The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Braddd
Oh so is it quite competitive then? (I know medicine itself is competitive but in comparison).

Well in my college it's known that hardly any people seem to get offers there (for med). But hey, maybe that says something about my college.
Original post by Braddd
Basically, does anyone know if the entry requirements have changed since last year? (I mean for Scottish Students). I can only find 2011 entry requirements.

It says AAAAB at higher and then BB at advanced higher including chemistry... It's pretty low compared to other medical schools... I only got ABB (chem, physics, maths) in my advanced highers this year so it's the basically the only one in England I can apply to... I have AAAAAB for my highers... Is it worth me applying?

Leeds want AB at AH for this years entry but you should still be ok. Barts and the London want AB too so there's another one
Reply 62
Original post by sablarrr
Well in my college it's known that hardly any people seem to get offers there (for med). But hey, maybe that says something about my college.

Ah right. Last person to get into medicine at our school was like 7/8 years ago so our school doesn't really know all that much about medicine admissions.

Original post by Anterior view
Leeds want AB at AH for this years entry but you should still be ok. Barts and the London want AB too so there's another one

Oh okay, I couldn't find the up to date Leeds admissions. It only said 2011 on the website. Barts want AA at AH so that's out of the question...
Leeds is the only university in England I can apply to I think...
Reply 63
Original post by Braddd
Oh so is it quite competitive then? (I know medicine itself is competitive but in comparison).

All uni's are insanely competitive with around 10-16 applicants per place in most places.

They vary from year to year, so for example Leeds may have had LOADS last year (they had a pretty normal applicant number considering the year etc etc) they may have not many this year because a few people get put off.

Keele's a good example,
They're app numbers like tripled because the year before was fairly quiet.

Not just your college.

It happens everywhere, It's just tough.

Also no one ever thinks they'll get four rejections, us medicine applicants are high achievers.
It was the last thing I was expecting to get rejected from everywhere last year, it was quite humbling.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by joemullally
All uni's are insanely competitive with around 10-16 applicants per place in most places.

They vary from year to year, so for example Leeds may have had LOADS last year (they had a pretty normal applicant number considering the year etc etc) they may have not many this year because a few people get put off.

Keele's a good example,
They're app numbers like tripled because the year before was fairly quiet.

Yeah I get that all the unis are extremely competitive. I'm a re-applicant and got 4 rejections. I was just asking because I don't know that much about admissions in England. What I was meaning was is it a uni that is just that tad more competitive? Like in Scotland, Edinburgh is the most competitive seeing as they don't interview, and Glasgow isn't too bad as long as you achieve the ukcat cut-off.

Thanks anyway.
Reply 65
Original post by Braddd
Yeah I get that all the unis are extremely competitive. I'm a re-applicant and got 4 rejections. I was just asking because I don't know that much about admissions in England. What I was meaning was is it a uni that is just that tad more competitive? Like in Scotland, Edinburgh is the most competitive seeing as they don't interview, and Glasgow isn't too bad as long as you achieve the ukcat cut-off.

Thanks anyway.

aye, nahh in england and wales it really varies year on year.
:biggrin:
Did anyone go to the open day? I missed it and would like to know people's opinions of Leeds and the course. Much appreciated :h:

leeds have another open day early october and for the medicine faculty you'll have to book tickets online in advance. it's most certainly worth the visit :smile:
Does anyone have the scoring system leeds use?
Reply 68

Not just your college.

It happens everywhere, It's just tough.

Also no one ever thinks they'll get four rejections, us medicine applicants are high achievers.
It was the last thing I was expecting to get rejected from everywhere last year, it was quite humbling.

Yeah, I know. I'm a first timer (can you tell? :tongue:) so am not familiar to the process. I just know that it's very competitive.

Original post by iamwhoiam17
leeds have another open day early october and for the medicine faculty you'll have to book tickets online in advance. it's most certainly worth the visit :smile:

Reply 69
I went to the '09 one.

Tbf I loved it.
One of the friendliest feeling cities i've ever felt.
The course sounds awesome too with some features being early patient contact and wet anatomy.
It's an integrated course.

The city itself just felt right, I could see myself living there, It has almost everything, including a free inner city bus.
The accom seems nice but that's inconsequential because it's a first year only thing.

But yeah that was the 2009 open day and it was jam packed with good applicants, I still speak to some of the people I met there (they all got in lol).

they're just some of the thoughts I had.

What you said is right...however we don't have a free city bus anymore :frown: damn recession!!
Reply 70
Original post by Limesasquatch
Does anyone have the scoring system leeds use?

It's in the op

Yeah, I know. I'm a first timer (can you tell? :tongue:) so am not familiar to the process. I just know that it's very competitive.

Haha you can just tell but I was a first timer last year so who cares?
An applicants an applicant and a potential classmate in the future.
It is extremely competitive.

Original post by aSian_cUtY
What you said is right...however we don't have a free city bus anymore :frown: damn recession!!

NO FREE CITY BUS?
Campaign for it back by the time I get there? :P

We could get the medsoc to drive it?

Ohwell, Leeds is still an awesome city.
Reply 71
Is living in Oxley going to be a problem for a medic? Does anyone know how long it takes to get in to the Worsley building?
hello :smile: does anyone know if you already have your a's a-levels you automatically get the full 16 points for academics or whether it still takes into account your GCSE's?

thanks
Reply 73
Original post by heatherlou7
hello :smile: does anyone know if you already have your a's a-levels you automatically get the full 16 points for academics or whether it still takes into account your GCSE's?

thanks

You get a bonus of up to 2 points for achieved grades on top of what your GCSE's would score anyway.

You can only score 14/16 without achieved grades.
I'm really torn between applying to here and UEA. I wish the 16 points allocated for academics could be explained a little further...
Reply 75
Original post by Caponester
I'm really torn between applying to here and UEA. I wish the 16 points allocated for academics could be explained a little further...

So do we . . .

All we know is it has some bearing on your GCSE's
And you get a bonus of up to two for achieved grades
You can't get 16/16 unless you have achieved grades.

That's all that we know from last years applicant threads and feedback letters.
Reply 76
Hey there, I've calculated a score of 50 out of 60 for GCSE's and UKCAT.

I also would have to retake English (C) to reach that score.

Keeping in mind that most applicants will have 4-6 A* in GCSE's, and a ukcat score of 650+ in each section, I have the feeling that most applicants will get a score slightly above 50.

Is it really wise for me to apply?
Reply 77
Original post by Giggy88
Hey there, I've calculated a score of 50 out of 60 for GCSE's and UKCAT.

I also would have to retake English (C) to reach that score.

Keeping in mind that most applicants will have 4-6 A* in GCSE's, and a ukcat score of 650+ in each section, I have the feeling that most applicants will get a score slightly above 50.

Is it really wise for me to apply?

I think you're thinking about Leiscter's application system mate.
Leeds score academics out of 16 and have one bonus point for a UKCAT of 700+
Reply 78
I think you're thinking about Leiscter's application system mate.
Leeds score academics out of 16 and have one bonus point for a UKCAT of 700+

LoL, this is akward, clicked at the wrong forum.. Well it was 3 in the morning, so I guess I was half asleep. :redface:
Reply 79
Does anyone else think it's kind of stupid you can't get full academics mark unless you have achieved A2's... I mean, the majority of applicants will still have their A2's pending. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending