The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by Ghille Dhu
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:, I will try the 'willing myself away' one. I know it can be controlled and I will try and focus my thoughts :redface:

It is very difficult to control, but we can only try right? :sadnod:
Reply 721
Original post by Ghille Dhu
I'm sorry you feel so badly at the moment. You say you're on medication, have you got any other support? Have you spoken to your GP? There may be 'talking therapies' like CBT that could help?

Hope things get better soon :smile:

Not really.

Tried CBT and it didn't work for me. :frown:
Where's my trich gang at?

First time posting for a while :K:
The urge is getting the better of me and I can't stop. I can already feel the patches coming :cry2:
Original post by This Honest
Where's my trich gang at?

First time posting for a while :K:
The urge is getting the better of me and I can't stop. I can already feel the patches coming :cry2:

hey honey
awwww nooo are things particularly stressful atm?
:hugs:
Original post by kaylafrances
hey honey
awwww nooo are things particularly stressful atm?
:hugs:

Hey :wavey:

Nah, not really stressful, it's just that my hair has fully grown now and I usually pull when it's fully grown :sigh:
I wear hats all the time indoors to prevent my pulling and when I go outside, I always wear a hat. Summer/spring is fast approaching with hot/nice weathers upon us, I can't wear a hat then :sad: coz it'll just look weird.

How are you coping?
Hey :wavey:

Nah, not really stressful, it's just that my hair has fully grown now and I usually pull when it's fully grown :sigh:
I wear hats all the time indoors to prevent my pulling and when I go outside, I always wear a hat. Summer/spring is fast approaching with hot/nice weathers upon us, I can't wear a hat then :sad: coz it'll just look weird.

How are you coping?

Ah i really think you should look into some sort of counselling, otherwise i dont see a way out bab :frown: hats are really useful, and no ive been wearing a hat this past week and tbh i doubt this weathers gonna last much longer till summer
You need to change the way you think and the attitude towards your hair as a coping mechanism. I know how hard it is though, it really is easier said than done but you've always got me and popple for support :smile:

I'm okay :smile: i shouldnt think like this but it really is/used to be inevitable that my hair would get really bad in such a stressful time but i'm just trying to keep busy and not sit with my hand near my hair :smile:
Ah i really think you should look into some sort of counselling, otherwise i dont see a way out bab :frown: hats are really useful, and no ive been wearing a hat this past week and tbh i doubt this weathers gonna last much longer till summer
You need to change the way you think and the attitude towards your hair as a coping mechanism. I know how hard it is though, it really is easier said than done but you've always got me and popple for support :smile:

I'm okay :smile: i shouldnt think like this but it really is/used to be inevitable that my hair would get really bad in such a stressful time but i'm just trying to keep busy and not sit with my hand near my hair :smile:

:sigh: I already discussed counselling with my parents but they think it's a waste of time and the only person that can stop it, is me.
Hats are useful but the urge to pull is so great that I still manage to pull with the hat on.
Not to sound big-headed but I'm such a confident guy but my hair is putting me down whenever it grows and pathces form :sad: I feel so inferior at times when I see other guys hair.
I HATE people touching my hair now.

Yeah, that's nice to know. :h:
This thread is the only place where I can fully express myself.

My pulling always occurs when I'm reading and I read a lot, so it's just so frustrating :emo:
:sigh: I already discussed counselling with my parents but they think it's a waste of time and the only person that can stop it, is me.
Hats are useful but the urge to pull is so great that I still manage to pull with the hat on.
Not to sound big-headed but I'm such a confident guy but my hair is putting me down whenever it grows and pathces form :sad: I feel so inferior at times when I see other guys hair.
I HATE people touching my hair now.

Yeah, that's nice to know. :h:
This thread is the only place where I can fully express myself.

My pulling always occurs when I'm reading and I read a lot, so it's just so frustrating :emo:

Tbh i also thought like that, still do maybe, but the evidence is there that people fully stop with help and regular one on one sessions. Just imagine how liberated you'll feel when you're free of it. I know its really really hard :hugs:

I know what you mean. When all my hairs grown back and ive got rid of this i can even have the option to get a head massage. Something i've never ever had lol
Maybe try wearing mittens/gloves when reading? I also have that problem :frown:
Tbh i also thought like that, still do maybe, but the evidence is there that people fully stop with help and regular one on one sessions. Just imagine how liberated you'll feel when you're free of it. I know its really really hard :hugs:

I know what you mean. When all my hairs grown back and ive got rid of this i can even have the option to get a head massage. Something i've never ever had lol
Maybe try wearing mittens/gloves when reading? I also have that problem :frown:

Well, since I'm gonna be 18 in less than 2 weeks, I'll be legally an adult, so I may take this matter into my own hands rather than doing everything by my parents.

Gloves :awesome:
I remember doing this a while while back but it didn't go down well, i would always take it off and away I go with the pull :sigh:
I'll try it again :yep:
Reply 729
Original post by popple7
x

Where are you hun? Were you accidently unsubscribed from this thread by any chance? :tongue: Been dying to find out about what's been going on with you! :redface:
Good morning everyone :wavey:

So things have been on the mend now :smile: My counselling has actually helped, feeling much positive, good things have happened for everyone I know and still celebrating for a particular user on TSR getting into med :mmm: Overall, I'm making 2012 my year!

Original post by ViceVersa
Reply 731
Original post by cpdavis
Good morning everyone :wavey:

So things have been on the mend now :smile: My counselling has actually helped, feeling much positive, good things have happened for everyone I know and still celebrating for a particular user on TSR getting into med :mmm: Overall, I'm making 2012 my year!

Morning! :hello:

YAY! That's awesome news! And awwwwwwww cp! :love: You're inspiring me to be more positive, as I've had a couple of ****ty days :sigh: so thank you! :awesome: I'm still celebrating too! :yeah:
Reply 732
Original post by ViceVersa
Where are you hun? Were you accidently unsubscribed from this thread by any chance? :tongue: Been dying to find out about what's been going on with you! :redface:

woops, i was! weirddd. OMG CONGRATS ON KEELE! ahhhhh that's amazing! and they got in touch so quickly, you clearly are too awesome for words lady! :yay: sorry you've had a bad time since then, keep remembering how awesome you felt a few days ago and how awesome it's going to be when you're at lovely keele!

im alright thanks, life's been boring. got an annoying cough at the mo so have been taking out my frustration on my left eyebrow :ashamed2: it was taking ages to grow back anyway meh. and my left lashes have suffered a bit too. hope i feel a bit more in control when im well again.

dont think it helps that im burying my head in the sand about a lot of things... feel like my life's at a stand-still.. a really boring stand-still. but meh, im scared of facing up to everything! keep my head in the sand a bit longer :s-smilie:

aw sorry you've been having a tough time dude! what sometimes works for me is when i notice im pulling, focus on the really really bad feelings you have AFTER you've pulled loads and how badly you regret doing it. this sometimes helps to kill the urges and make you think about the consequences of what you're doing and stop.

there are hats you can wear in summer too, straw trilbys? or is that too indie/lame? idk some guys look hot in them!
Original post by popple7

aw sorry you've been having a tough time dude! what sometimes works for me is when i notice im pulling, focus on the really really bad feelings you have AFTER you've pulled loads and how badly you regret doing it. this sometimes helps to kill the urges and make you think about the consequences of what you're doing and stop.

there are hats you can wear in summer too, straw trilbys? or is that too indie/lame? idk some guys look hot in them!

Hey :smile:

I do think about how I would feel afterwards, but it doesn't make a difference :grumble:
I think Kay's suggestion about wearing gloves is pretty good but i haven't tried it yet since i can't find my gloves :rolleyes:

How are you coping by the way?
I'll check out those hats too :tongue:

e: just had a look at those hats, :no: I don't like them at all. Sorry!
Reply 734
Hey :smile:

I do think about how I would feel afterwards, but it doesn't make a difference :grumble:
I think Kay's suggestion about wearing gloves is pretty good but i haven't tried it yet since i can't find my gloves :rolleyes:

How are you coping by the way?
I'll check out those hats too :tongue:

e: just had a look at those hats, :no: I don't like them at all. Sorry!

aww :frown: i tried gloves and that didnt last long, hopefully you'll have more luck! i also find keeping busy is the best way to stop pulling... but it's hard when you're as lazy as i am :tongue:

im ok thanks, lost a chunk of my left eyebrow and some lashes :grumble: but it's all pretty easy to disguise with makeup. going away for this weekend with my best friend though so im a little worried she'll comment on my eyebrow when ive taken my makeup off.

haha that's alright, im not a fan either! they are a bit too pretentious-indie-boy!
Original post by popple7
aww :frown: i tried gloves and that didnt last long, hopefully you'll have more luck! i also find keeping busy is the best way to stop pulling... but it's hard when you're as lazy as i am :tongue:

im ok thanks, lost a chunk of my left eyebrow and some lashes :grumble: but it's all pretty easy to disguise with makeup. going away for this weekend with my best friend though so im a little worried she'll comment on my eyebrow when ive taken my makeup off.

haha that's alright, im not a fan either! they are a bit too pretentious-indie-boy!

What do you mean by busy?
What I usually do is:
-come back from school
-do work and pull
-take a break like playing on my ipod and pull
rinse and repeat
-night time e.g now, watch tv and occasionaly pull
-when i'm in bed, pull

:sad:

:redface:
Doesn't it hurt if you pull your eyebrows. It hurts a lot for me and I rarely do it. Hopefully it'll grow back soon but how quick. :dontknow:
Girls with trich can easily disguise but guys ain't got nadda, apart from hats. I'm NOT wearing make-up :tongue:
If your friend asks you about it, I wish you luck coz I ain't got a clue how to cover that up.
Reply 736
What do you mean by busy?
What I usually do is:
-come back from school
-do work and pull
-take a break like playing on my ipod and pull
rinse and repeat
-night time e.g now, watch tv and occasionaly pull
-when i'm in bed, pull

:sad:

:redface:
Doesn't it hurt if you pull your eyebrows. It hurts a lot for me and I rarely do it. Hopefully it'll grow back soon but how quick. :dontknow:
Girls with trich can easily disguise but guys ain't got nadda, apart from hats. I'm NOT wearing make-up :tongue:
If your friend asks you about it, I wish you luck coz I ain't got a clue how to cover that up.

aww poor you! :frown: my pulling stops when im busy doing something, unless im sat down at home then i find it hard. going for walks or doing household chores helps too.

it does hurt, lashes are worse than brows. but it's a good pain, as grim as that sounds. it's really relieving and satisfying, like scratching a bad itch. that's why i dont pull from my scalp, you dont really feel it.

just gonna be honest if my friend asks me about it... she's really cool so she'll be fine about it, but im just worried about her making a joke about the state of my brows and then ill have to explain why and it will be awkward :s-smilie:

are your patches really noticeable then? shame trich makes you keep your hair short. it's the most annoying thing, i dont know why we do it to ourselves! especially because i wasnt like this at all 2yrs ago. but now i cant imagine NOT having trich!
Original post by popple7
aww poor you! :frown: my pulling stops when im busy doing something, unless im sat down at home then i find it hard. going for walks or doing household chores helps too.

it does hurt, lashes are worse than brows. but it's a good pain, as grim as that sounds. it's really relieving and satisfying, like scratching a bad itch. that's why i dont pull from my scalp, you dont really feel it.

just gonna be honest if my friend asks me about it... she's really cool so she'll be fine about it, but im just worried about her making a joke about the state of my brows and then ill have to explain why and it will be awkward :s-smilie:

are your patches really noticeable then? shame trich makes you keep your hair short. it's the most annoying thing, i dont know why we do it to ourselves! especially because i wasnt like this at all 2yrs ago. but now i cant imagine NOT having trich!

I don't do a lot of chores :colondollar: in fact most of the time, I'm in my bed, on the sofa or sitting on the chair in front of my desk e.g RIGHT NOW :lol:

Nah, eyebrows are worse :tongue:
It's relieving, for me the scalp is the most relief source on my body which sucks because then I have to fear about getting patches.

I still don't trust my mates ENOUGH to talk to them about something serious like this. Good luck if you decide to tell her.

I have a patch on my left side of my scalp. When I get a haircut, the patch is not noticable because my hair is short at that time. When my hair grows, that patched area doesn't grow at all hence the patch :sigh: I have to comb it a LOT to try and disguise it but it never works. :s-smilie:

yeah, my hair doesn't grow that fast so i can't get any cool hairstyles.
Have you been counselling before? If so, what did they tell you?
Reply 738
I don't do a lot of chores :colondollar: in fact most of the time, I'm in my bed, on the sofa or sitting on the chair in front of my desk e.g RIGHT NOW :lol:

Nah, eyebrows are worse :tongue:
It's relieving, for me the scalp is the most relief source on my body which sucks because then I have to fear about getting patches.

I still don't trust my mates ENOUGH to talk to them about something serious like this. Good luck if you decide to tell her.

I have a patch on my left side of my scalp. When I get a haircut, the patch is not noticable because my hair is short at that time. When my hair grows, that patched area doesn't grow at all hence the patch :sigh: I have to comb it a LOT to try and disguise it but it never works. :s-smilie:

yeah, my hair doesn't grow that fast so i can't get any cool hairstyles.
Have you been counselling before? If so, what did they tell you?

haha, wish i could get away with not doing chores! i dont do much though, most of the time im just sat about watching nonsense on youtube or dvds :tongue: i find i pull a lot if im too hot too, which is weird!

so glad i dont get that relieved feeling from scalp pulling... i really can live with my lashes and brows being sparse, but having head patches must be sooo awful! seriously, you have my sympathy dude! it must be tough...especially being a boy as well! i couldnt imagine talking about trich with my boy mates.

so is your patch permanent do you reckon? or is that just a spot you pick from a lot? you could lie about it and say it's a scar or something? also, i dunno if it's any good but dont boots sell spray on hair...for disguising bald patches? if you used summat like that, combined with styling your hair...might give you a bit more confidence about the patch :smile:

think im going through my calm phase now though... you know when you've had a bad phase of pulling and then it just seems to go away for a bit... hopefully anyway! sick of filling in my eyebrows with pencil....always terrified of overdoing it and looking like a drag queen :rolleyes: and when it rains... god, i panic that ill lose an eyebrow every freakin time!
Original post by popple7
haha, wish i could get away with not doing chores! i dont do much though, most of the time im just sat about watching nonsense on youtube or dvds :tongue: i find i pull a lot if im too hot too, which is weird!

so glad i dont get that relieved feeling from scalp pulling... i really can live with my lashes and brows being sparse, but having head patches must be sooo awful! seriously, you have my sympathy dude! it must be tough...especially being a boy as well! i couldnt imagine talking about trich with my boy mates.

so is your patch permanent do you reckon? or is that just a spot you pick from a lot? you could lie about it and say it's a scar or something? also, i dunno if it's any good but dont boots sell spray on hair...for disguising bald patches? if you used summat like that, combined with styling your hair...might give you a bit more confidence about the patch :smile:

think im going through my calm phase now though... you know when you've had a bad phase of pulling and then it just seems to go away for a bit... hopefully anyway! sick of filling in my eyebrows with pencil....always terrified of overdoing it and looking like a drag queen :rolleyes: and when it rains... god, i panic that ill lose an eyebrow every freakin time!

Yup, being a boy makes is harder and of course, as a boy, you have guy mates but none of my guy mates can know about this. They've joked about my patch but they don't actually know the underlining reasons.
I think it is which is sad because I rarely pull from there. I don't remember when I had hair on the patched area :sigh:
I hate lying but I guess this is an exception to avoid humiliation perhaps :redface:
I'll check that out soon, never knew you can disguise patches :erm:
If I didn't have my patch, my confidence would definetely improve in all areas especially in the women's department :wink: I just deny myself to make a move on a girl because I think she's not going to want a guy with a bald patch :sad:

The only calm phase I get is when I get my haircut and my hair stays low for a couple of weeks :lol:

Oh gosh, I hate it when it rains too. For some reason, my bald patch becomes more obvious when it rains. So I'm forced to wear a hat when it rains. When I get to school, I have to take my hat off. This makes my hair all messy and the bald patch is more obvious.
Solution: go to the boy's toilet and take my hat off, and quickly comb my hair before anyone sees :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest