The Student Room Group

To return or not to return?

Bought some sandals 1 month ago at Topshop.

They broke yesterday (strap came completely off the shoe).. I am annoyed.

Obviously worn them a few times (and they look like they've been worn), but I've had them for a month I haven't exactly been running marathons in them.

Still got the receipt so can I return them as faulty? Or should I just leave it? Made the critical mistake of expecting something from Topshop to last more than a month.. :rolleyes:

x
Reply 1
Email customer services - lazier than schlepping all the way to the shop only for them to not take them back, and you might get free vouchers.
Reply 2
Hey.
I've recently had a similar returns issue with Topshop. At first the sales assistant was really rude and point blank refused to do anything as I had worn the dress that I was trying to return. I then rightly stated that that the damage on the dress wasn't usual wear and tear (a load of the stitching was coming undone) and that it was faulty. You could say this too, as even though Topshop shoes aren't the best, they obviously should be expected to last more then a couple of wears over a course of a month.

As I was getting nowhere with the sales assistant, I asked to speak to the manager who immeadiatly gave me a refund and a voucher as compensation. Win.
Reply 3
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

Obviously worn them a few times (and they look like they've been worn), but I've had them for a month I haven't exactly been running marathons in them.

Still got the receipt so can I return them as faulty? Or should I just leave it? Made the critical mistake of expecting something from Topshop to last more than a month.. :rolleyes:

x

Yes, you should. I think you have a legal right to return faulty goods too... Threaten the law and they should give in :tongue:
Reply 4
Is topshop fairly cheap or not? I don't really know. But if they cost less than say £30 you shouldn't take them back/not really worth the bother. If more than £30 I think you should take them back.
Original post by wilko1991
Is topshop fairly cheap or not? I don't really know. But if they cost less than say £30 you shouldn't take them back/not really worth the bother. If more than £30 I think you should take them back.

They were in the sale, so not much.

Tbh it's more the principle than anything else. Only wore em 4/5 times.
Reply 6
I wouldn't return them then. Couldn't be bothered making a fuss and asking for a refund if it wasn't much money.
I think it's reasonable to expect a shoe to last more than a month and would argue that they aren't fit for purpose. However, seeing as it's not much money, I wouldn't personally bother with a special trip just to return them.
Reply 8
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

x

Sale of Goods act - must be fit for purpose therefore you're entitled to a refund.

I bought a bag from Sports Direct, broke within a month, took it back. Initially they refused to cough up but like someone else has already said, threaten the law and you'll get your money back :smile:
Shops usually have a set amount of days where you can return an item though. It's usually 28 days, so you might not be able to. Also, some shops won't refund sale items.
Reply 10
Original post by wilko1991

What if they are exactly £30? :smile:
Yes, take them back.

I bought a top at River Island 3 weeks ago, lost the receipt but took it back anyway and they gave me a voucher for the price it currently was £15.

I dont know what TopShop is like, but go back and speak to a manager. Most managers dont want customers emilaing customer service, because i would gurantee 90% customer service would have a go at them if you complained them not refunding- as long as you look genuine then they should do it even just out of goodwill.

This is assuming it has a topshop label- if it is one of their concessions you are going to need proof of purchase otherwise you could have bought it anywhere.
Original post by wibletg
Sale of Goods act - must be fit for purpose therefore you're entitled to a refund.

I bought a bag from Sports Direct, broke within a month, took it back. Initially they refused to cough up but like someone else has already said, threaten the law and you'll get your money back :smile:

Maybe, but even so, this debate comes up an awful lot in life- the customer still needs proof of purchase- whether it be a receipt or a bank statement. You are not entitled to anything without. Though most places will do it out of goodwill.
Original post by katehlouise
Shops usually have a set amount of days where you can return an item though. It's usually 28 days, so you might not be able to. Also, some shops won't refund sale items.

that is only for general refunds.

If it is fault it is a different matter and you have a 'reasonable' amount of time to return.

Sadly, that is where the dispute lies on what is a reasonable amount of time.
I think Topshop are usually quite good with returns and customer service in general - at least in my experience. I saw a woman take back a jacket that she had bought a couple of months previously, and had been worn but the buttons were all falling/coming apart, so they refunded her for it. If you're going to do it, be polite. Don't go all in guns-a-blazing like some people.
Reply 15
This is the worse time to return items when 90% of stock has gone into sale, you'll likely loose value even more. Just saying. :smile:
well if they have proof of purchase and its faulty, you HAVE to give a refund if its within a reasonable amount of time.
I would return them as they've broken after only a month of use.

Different shop but I'd worn a pair of walking boots for 8 weeks and had worn through the entire sole. I took them back and they had obviously been worn but I got a full refund as they weren't fit for the job. Boots should last for years!
Reply 18
If you kick up a fuss and ask to speak to the manager you can get basically whatever you want.
Remember the phrase 'This does not affect your statutory rights'
My mother has taught me well, we've managed to return faulty goods, outside the 28 days without a receipt.
Because shops are required to keep a copy of all receipts so my mum made them find it haha.
I even managed to get a the newer ipod when it came out as I'd just bought the older one a couple of weeks earlier. I let the battery on it run flat, took it back to the shop and said it wouldn't switch on. They gave me the new ipod as a replacement! (This wasn't the apple store btw, I think it was like a large Boots or something)

Quick Reply

Latest