The Student Room Group

So Al Megrahi is finally dead

Scroll to see replies

Megrahi was tried on insufficient evidence. There is still little evidence to suggest that it was him that was the perpetrator of the Lockerbie bombing so I don't understand why so many people are so adamant on rejoicing at the death of someone who is yet to be proven guilty with hard, irrefutable evidence.
Reply 21
Original post by uttamo
Why did he get a hero's welcome when he went back to Libya? Why were people cheering for him? It's not like he'd been proven innocent or anything. I honestly don't understand the world we live in...

If you wanted the truth about their motivations it is they don't believe he was a murderer. Some of them will cheer him as their soldier revenging the bomb attacks Libya suffered from us in the 1980s. Most of them believe our justice system is corrupt and do not trust it and so us finding him guilty/innocent is irrelevant to them.
Reply 22
Original post by bkeevin
If you wanted the truth about their motivations it is they don't believe he was a murderer. Some of them will cheer him as their soldier revenging the bomb attacks Libya suffered from us in the 1980s. Most of them believe our justice system is corrupt and do not trust it and so us finding him guilty/innocent is irrelevant to them.

Ah I did not know that. Interesting info.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Who the hell is we? There is no "we"? I wish people would stop using that term.

Kenny McAskill made the decision.

U quoted the wrong person ... u were meant to quote the guy below
Reply 24
Good result....for the people that form opinions from The Screws of the World (er...) or The Wail.

Before forming an opinion, and before risking looking a complete tool, perhaps some research on the subject would be good. I'd Recommend affected family member Dr Jim Swires interview and investigative journalist Paul Foots report. I'd further point you towards wiki for an overview and revelations since the incident and trial and finally to simply to ask why one of the three judges walked out of the trail calling it a 'circus'.

Even without the aid of a tin foil hat, any reasonable person has to wonder at the timing of his release - just before his second appeal was due to start (thanks to intervention from the Scottish Criminal cases Review Commission who had found "a miscarriage of justice may have occurred") and just after Tony Blair had made lucrative deals with Qadaffi regarding oil.

Hans Kochler, the UN observer called the trial of Megrahi: "a spectacular miscarriage of justice".

But please, continue to jump up and down with joy at the death of someone you were told was guilty, we wouldn't want everyone to think for themselves now would we...?
No, but just so happy that he is rid off now. Is it sick that I am so overjoyed?
Reply 26
Not 'sick' Bubblyminty, just ignorant.
I doubt he did it. Many others were obviously involved with the planning, and completion of this. Furthermore, questions have still not been answered about the security failings at the airport at the time.

RIP
Good riddance.
He should never have been released. Once you have done something like that you lose all right to compassion.
Original post by Cyanohydrin
In America killing innocent Muslims gets you a heroes welcome and a presidential inauguration.

Owned. Well played.
Reply 30
He had treatments that was not given to him by the nhs, and drugs not offers by the nhs, check it up. they prolonged his life.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Who the hell is we? There is no "we"? I wish people would stop using that term.

Kenny McAskill made the decision.

Actually, Scottish Law made the decision, there's a clear precedent for compassionate release if a prisoner is predicted to have less than three months to live (there is the obvious problem of Megrahi living substantially longer than three months, but that's much more down to the doctor than MacAskill)
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Actually, Scottish Law made the decision, there's a clear precedent for compassionate release if a prisoner is predicted to have less than three months to live (there is the obvious problem of Megrahi living substantially longer than three months, but that's much more down to the doctor than MacAskill)

I know the precedent is there, but it's only at the discretion of the justice secretary, not an obligation on his part.
Reply 33
I dont understand what he actually did - cba reading wikipedia

Did he plan it all? if so wasnt there some article about it actually being Gaddafi who planned it
Reply 34
They released him to secure oil trades with Libya, of course.
Original post by QwertyG
I dont understand what he actually did - cba reading wikipedia

Did he plan it all? if so wasnt there some article about it actually being Gaddafi who planned it

There's a lot of happenstance around it, but it was likely planned by the top level of Libya's version of Mi6, which was led by a bloke called Abdullah Al-Senoussi. I don't know whether they got him or not during the civil war, but I'd think he was a likely candidate.

The attack was also a balls-up, the timer was meant to blow the plane up over the Atlantic so they'd never know that it was a terrorist hit - it was the fact that the plane was held up in Frankfurt that meant it went boom over Lockerbie. There was a bit of speculation that it wasn't the Libyans, but the Iranians, as a retaliation to a US Warship shooting down an Iranian passenger plane. I'm not exactly sure - my History teacher worked for the African Union at one point and is still as he says "pretty chummy with diplomatic types", so I trust his info as being pretty reliable.
I'm glad that rat is no longer wasting our oxygen. But he should have died in prison.
Reply 37
Original post by Cyanohydrin
In America killing innocent Muslims gets you a heroes welcome and a presidential inauguration.

innocents are not celebrated, every innocent death as a result of military action is tried to be avoided. Can you give any specific examples?
For interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

On topic: as others have said, the evidence against him was shaky, and he certainly wasn't the only perpetrator. The law must be compassionate, and while he has had the temerity to outlive his expected time, he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) caused any harm or done any damage since being released.

I also remember seeing something in the Private Eye ages ago about a criminal released on compassionate leave who survived 19 years, and no one kicked up this sort of fuss. Megrahi may have survived longer than we thought he would, but he still had cancer throughout that time, didn't he? He wasn't having a laugh at how he was fit as a fiddle and had tricked those silly Scots.
Original post by derangedyoshi
For interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

On topic: as others have said, the evidence against him was shaky, and he certainly wasn't the only perpetrator. The law must be compassionate, and while he has had the temerity to outlive his expected time, he hasn't (as far as I'm aware) caused any harm or done any damage since being released.

I also remember seeing something in the Private Eye ages ago about a criminal released on compassionate leave who survived 19 years, and no one kicked up this sort of fuss. Megrahi may have survived longer than we thought he would, but he still had cancer throughout that time, didn't he? He wasn't having a laugh at how he was fit as a fiddle and had tricked those silly Scots.

Ronnie Biggs as well released almost the exact same day as Megrahi, still alive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending