South Korea, Japan and the USA are ahead of us. University should be a place which causes students to discover and understand the causes of things, whether it be art based or science based. Understanding why people text to each other and send emails does not take 3 years to study. If communications is a degree, there will be degrees in the future such as social networking studies.

Holy **** this.

Yeah its nice to say everyone just do whatever they love... But this is the real world, where people who "study" such things honestly have no skills or knowledge which they can contribute to the working world...

University was meant to be a place where people study something challenging, far beyond the scope of school, which would greatly increase their chances of landing a secure, respected and well paying job.

Now with all these ridiculous degrees, its kind of turned into an excuse to spend 3 years getting pissed off your head before reality sets it. Getting a uni degree should be difficult, not something literally anyone can do with minimal effort
Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering (and all its fields), Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Law, Economics, History, Architecture, and more ive probably missed

Holy **** this.

Yeah its nice to say everyone just do whatever they love... But this is the real world, where people who "study" such things honestly have no skills or knowledge which they can contribute to the working world...

University was meant to be a place where people study something challenging, far beyond the scope of school, which would greatly increase their chances of landing a secure, respected and well paying job.

Now with all these ridiculous degrees, its kind of turned into an excuse to spend 3 years getting pissed off your head before reality sets it. Getting a uni degree should be difficult, not something literally anyone can do with minimal effort

What's your degree in, then?
Reply 11
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
What's your degree in, then?

Medicine, still in uni
I do English Literature with a view to getting into teaching the subject and yet I sometimes feel like I'm doing a completely useless degree, so I can't understand how people can do "Media and Communications" and "Film Studies" without feeling awful.
Reply 13

Uni is there to highly increase your job prospects. If youre gonna end up working in a bar, or a retail store, skip the uni and go straight into it.

Interesting you say this, I'm pretty sure university was originally created with the intention of both expanding human knowledge (Through research) and to make knowledge available to those capable and willing to expand their mind.

Better job prospects was just a side effect I think.
Reply 14
If you were that motivated by money you would know you don't "pay" 9000 or any other set amount of money for your degree...

Also it's OK if you do basket weaving or whatever as long as you get involved in the rest of university life, then you can apply for general graduate schemes and bang on about the time you organised the Basket Weaving Society Ball

Some people - the best learners, in fact - are what's called integratively oriented (they love their subject/what it represents) and some are instrumentally oriented (doing it for the money/job prospects/because they get good grades).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

Well there are only a certain number of jobs! The pursuit of Mickey Mouse degrees will not detract from the chances of those who know what to do. They are digging their own grave, as it were.
Reply 16
Original post by Arekkusu
If you were that motivated by money you would know you don't "pay" 9000 or any other set amount of money for your degree...

You don't pay it, you invest it :wink:
Reply 17

Ever heard of transferable skills? :doh: I'm sure you're thinking about most arts subjects (minus law) when you say this. And yes you're right; most people don't go and take up a career in their degree subject, because they use the skills they learnt at uni and applied them to other jobs.

<3 x
Reply 18
Original post by Milesness
Interesting you say this, I'm pretty sure university was originally created with the intention of both expanding human knowledge (Through research) and to make knowledge available to those capable and willing to expand their mind.

Better job prospects was just a side effect I think.

School expands your knowledge to a good enough level. I did A Level maths for example, and learned 1000x more maths than I will ever need to use in my day to day life. Even at GCSE level, you learn plenty more about a certain subject than you will be likely to need/use at any stage

When you go into uni, its because you want to achieve a specific future goal, IE getting into a field which you enjoy but will also give you financial security long term

Whether or not that's what uni was created for, that's what it actually is for in the here and now, hence why so many people without a quality degree go into a job which they could have got without ever having gone to university

Original post by Arekkusu

Wanting a respected, interesting, well paid job with a lot of scope for future development does not make you money hungry, it simply means you are smart and have your priorities straight in life
(edited 11 years ago)

There are just as many people in the US doing 'Mickey Mouse' degrees and most of these still fall in to your category of 'discovering and understanding the cause of things'. Judging by your ridiculous description of what a communications course involves you have virtually no idea what you're talking about. Sit down and shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending