The Student Room Group

Linkedin - useful tool or waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Also a solid foundation is a lot easier to build on than "nothing"

Your masters won't make the money per se but it'll help you understand what does
Reply 81
Original post by Teenage Pirate
Also a solid foundation is a lot easier to build on than "nothing"

Your masters won't make the money per se but it'll help you understand what does

Elaborate..
Whereas your fund has an edge in liquid markets because of something you found out in your two years at Optiver???

The underlyings are liquid. The options markets... not so much.
Reply 83
Original post by President_Ben

just out of interest, what options do you trade? debt and rate options?
Original post by gangst
just out of interest, what options do you trade? debt and rate options?

US and German long end.

Still, seems to be very macro-driven and I'm not really sure how you specifically could have an edge in those markets.

I mean it could be too small for the banks/larger HFs to care about or it could be that they're using the markets but you're one of a few arbitrage players in them making money. Either way, I have trouble imagining the kind of profits coming about from those markets that would make you a "medium shot."

Off topic though. Thinking out loud.
Original post by Focus08
Elaborate..

Well for instance poster "Samtheman1" on this thread obviously doesn't have a finance education but works in finance. The problem is that if he tries to reach outside his small field of expertise, he's usually hopelessly clueless. Things in finance are generally interconnected and being hopelessly clueless sets you back you.
Reply 87
US and German long end.

Cool. What kind of AUM are you running??

Being real nosey now, but teenage pirates post got me thinking!
He's not going to tell you so I might as well throw around some random speculation.

Heard a rumour of low 7 figures once but figured he's not paying analysts/interns 100k on an AUM of that. Own guess would be low 8 figs, though choice of prime broker implies very low 8 figs that unless there are other factors at play. 7 figs would only make sense if he really was running a really small operation that managed outsize returns because of size.

All just speculation though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
He's not going to tell you so I might as well throw around some random speculation.

Heard a rumour of low 7 figures once but figured he's not paying analysts/interns 100k on an AUM of that. Own guess would be low 8 figs, though choice of prime broker implies very low 8 figs that unless there are other factors at play. 7 figs would only make sense if he really was running a really small operation that managed outsize returns because of size.

All just speculation though.

If I may join in...

Based on his comments on pay, and a 2 + 20...

Assuming PB personally wants to clear 1mil a year and his fund is capable of returning 5-10%, I'd guesstimate AUM is in the range of £50-150mil.

As you say all speculation though. Apologies to PB if way off the mark.
Original post by gangst
If I may join in...

Based on his comments on pay, and a 2 + 20...

Assuming PB personally wants to clear 1mil a year and his fund is capable of returning 5-10%, I'd guesstimate AUM is in the range of £50-150mil.

As you say all speculation though. Apologies to PB if way off the mark.

All sorts of guesses going around are way off the mark.

You don't start a fund in your mid-20s by being conventional. I'll say that much. No more.
Reply 91
All sorts of guesses going around are way off the mark.

You don't start a fund in your mid-20s by being conventional. I'll say that much. No more.

2 + 20 it is not then! :wink:
Well for instance poster "Samtheman1" on this thread obviously doesn't have a finance education but works in finance. The problem is that if he tries to reach outside his small field of expertise, he's usually hopelessly clueless. Things in finance are generally interconnected and being hopelessly clueless sets you back you.

Haha and yet I am an ex Big 4 chartered accountant, now work in IB, and advise on multiple financial transactions each year.

You are still at Uni, so I am not sure how big your 'field of expertise' actually is. Nevertheless, as you have read books about banking and have maybe joined a couple of universtiy societies - you are undoubtably better placed to educate TSR about the practicalities of finance.

PB - I am sure that you probably are good at what you do, and when you do give advice on here it is actually very good and people do learn a lot from you. But the constant need to tell everyone how rich and successful you are is lame.
Original post by Samtheman1

PB - I am sure that you probably are good at what you do, and when you do give advice on here it is actually very good and people do learn a lot from you. But the constant need to tell everyone how rich and successful you are is lame.

If people ask, I try to answer. I keep a lot of the details out.

It's when people assume I'm some hippy student that I give them a bit to chew on.
Reply 94
If people ask, I try to answer. I keep a lot of the details out.

It's when people assume I'm some hippy student that I give them a bit to chew on.

i think your a hippy student. Now give me more to chew on. How much do you earn per year?
Original post by Samtheman1
Haha and yet I am an ex Big 4 chartered accountant, now work in IB, and advise on multiple financial transactions each year.

You are still at Uni, so I am not sure how big your 'field of expertise' actually is. Nevertheless, as you have read books about banking and have maybe joined a couple of universtiy societies - you are undoubtably better placed to educate TSR about the practicalities of finance.

For Focus08:

The second problem is that he actually thinks he knows what he's talking about :frown:
Original post by gangst

Assuming PB personally wants to clear 1mil a year .

WAY outsize expectations
I've thought that was about Linkedin? it sounds more about options trading....

Well regarding Linkedin - its worth having - you are searchable online and that could be useful at some point
Reply 98
I know Dabbous is a right pain to get a table at, but I was there.

Otherwise, plenty of people know me and have met many times. Some from here have interned with me.

Blah blah blah...

I'm sure you get this all the time on here, but could you be more of a real-life Patrick Bateman? Damn...
For Focus08:

The second problem is that he actually thinks he knows what he's talking about :frown:

Ok so where have you gained your superior knowledge from?

Quick Reply

Latest