The Student Room Group

Faulty laptop charger- charges for a few seconds

when i plug my laptop charger in to my laptop it starts charging for about 15-20 seconds before it stops charging. If i unplug then plug back in it charges in another 15-20 second spurt.

At first i thought must be a dodgy connection, but then i plugged it in and waited for it to stop charging switched it off at the wall and back on again and it charged for another 15-20 seconds (no wires were moved so i guess that rules out dodgy connection??).

Any ideas what's wrong here? it doesn't seem like a dodgy connection cos no matter how much riggling i try it doesn't come back on until i unplug it and plug it back in again.

Thanks

Dom

EDIT: Just noticed the battery light on the front is solid orange when it's charging, then when it stops charging but the charger is still plugged in it is flashing orange, if nothing is plugged in it's off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BabyfacedDom
when i plug my laptop charger in to my laptop it starts charging for about 15-20 seconds before it stops charging. If i unplug then plug back in it charges in another 15-20 second spurt.

At first i thought must be a dodgy connection, but then i plugged it in and waited for it to stop charging switched it off at the wall and back on again and it charged for another 15-20 seconds (no wires were moved so i guess that rules out dodgy connection??).

Any ideas what's wrong here? it doesn't seem like a dodgy connection cos no matter how much riggling i try it doesn't come back on until i unplug it and plug it back in again.

Thanks

Dom

Check the fuse in the plug.
Also what laptop is it?
Original post by Iqbal007
Check the fuse in the plug.
Also what laptop is it?

It's an acer aspire 5532

the charger itself is always on but the laptop only charges in short bursts
Reply 3
It's an acer aspire 5532

the charger itself is always on but the laptop only charges in short bursts

Seems like other people have a issue with it as well......have you still got warranty?

Because it's either the charger isn't working or the battery is dying, so try to see if the charger charges another similar laptop if you can.
Reply 4
If you still have the warranty take it back!!
Sure it's not just a knackered battery? My old Acer did that.
Reply 6
Definitely sounds more like the battery has had it.
How long have you had the laptop?

Best thing to do is remove the battery, and just connect it to the wall. If you let the battery rest for a few weeks - it may charge a bit, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Perfect excuse to get a new laptop tbh.
just tried my dads acer charger and it works fine which suggests it's my charger.

Another new charger this will be my third for this laptop.
Reply 8
just tried my dads acer charger and it works fine which suggests it's my charger.

Another new charger this will be my third for this laptop.

Seems like a bunch of faulty chargers :/ did you try the charger on your dads laptop as well to make sure it's not the battery?
Original post by Iqbal007
Seems like a bunch of faulty chargers :/ did you try the charger on your dads laptop as well to make sure it's not the battery?

not yet he said he will try on his at somepoint.

I've just switched my laptop off and took the battery out, put it back in and my charger works again.
Reply 10
not yet he said he will try on his at somepoint.

I've just switched my laptop off and took the battery out, put it back in and my charger works again.

maybe it was a issue on the gold connectors

Quick Reply