The Student Room Group

The (un)Official 2011/2012 Access to HE - First Year Uni Thread!

Bit early I know but, makes sense that it is made now ready and waiting, over the holiday and then straight into university!

Hows about we start with what access course we did in 2011/2012 and what University course we have enrolled/will enrol onto!

It will be good for everybody on the un(official) thread for access to HE thread to keep in touch and vent! and help when needed as has been done for the past year!

I studied the Access to Social Sciences course (Criminology and Psychology) - going onto study Criminology & Psychology BSc at Liverpool John Moores University. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Access to Science (pharmacy) - going to study Pharmacy (MPharm) at Brighton University :smile:

Still can't believe it, hope it goes as well as my access course did.
Reply 2
Hello my name's Beebumble and I'm an alcoholic and I studied access to Humanities and Social Science and will now go on to study English Language (and hopefully Linguistics as well) at the University of Essex.

Just waiting for confirmation to send to the uni for my offer to become unconditional. I will not rest until then!:colonhash:
Reply 3
Original post by Beebumble
Hello my name's Beebumble and I'm an alcoholic and I studied access to Humanities and Social Science and will now go on to study English Language (and hopefully Linguistics as well) at the University of Essex.

Just waiting for confirmation to send to the uni for my offer to become unconditional. I will not rest until then!:colonhash:

Eh, i've been given the green light i've passed my exams thats as official as i need it! :biggrin: will be good to change from conditional to unconditional though :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by RinniieX
Eh, i've been given the green light i've passed my exams thats as official as i need it! :biggrin: will be good to change from conditional to unconditional though :biggrin:

Oh, I'm just panicking that I've messed my application up somewhere and the uni use that as some an excuse to reject me or the moderators rip my work apart or something!
Reply 5
Original post by Beebumble
Oh, I'm just panicking that I've messed my application up somewhere and the uni use that as some an excuse to reject me or the moderators rip my work apart or something!

hahaha i doubt anybody is going to rip up your work! you will be FINE and dandy! Uni in like 2 months in a way i hope it drags because im scared! hha
Reply 6
Original post by RinniieX
hahaha i doubt anybody is going to rip up your work! you will be FINE and dandy! Uni in like 2 months in a way i hope it drags because im scared! hha

I still got 3 months! I hope it flys because I'm excited and bored.:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Wahooo!! We made it! :clap2:

Access to Humanities (English, Psychology & History)
Studying Law L.L.B at Exeter university!
(bold so it will stand out from what I'm about to write...)

I've spent pretty much most of the day trying to find a house share. I am now very, very scared that it's going to be a nightmare and I'm going to end up living with people so different from myself that the whole situation will be horrid. Part of me thinks I should just wait until August when I can go and visit, the other part of me thinks this is a terrible idea and everywhere good will have gone! At least I have something new to fret over in the next three months! lol
Reply 8
Moving up to Glasgow in a few weeks to study History, already made a few friends on here and facebook so really looking forward to going.
Just want everything to go smooth with the move and get all the money and paperwork sorted for the new house.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just finished Access to Computing at Leicester college. Now awaiting September and Manchester Met for Computing!
Reply 10
Did a 2yr part time access to health and going to study occupational therapy at Coventry....can't wait!!!
Reply 11
Congratulations everyone! I'm excited to hear about what you guys have studied and what you're going on to do, because I myself have applied to do an Access Course this year and am hoping I will be in the same boat next year! I will be studying Humanities and hopefully will be going on to do English Lit or similar next year :smile: Of course here's hoping I actually get accepted for the course lol, but already I am excited about what the future holds. How did you all find your year and do you feel it prepared you for University? Did your college tutors help you in the right direction when it came to choosing a course and applying? So many questions!
did the access to social work and going on to do social work BA(hons) at glasgow caledonian university (GCU) - so gonna be upping sticks in a few weeks time.

tigrah

to ansa some of your Qs :smile:

the last 9 mths have been bearable altho occasionally the work load was excessive but, that was purely down to poor organisation on my part.
i won't know whether i'm prepped for uni (unlikely imo) till i get there but, will feedback when i come here to cry later in the year lol

can't say the tutors helped with direction because we already knew what we wanted to do however, there was guidance avail to those that weren't making the grades/meeting requirements.
the application process is something some of the others on the course did need help with but this is largely down to the individual. i've a tendency to self sufficiency so didn't need any help and i made sure i went out and found the info i needed - cos i saw from my tutors that they were pretty busy and didn't always have the time needed to help.

if access taught me anything then it would have to be self reliance. something i know will be crucial at the next level.
if i were to offer unasked for advice it would be that ppl learn to sort themselves out (if not already comfy doing it) so that they are clued up as to what is needed. ring the uni's u want. find out what they want regards grades/entry requirements/and anything and everything that will help u with your PS and application. then make sure to deliver.
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Tigrah99
Congratulations everyone! I'm excited to hear about what you guys have studied and what you're going on to do, because I myself have applied to do an Access Course this year and am hoping I will be in the same boat next year! I will be studying Humanities and hopefully will be going on to do English Lit or similar next year :smile: Of course here's hoping I actually get accepted for the course lol, but already I am excited about what the future holds. How did you all find your year and do you feel it prepared you for University? Did your college tutors help you in the right direction when it came to choosing a course and applying? So many questions!

I have to agree with everything ashtoreth says (she always says exactly what I'm feeling!).

The access workload was intense and I learnt that organisation is the key to success. Get yourself a diary before you start and keep it with you at all times to update. I made a couple of mistakes (of the study skills kind) and I'm glad I had chance to make them and learn from them before starting my degree. I'm also glad that I had chance to experience and learn from the group learning environment as well before starting a four year course.

Like ashtoreth I was pretty self-sufficient and did all my own research on which universities to apply for, how ucas worked, contacting people for information etc but there were people on the course who needed extra help with that stuff. The tutors are there to help though and its important that you ask for help when you need it because they don't have time to keep checking that you are okay, if you don't ask they'll assume you are and leave you alone.

Good luck with your application.
Reply 14
Original post by Tigrah99

I have to disagree with both of the above posts, I did a Level 3 access course to science an engineering (physics, mathematics and chemistry) and found the workload easily managed and easily finished, distinctions in most things and merits in topics I wasn't interested in.

But it all depends on your circumstances and what subjects you're doing, I'm sure age etc is relevant as well, I'm sure the 2 above posters are perfectly right according to what their experience was, but just remember it might not be as bad as you think, good luck.

On the otherhand although the work was very easy (some of the maths was quite hard but never excessive) I feel that I'm still massively unprepared for university and terrified I'll drop out, since majority of the students on my course will be post A level students so will have a much much more in depth knowledge of the subject, whereas access courses just skim over topics and never go in depth.

Like I said I did access to science and engineering doing physics, chemistry and mathematics, I've firmed physics with astrophysics at Hertfordshire university, get my results on the 7th of July (whilst I'm on holiday in Croatia! :'( )

Good luck everyone.
Original post by Kvitty
I have to disagree with both of the above posts, I did a Level 3 access course to science an engineering (physics, mathematics and chemistry) and found the workload easily managed and easily finished, distinctions in most things and merits in topics I wasn't interested in.

But it all depends on your circumstances and what subjects you're doing, I'm sure age etc is relevant as well, I'm sure the 2 above posters are perfectly right according to what their experience was, but just remember it might not be as bad as you think, good luck.

On the otherhand although the work was very easy (some of the maths was quite hard but never excessive) I feel that I'm still massively unprepared for university and terrified I'll drop out, since majority of the students on my course will be post A level students so will have a much much more in depth knowledge of the subject, whereas access courses just skim over topics and never go in depth.

Like I said I did access to science and engineering doing physics, chemistry and mathematics, I've firmed physics with astrophysics at Hertfordshire university, get my results on the 7th of July (whilst I'm on holiday in Croatia! :'( )

Good luck everyone.

if i'm reading your post correctly then i think we're all saying the same thing - be organised. lol

you are obviously the organised type hence the reason u were fine on your course, and to be fair we had those types on my course too - which was the point i was trying to get across, as was jami i'd have said...(not that i wish to speak for u jami :smile: )
not sure how age matters but there's probably something i'm overlooking, however, i suspect those on a humanities/social science course are likely to see more essays which means if u want a stress free time then organisation is essential.

as said, i think by and large we are all in agreement...stay organised and u will sail thru...be disorganised and u will have moments where u wish u were more organised!

good luck with your results kvitty! can't say i envy u getting them when u aren't even home - that would drive me mad! lol
Reply 16
Psychology at Royal Holloway. Excited, nervous, and bored just about sums me up at the moment! 3 months is going to drag!

How did you all find your year and do you feel it prepared you for University? Did your college tutors help you in the right direction when it came to choosing a course and applying? So many questions!

With regards to the above question, I think the access course depends on several factors, how organised you are, how organised the tutors are, and what type of access course it is you are doing. I did a general Access to HE course, heavily essay based. I did all 3 level 2 subjects (maths, science and Communications) and 3 level 3 subjects (psychology, history and health & social care). I wasn't as organised as I could be, but the tutors also weren't as organised as they could have been either, and by that I mean communication between the subjects would have meant essays being staggered to relieve everything being given at the same time. We had atleast a period of 2 months at one point with no assignments for level 3, but then the next month, 3/4 assignments given out in the same week. The exams were too close to the end of the year, when they could easily have moved them forward a week as all lessons ended about 3 weeks prior, as well meant that not much time to receive marked work back and get everything signed off. As a result of the above we had two predominant periods that were extremely intense, with very little sleep to ensure work handed in on time. However, considering it was a 9 month course that had been emphasised at the beginning as being intense, having only a couple of periods like that is not too bad.

As others have said, I didn't really need to use the tutors for advise and help as I am very self sufficient, but they were there to support and advise if needed. My psychology tutor, was possibly one of the best tutors I have ever met, spending time with me to go through areas we had not covered in the course that I would need for the university degree. What I do suggest is, ask questions, if you don't understand, ask, don't hold back because you think it is a silly question, utilise the tutors expertise, you will be surprised at how responsive and how they appreciate the interaction.
Reply 17
Thanks for sharing your experiences guys :smile:
I guessed that it would be largely down to being organised, because as mature students, tutors obviously aren't going to be doing everything for us - I'm not the most organised person but will definitely have to get my butt into gear to keep on top of the workload as it sounds like it is a lot! I will probably keep a diary as to help me stay on track as Jami74 suggested. I don't know what my chosen college will be like in terms of how organised they are themselves, although hopefully not like my last college which was just awful (after our original tutor actually WALKED OUT and quit, absolutely nothing got done and it was ultimately a huge waste of time). Although I'm quite self sufficient myself and I have a pretty clear idea of the path I want to go down, hopefully tutors should be able to help me with any questions about uni as I'm very new to the idea of going and not quite sure how it all works at the moment. So I'll probably be terrified when it comes to being in your shoes next year!
Good luck to all, it will be good see how everyone gets on.

I guess given the nature of this thread I will have to start one for

2012 Cohort - first year uni thread. Open for all routes.
Reply 19
Original post by evening sunrise
Good luck to all, it will be good see how everyone gets on.

I guess given the nature of this thread I will have to start one for

2012 Cohort - first year uni thread. Open for all routes.

Don't be daft. The 'Access' bit is just because its a follow on from the previous thread, it doesn't stop anyone from taking part. It will be really interesting to see how all the mature students get on in their first year.

I actually feel really well prepared for my degree but that is because I have done a specific access course which contained twice as many level 3 credits compared to most access courses. I'm realising that a lot of Access students have done a more general course with the minimum credits and don't feel prepared at all. I'm sure this will open up the 'A'levels v Access' debate again at some point.

I'm also hoping that as time goes by the mature students share their best tips for success and survival at university.

Quick Reply

Latest