The Student Room Group

Mitt Romney continues to annoy the world

While I wouldn't go as far to describe the action with the newspeak, 'racist', it was pretty offensive to suggest that America is where it's at because of 'culture'. Someone needs to thump this superiority complex-ridden prick in the face.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19052534

Corruption isn't culture. Corruption stems from lawlessness and believing or knowing you can get away with it.

Scroll to see replies

Oh come on, he said Palestine was poor because it has terrible institutions. That is true. It's true of the rest of the Arab world, oil money aside.

And yes, if you leave England, you will find there are a lot of places where what you call corruption is part of the culture. It's not necessarily that they're bad people or something - they usually don't even regard it as wrong, and often it actually is the best/only way to operate when faced with a government that is little more than a tyrannical armed mob, like the Palestinian Authority. But it is for sure a cause of failure to develop, because in a corrupt society no one can be sure that an investment they make today will still belong to them this time next year.

The Romney-bashing has become a knee-jerk reaction in the media regardless what the man actually says. The Palestinian Authority calls him a racist? Ok. This is a group of people who intentionally blow up schoolchildren to advance their political goals. What next - Osama Bin Laden as an authoritative source on the success of the Obama presidency?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
No, he's just saying what he thinks. Why is everybody so keen to pick on Romney?
Original post by Cephalus
No, he's just saying what he thinks. Why is everybody so keen to pick on Romney?

Because he's a moron! :biggrin: Have you ever seen some of his policies, if he hasn't changed them again?
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't like Romney as he's a billionaire who doesn't pay taxes. I don't think his ambitions to be president come from any altruism
Reply 5
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Because he's a f****** moron! :biggrin: Have you ever seen some of his policies, if he hasn't changed them again?

Yeah I was on his website only the other day. They're not bad imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Presenttime
Don't like Romney as he's a billionaire who doesn't pay taxes. I don't think his ambitions to be president come from any altruism

He's not a billionaire. He's only worth about 200 million
He's not a billionaire. He's only worth about 200 million

Pfft. Only 200 mil, that's pocket change right?
Reply 8
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Well no but his wealth is being truly overexaggerated for political reasons.
Considering Israel are imposing a nazi regime on Palestine it's no wonder their GDP is so low. I sincerely hope Romney doesn't come to power, it'll just provide a gateway for more impunitive military action by the apartheid state that is israel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah I was on his website only the other day. They're not bad imo.

I'm flabbergasted. This is a man who says....

"I'm not concerned about the very poor."

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me."

"He [Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love."
Original post by Observatory
Oh come on, he said Palestine was poor because it has terrible institutions. That is true. It's true of the rest of the Arab world, oil money aside.

That's true.

The question is, why does it have poor institutions? Is it possible for the Arab world to have good institutions? I believe it is possible for some countries (particularly Lebanon and Syria...maybe Egypt) but unlikely for others. The Arabs are not homogeneous.
Reply 12
I'm flabbergasted. This is a man who says....

"I'm not concerned about the very poor."

"He [Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love."

The last quote is a thing of beauty.
Original post by Cheese_Monster

Why does being rich make him a bad a bad presidential candidate? I know he is a bad presidential candidate, but why does his wealth matter?

A little bit of pee came out! :biggrin:

And yes, if you leave England, you will find there are a lot of places where what you call corruption is part of the culture. It's not necessarily that they're bad people or something - they usually don't even regard it as wrong, and often it actually is the best/only way to operate when faced with a government that is little more than a tyrannical armed mob, like the Palestinian Authority. But it is for sure a cause of failure to develop, because in a corrupt society no one can be sure that an investment they make today will still belong to them this time next year.

The Romney-bashing has become a knee-jerk reaction in the media regardless what the man actually says. The Palestinian Authority calls him a racist? Ok. This is a group of people who intentionally blow up schoolchildren to advance their political goals. What next - Osama Bin Laden as an authoritative source on the success of the Obama presidency?

Well, I don't think Romney was being Racist.

However, it is true to say that Palestinian's low GDP per Capita is also do with the significant economic blockade which stops large amounts of trade. Corruption is a problem but cannot be solely responsible for such a low GDP.
While the others are just taken out of context, I don't see a problem with that one even as written. If you had a plumber in would you like if it were impossible to ever hire a different plumber even if he did a shoddy job or overcharged you?
Reply 17

Ha, I agree. Had to read it a few times to get it.
Original post by DorianGrayism
However, it is true to say that Palestinian's low GDP per Capita is also do with the significant economic blockade which stops large amounts of trade. Corruption is a problem but cannot be solely responsible for such a low GDP.

It would be higher if not for that. But bear in mind that:

1. The measured GDPPC of Palestinian Authority territory is only about half that of Jordan - $2k vs $4k. And Jordan is a functional state that can trade with most/all of its neighbours. The fundamental reason Palestine isn't as rich as Israel isn't the result of the border fence.

2. The reason the fence was built is that the Palestinian Authority/PLO keeps trying to blow up Israeli schoolchildren, incidence of which has plummeted since the fence was finished. So the border fence can't be entirely separated from the government's actions either.
While the others are just taken out of context, I don't see a problem with that one even as written. If you had a plumber in would you like if it were impossible to ever hire a different plumber even if he did a shoddy job or overcharged you?

I agree, it's fine. However, it won't bode well with the general public which is why it's an incredibly stupid thing to say. Can you imagine the uproar if David Cameron said that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending