The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JongKey
So what about when you're on the motorway and driving at 70 mph - does the box take that into account? How would it know that you're speeding?

Its GPS, it tracks it all. Driving 70 is fine, all it does is that it makes sure you're going at/below the speed limit. Stay in the speed limit and you'll be fine!

Basically sometimes chavs go 40/50/60 in a 30 zone....That's all the detect :smile: but yeah PM me if you want it cheaper, I am getting mine for quite a good deal lol
Reply 21
Omg I would HATE this insurance! My insurance with admiral is 600 and I don't have to put up with any of that!!
Reply 22
Original post by Sadsnail
Omg I would HATE this insurance! My insurance with admiral is 600 and I don't have to put up with any of that!!

Unfortunately if you're a young driver, you'll either be paying 2500+ or on this insurance, lower that 1000. How old are you car you're driving?
Reply 23
Original post by Doctor.
Unfortunately if you're a young driver, you'll either be paying 2500+ or on this insurance, lower that 1000. How old are you car you're driving?

I am 19, I have had the same insurance for 2 years now. My car is 2 years old as well
Reply 24
I am 19, I have had the same insurance for 2 years now. My car is 2 years old as well

On parents insurance? :smile:

That's a pretty good deal tbh. Admiral quoted me a small fortune. where as the CO-OP don't care how new the car it or anything, just the engine size lol.
Reply 25
Original post by Doctor.
On parents insurance? :smile:

That's a pretty good deal tbh. Admiral quoted me a small fortune. where as the CO-OP don't care how new the car it or anything, just the engine size lol.

Yeah on parents obviously :smile: yeah mine engine is 1.4?? I don't know what admiral look at, but we have a multicar policies with lots of cars on the same one
Reply 26
Yeah on parents obviously :smile: yeah mine engine is 1.4?? I don't know what admiral look at, but we have a multicar policies with lots of cars on the same one

That's probably it then :tongue:. The thing I like about the COOP is that all I have to do is drive about in this tracked car for 2 year or so and then I am able to convert the No Claims Bonus (I am a named driver). The COOP will convert them to 2 year real NCB as if I am a main driver. That only happens if I switch to their normal insurance after the 2 years :biggrin:.

Pretty good deal IMO :smile:
Reply 27
Also if anyone needs help with getting cheap insurances, spesh if you're living in bad postcode areas. This instance is amazing, PM me and ill help you get your quote down to under £1000 :biggrin:. Just trying to help others out noe that I got mine sorted. Seriously I spent WEEKS looking for cheap insurance :angry:
Reply 28
I'm yet to drive the car, even tho im finally insured lol. I want to drive abit freely before the smartbox is installed :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by bijesh12
I'm yet to drive the car, even tho im finally insured lol. I want to drive abit freely before the smartbox is installed :tongue:

drive as much as you can before hand so you can get used to driving. Then you'll be less likely to make mistakes when you've got the box lol.
Reply 30
How is driving late at night or in the early morning "dangerous".
Fewer cars on the road at these times = less chance of contacting one of them!
Reply 31
Original post by JC.

I know exactly what you mean :smile:. Although they're more worried about the chavs who go out drink driving and ending up crashing into another person. It's not too bad really.
Original post by JC.

What you're saying is logical but the insurance company is generalising in that "most boy racers will drive at night so if the person is willing not to drive at night then they're not a boy racer who's going to crash". It's hard to explain, and what I wrote is probably grammatically incorrect but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.
Reply 33
Also guys I have been testing out the system since I got it. Its quite good. Today I went at 32 in a 30 zone so I will report back and see if I got penalised and if so by how much. Other than that everything seemed perfect. I've got 5s for everything. Cornering is easy...went round a corner at 10-15. Wasn't penalised. I did get 4.6 for acceleration/braking which was a test to are the system working lol.

So far it seems like a good system. Will report back with the 32 in a 30 zone
Reply 34
Just got the report back from yesterday and here are my scores:
Sunday 20th Nov
Speed: 5.00
Accelerating/braking: 4.88
Dangerous cornering: 5.00
Dangerous times: 5.00

They didn't penalise me for going 32 in a 30 zone .I wasn't speeding fro long, I didn't realise I was speeding being honest lol. Either way, they didn't care about it.

I was doing some sharper corners at 10-15 again and again, nothing happened. Accelerating and Braking -I can see why I got 4.88. I was at some points slowing down really quick and accelerating quite fast nevertheless 4.88 is a pretty good score!

So far system is good. It does make me drive more carefully, but all I really make sure of is that I am not speeding. I am not exactly a rough driver but still I am getting 5s which means in 90 days I will be getting a 15% discount :biggrin:.
Reply 35
Original post by Doctor.
Just got the report back from yesterday and here are my scores:
Sunday 20th Nov
Speed: 5.00
Accelerating/braking: 4.88
Dangerous cornering: 5.00
Dangerous times: 5.00

They didn't penalise me for going 32 in a 30 zone .I wasn't speeding fro long, I didn't realise I was speeding being honest lol. Either way, they didn't care about it.

I was doing some sharper corners at 10-15 again and again, nothing happened. Accelerating and Braking -I can see why I got 4.88. I was at some points slowing down really quick and accelerating quite fast nevertheless 4.88 is a pretty good score!

So far system is good. It does make me drive more carefully, but all I really make sure of is that I am not speeding. I am not exactly a rough driver but still I am getting 5s which means in 90 days I will be getting a 15% discount :biggrin:.

How much will you be paying after the discount?
Reply 36
Original post by Doctor.
Its GPS, it tracks it all. Driving 70 is fine, all it does is that it makes sure you're going at/below the speed limit. Stay in the speed limit and you'll be fine!

Basically sometimes chavs go 40/50/60 in a 30 zone....That's all the detect :smile: but yeah PM me if you want it cheaper, I am getting mine for quite a good deal lol

I'll be getting a car in January/February so i'll have a look at other insurances and try out this box as well - i'm not a mad driver so it'll be good to see cheap insurance for once lol. However, the problem is that my dad will be the main driver on the car and there is no way my dad will be staying under speed limits - he's been driving for so many years that he drives in a safe way by his standards but probably not by that box's standards lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by JongKey
How much will you be paying after the discount?

Currently in total I pay £1000 a year (I live in a low rated area). I pay monthly like £90 for 10 months. (£300 paid upfront). After 3 months is up, they'll check my GPS data, which is currently all 5s and they'll give me a discount based on that. 15% is the max they'll take off but if I keep getting in 4/5 then it'll be a 15% discount -confirmed by the people on the phone lol.
Reply 38
Original post by JongKey
I'll be getting a car in January/February so i'll have a look at other insurances and try out this box as well - i'm not a mad driver so it'll be good to see cheap insurance for once lol. However, the problem is that my dad will be the main driver on the car and there is no way my dad will be staying under speed limits - he's been driving for so many years that he drives in a safe way by his standards but probably not by that box's standards lol.

The box looks for speed limits so if he stays exactly on 70 on moterways, it'll be fine. Alternativly I would just get a new cheap car and just get the insurance on it -don't let dad drive it much etc
Reply 39
Went for a long drive yesterday and I'm still on all 5s. I like this insurance :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending