The Student Room Group

Inaccurate films that **** you off

I think that when it comes to watching Hollywood blockbusters you have to take them with a pinch of salt and accept the fact that they may not be 100% inaccurate, but every now and then there is a film that is contains such abhorrent scientific or historical inaccuracies they simply cannot be forgiven.

Last night I watched 'The Core' on TV. The film has been around for a few years but this was the first time I had watched it, and let me just say that I have never been so angry with a film in my life. In this film, the Earth's core stops spinning for no apparent reason which threatens the planet, so a group of scientists build a ship that can travel to the centre of the Earth so they can set off some nuclear explosions to get it spinning again. Now there are a number of problems with this:

a) Why would the Earth's core randomly stop spinning? Even if if this were to happen the energy dissipated from the sudden stop of an iron ball the size of the moon would be enormous, where did it all go?

b) In this film they dig to the centre of the Earth. Bear in mind our planet is about 6000km deep and in real life we haven't dug any deeper than about 15km because the pressures and temperatures make it literally impossible. Their explanation? A magical laser that can dig through anything and a ship made of unobtanium (seriously). Sorry, what? Where has this technology been all our lives? Bear in mind this isn't a film set on a technologically advanced alien planet in the year 2990, it's a film set on Earth, right now.

c) The plan to get the Earth's core spinning again is to set off some nuclear bombs. This is even more retarded that the bomb in Armageddon that can apparently blow apart an asteroid the size of Texas. I believe I have already mentioned that the core is a big iron ball the size of the moon, but sure a couple of well placed nukes will get it spinning again.

d) At the end of the film the crew simply fly out from the centre of Earth and emerge at the surface. Never mind the increased gravitational pull acting against them, or the fact that everything would simply collapse inwards filling the hole, they have a magic ship that can do anything.

Sorry but it doesn't take a geophysics professor to tell you just how stupid this film is, it genuinely made me angry.

So that's my rant, what about you TSR? Which films are so inaccurate they genuinely annoy you? Scientific inaccuracies, historical inaccuracies, massive plot holes, whatever, which films are just so stupid they cannot be forgiven?

Scroll to see replies

welcome to Hollywood Logic.
Anything by Micheal Moore
Reply 3
Dirty Dancing.
Original post by lukas1051
I think that when it comes to watching Hollywood blockbusters you have to take them with a pinch of salt and accept the fact that they may not be 100% inaccurate, but every now and then there is a film that is contains such abhorrent scientific or historical inaccuracies they simply cannot be forgiven.

Last night I watched 'The Core' on TV. The film has been around for a few years but this was the first time I had watched it, and let me just say that I have never been so angry with a film in my life. In this film, the Earth's core stops spinning for no apparent reason which threatens the planet, so a group of scientists build a ship that can travel to the centre of the Earth so they can set off some nuclear explosions to get it spinning again. Now there are a number of problems with this:

a) Why would the Earth's core randomly stop spinning? Even if if this were to happen the energy dissipated from the sudden stop of an iron ball the size of the moon would be enormous, where did it all go?

b) In this film they dig to the centre of the Earth. Bear in mind our planet is about 6000km deep and in real life we haven't dug any deeper than about 15km because the pressures and temperatures make it literally impossible. Their explanation? A magical laser that can dig through anything and a ship made of unobtanium (seriously). Sorry, what? Where has this technology been all our lives? Bear in mind this isn't a film set on a technologically advanced alien planet in the year 2990, it's a film set on Earth, right now.

c) The plan to get the Earth's core spinning again is to set off some nuclear bombs. This is even more retarded that the bomb in Armageddon that can apparently blow apart an asteroid the size of Texas. I believe I have already mentioned that the core is a big iron ball the size of the moon, but sure a couple of well placed nukes will get it spinning again.

d) At the end of the film the crew simply fly out from the centre of Earth and emerge at the surface. Never mind the increased gravitational pull acting against them, or the fact that everything would simply collapse inwards filling the hole, they have a magic ship that can do anything.

Sorry but it doesn't take a geophysics professor to tell you just how stupid this film is, it genuinely made me angry.

So that's my rant, what about you TSR? Which films are so inaccurate they genuinely annoy you? Scientific inaccuracies, historical inaccuracies, massive plot holes, whatever, which films are just so stupid they cannot be forgiven?

A Series of Unfortunate Events.. enough said.
Reply 5
Original post by Tyler.
Dirty Dancing.

Hahaha, that reminds me of this

Titanic.
The Superman film where he had to choose which missile to stop because he wasn't fast enough to stop both of them, when he is a being that can travel at about the speed of light and would've been able to easily stop them both in under a second. So unrealistic :fuhrer:
Reply 8
Original post by Id and Ego seek

Titanic.

Oh wait... it's me.
Reply 9
Titanic, a ship that is designed not to sink just happens to sink on its first voyage? Yea right.
Reply 10
The Moon Landing Documentary! Failed across the board with that!

EDIT: Dam, I didnt know the moon landing really touched the hearts of people enought to not have a joke :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Snakes on a plane

The worst bit is when they ring the snake expert and he says 'they are poisonous' FFS only two species of snake are poisonous, it is VENEMOUS
Grrrrrrrr

Also after the snake ate the dog it wouldn't need to eat for a week or so, yet it eats the man straight after!!

And if they can fill a plane with snakes, why not just plant a bomb?!

The bit where they use corn snakes and say they are poisonous makes me chuckle though.
300 :frown: a story that had so much potential and they go and make it into a kinky graphic novel film where Xerxes looks like the guy down at the local piercing parlour but in his underwear. Not to mention the immortals :frown:
Braveheart.
Reply 14
Any film that uses the "I have superpowers. They come from my brain, most people only use 3% of their brain. I use more." ARGH! You ruin so many films and books I was enjoying!!!
Reply 15
Generally most sciencey disaster movies; 2012, Sunshine, most asteroid impact ones. Having said that some I don't mind, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief.
You do know that actually happened, right?

Pffft where'd you hear that? bs if I've ever seen it.
You do know that actually happened, right?

You haven't quite grasped the humour in his post, good sir.

You mentioned it already but yeah... Armageddon.

I's a good film nonetheless but some of the science is cringe-worthy, I heard that NASA actually uses it on their staff to see whether if they could find all the bad science.
Reply 19
THE CORE!?! :angry::angry::angry:

We watched this film in geography :nothing:

Quick Reply

Latest