The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The official UCL am I good enough / GCSE freak out thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
How do they compare to the likes of LSE and Durham in GCSE-sticklerness?

I got 1A* 4A 4B 3C at GCSE and Distinction* + AAB at AS, what do my chances look like?

They're definitely less stickler. I remember this guy who had a range of C's and D's at GCSEs (including english and math) after retakes but did decently at AS and got an offer for history.

You definitely have good chances. What course are you looking at? I had AAAB at AS and got an offer without any hassle so you really don't need to worry
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Anyone know the answer to this?

Idk about the other departments but the UCL maths department said they give very 'small weighting' to GCSEs and A2 predictions.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Original post by theonetruequeen
They're definitely less stickler. I remember this guy who had a range of C's and D's at GCSEs (including english and math) after retakes but did decently at AS and got an offer for history.

You definitely have good chances. What course are you looking at? I had AAAB at AS and got an offer without any hassle so you really don't need to worry

I'm applying for Law. I hope that won't mean it's too competitive... I'm hoping I can do a good LNAT though.
I am an A-Level student who is currently dreaming of going to UCL to do Medicine! I just got my GCSE results and achieved 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. For Medicine, the UCL website says that a B in GCSE English Language, and an B at GCSE Maths are needed. I met this and got a B in English Language and an A in Maths. I have just started Year 12 and have not done my A-Levels yet, but can anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in? I have been told that the top Universities are putting added emphasis on GCSE Results now!
Original post by dp00
I am an A-Level student who is currently dreaming of going to UCL to do Medicine! I just got my GCSE results and achieved 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs. For Medicine, the UCL website says that a B in GCSE English Language, and an B at GCSE Maths are needed. I met this and got a B in English Language and an A in Maths. I have just started Year 12 and have not done my A-Levels yet, but can anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting in? I have been told that the top Universities are putting added emphasis on GCSE Results now!

Don't see why not, most of the emphasis is on your A-levels but if your A-levels are not up to par, then they could look at your GCSE's for reference
Before you do anything else you should probably make up your mind. Is your dream Economics at LSE or Medicine at UCL?
Original post by The_JoKeR
Before you do anything else you should probably make up your mind. Is your dream Economics at LSE or Medicine at UCL?
I have not decided yet! But I love the idea of both!
Does anyone know the average/acceptable no. of A* at GCSE for medics at UCL?
Reply 648
I got rejected from UCL for English with 9A* and 2A, as well as A*A*A, with full marks in all my English coursework lol. I do Philosophy there now though, through adjustment, and love it:smile:
Reply 649
Sorry thats my GCSE, then A2 marks
Original post by ANAREY1
I got rejected from UCL for English with 9A* and 2A, as well as A*A*A, with full marks in all my English coursework lol. I do Philosophy there now though, through adjustment, and love it:smile:

When people like you post I get scared. Haha. :tongue:

What was your predicted though?
(edited 7 years ago)
Heya there, I am a student going into UCL coming this September and I didn't get top grades for my GCSE's.UCL will make you an offer if you achieve good grades in AS regarding the subject you want to apply for, GCSE's play a small part, the only real requirement for GCSE's is a pass in a language.As long as you achieve well in AS Levels, then fear not about your GCSE's hindering your chances, I achieved mainly B's and C's for GCSE's, but worked hard for AS Level, and came out with AAAB, and not once was I questioned about my GCSE grades.If you would like more help just message me, would love to help! Good luck with your application next year, hope it goes for the best!
Does UCL care more about AS grades or predicted A-Level grades?
Original post by Pluieparler
Does UCL care more about AS grades or predicted A-Level grades?

I think it's safe to say that for almost all universities, AS grades are more important in the decision process as they more realistically (unless for extenuating circumstances which should be explained in the reference) portray your potential. Referees are known to inflate predicted grades, and for some under predict, such as refusing to predict an A* despite a 90%+ average at AS.
Reply 654
I'm currently taking a 2nd gap year and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply to UCL for the following courses

- Statistics, Economics and Finance
- Management Science
- Economics

I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. Along with a strong personal statement do you think I have a shot ?
I want to study Human Sciences at UCL. I got 4 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, ABCC at AS and predicted AAA at A-Level. Do you think I have a chance at getting an offer or are my grades not good enough?
I got five A*s, four As and a B at GCSE at a school which isn't the strongest academically (I came second or third my year, depending on what you're going by) and was wondering if I could get in for Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilisation? I know a lot depends on A-Levels and your Personal Statement, but is it worth applying? I don't want to waste an application if I don't have a chance :smile:
Original post by LN1234
I got five A*s, four As and a B at GCSE at a school which isn't the strongest academically (I came second or third my year, depending on what you're going by) and was wondering if I could get in for Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilisation? I know a lot depends on A-Levels and your Personal Statement, but is it worth applying? I don't want to waste an application if I don't have a chance :smile:

They're pretty good grades.

I got 6 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE and went to UCL :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
They're pretty good grades.

I got 6 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE and went to UCL :smile:

Thanks! I'd love to go to UCL so as long as my A-Levels go smoothly, I'll definitely think about applying :smile:
Reply 659
I haven't seen anyone hear ask about the Bsc/MSci Earth science course so what sort of chances would I have considering my 'questionable' GCSE's + are my AS/A level choices favourable for the earth science degree???

GCSE's: AABBBCCCD

AS Level (and subjects):

Geography: A (193/200 UMS)
Environmental Studies: A (178/200 UMS)
Biology: B (Not sure about the UMS but paper 1 bent me over hence the B)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending