The Student Room Group

Mathematics Applicants 2012

Thought I'd be a bit keen and start it off a bit early. Who's applying for Mathematics in 2012 and where are you thinking of applying to?

GCSE: 2A*, 5A, 3B
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Considering: (G101) Nottingham, Warwick, Southampton, Imperial, KCL, UEA and a few others.
Preparation: Reading mathematics related books, Practice STEP papers, finance related work experience, going to mathematics lectures.

Current Prospective Applicants:
IcedTea&PotNoodle
ben-smith
ilovedubstep
chibi_oc
Roscosmos
maths134
dnumberwang
Hoody93
hassi94
laughylolly

Edit: Everyone seems to be doing it anyway but post GCSE's, AS Levels, Possible Universities and how you are preparing for your application.

Hmm interesting: why the neg?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is a bit early but I guess I'm included in that group.
Original post by ben-smith
This is a bit early but I guess I'm included in that group.

I know but just checking out my competition. Medicine, Oxford and Cambridge all have 2012 threads so thought may as well do one for maths. Any idea where you want to look at?
Cambridge/Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, LSE... I live in Oxford so I'm not sure whether I should apply there. I'm going to go to some open days so that I can form some more opinions.
Cambridge/Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, LSE... I live in Oxford so I'm not sure whether I should apply there. I'm going to go to some open days so that I can form some more opinions.

Ye, I wouldn't want to live too close to home either. I suppose the fact that oxford is one of the greatest universities in Britain sort of overrides the fact it's close to home.
Hmm apparently no-one wants to do maths.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle

GCSEs: 6A*s 3As 2Bs
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Economics.
Universities: oxbridge (one of the two), imperial, warwick, ucl/bath/bristol, maybe royal holloway

Why am I getting neg reps :/ ?
(edited 13 years ago)

Also, have you done any preparation for applying? Like reading books or doing maths problems. I'm not sure what I can do now to strengthen my application.
Original post by ilovedubstep
Also, have you done any preparation for applying? Like reading books or doing maths problems. I'm not sure what I can do now to strengthen my application.

Awesome grades and good subject choices btw. As for preparation I'm currently trying to find work experience in the finance industry and found the Cambridge maths reading list. Although I wont apply there I'm going to order about 4 or 5 this weekend and read them through the summer. http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/readinglist.pdf is the list if your interested. How are you planning on preparing?
More info:
GCSEs: 9A*s,3As
AS levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chem, History, Spanish.
Prep: STEP, reading and getting work experience. I'm doing some at the oxford physics department and I'm trying to get a nuffield bursary.
Awesome grades and good subject choices btw. As for preparation I'm currently trying to find work experience in the finance industry and found the Cambridge maths reading list. Although I wont apply there I'm going to order about 4 or 5 this weekend and read them through the summer. http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/readinglist.pdf is the list if your interested. How are you planning on preparing?

Yeah I've read some of those already, I'm not sure really. This test is good because it is based on c1 and c2 but it requires some abstract thinking to solve the questions. http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests. I think I am going to start practising STEP over the summer, but I'm not sure really.
Original post by ilovedubstep
Yeah I've read some of those already, I'm not sure really. This test is good because it is based on c1 and c2 but it requires some abstract thinking to solve the questions. http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests. I think I am going to start practising STEP over the summer, but I'm not sure really.

I'll probably practice STEP over the summer too. What month can you take the STEP exams? Also which have you read? Can you recommend any?

Hmm interesting idea, I'm quite tempted and I do match the criteria. I do however live in London so It would be a pain to get to for just 3 hours. I'll think about it over the week and see if I can be bothered.
Reply 14

A or A* in your mathematics GCSE, and Bs or higher for all other subjects

Fascists
Original post by Pheylan
Fascists

A bit strong don't you think? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Just purchased my first three mathematical reads. If anyones read any of them, what did you think?

1) The music of the primes: Why an unsolved problem in mathematics matters.
Marcus Du Sautoy.

2) The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking.
Simon Singh.

3) Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy.
Bertrand Russell.
What a coincidence, I am reading no3 as well. Am finding it a bit dry but quite good.
What a coincidence, I am reading no3 as well. Am finding it a bit dry but quite good.

You may have done the same thing as i did. I was looking for philosophy of mathematics by david bostock but it was like 20 pounds so i figured it was a cheap alternative.
You may have done the same thing as i did. I was looking for philosophy of mathematics by david bostock but it was like 20 pounds so i figured it was a cheap alternative.

Can't you just get the books out your school library?